Why are Android users so upset by the 5?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
You know what they say, "People are scared of what they don't know". Hence some Android users are scared of the iPhone 5, they'd hate to feel like they are cheating or something. LOL

Mellimel22

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
Not exactly. Skins have been known to break pure Android functions. What you may be able to do with your Nexus doesn't by any stretch of the imagination mean that Samsung was able to properly accomplish the same task after adding TouchWiz over top of either ICS or JB.

The feature is called voice dialing lol and my best friends ascend 2 on cricket can do that :beer:

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2

Mellimel22

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
You know what they say, "People are scared of what they don't know". Hence some Android users are scared of the iPhone 5, they'd hate to feel like they are cheating or something. LOL

LOL WHATS NEW IN IOS THAT HASN'T BEEN SEEN ALREADY BRO LOL...... DONT WORRY ILL WAIT HAHA

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
Do you know who I am? Google me, I'm Distinguished and use multiple devices :)

Samsung Galaxy S3, BlackBerry Bold 9900 and an iPhone 5. Yep, scary.

LOL WHATS NEW IN IOS THAT HASN'T BEEN SEEN ALREADY BRO LOL...... DONT WORRY ILL WAIT HAHA

nj1266

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

I saw this video. I am talking about navigating to an address in my contacts attached to a name. For example, with the iPhone 5 I can tell Siri "navigate to my brother" and Siri will open up maps and start a turn-by-turn navigation to the address of Jude Dahi who Siri knows is my brother.

When I do that with the google now or from the google search with the microphone it does not work. I get a search if places that have "brother" in them.

The video does NOT show me anything that is new. Believe me when I tell you that I have searched and found nothing of what I was looking for.

Sent from my iPhone 7

nj1266

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
The feature is called voice dialing lol and my best friends ascend 2 on cricket can do that :beer:

Please show me where the GS3 can do what I just posted I wanted to do in my previous post. I really want to know if JB with touch wiz can do it. This is an important feature for me since I do not have nav in any if my cars and I do not have a hand held nav either. My phone is my Nav and it must work with voice commands from my CONTACTS.

Sent from my iPhone 7

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site

Really? Voice dialing gives you turn by turn directions? I guess Android is more complicated than it looks, cause when I use voice dialing on my iPhone I just make a call. I'd hate to try voice dialing and wind up at someone's house by mistake.

RicHerdez

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
all of the skins applied over google aosp have to be integrated into the features that google aosp has created. yet some of these skins have not ironed out all the bugs so you get features that are supposed to work that are not at the moment. you can take the long route and complain to Samsung. I know this feature works on my wifes Motorola RAZR M, which runs jelly bean.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I believe that was the whole point. Not all Android features work on all Android phones - regardless of the version of Android installed.

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
This is what I would be upset with if I was a iOS user:

The 5, and even the 4 series, is without a doubt a stunning and beautiful, cutting-edge piece of hardware that is being held back by iOS. If your needs are simple, then you have the perfect phone for you... however, if you are a power user, there are some really irksome quirks imposed by iOS on a typical power user.

iOS denies cross-app local storage and the ability of apps to securely talk to each other. Example: If I get a PDF file via email and want to use it in some other app. With iOS, the developers have to take care of this issue themselves which leaves you with a hit or miss experience. I have had to take a file, upload it to DropBox, and then re-download to the app I wanted to open the file in (I was lucky the other app had DropBox integration). That's crazy Apple.... Android's cross-app local storage is built in at the OS level and virtually every app has access to the storage file system... Apple denies this? Why???

Change the Default Handlers..... it is impossible to do this on iOS. Android lets you change and unchange your default handlers with ease. Wouldnt it be nice to click on a map location on Safari and have it open Google Maps instead of Apple's Map program? Not gonna happen.

With Android, I feel like I am using an extension of my laptop. With iOS, I feel that I am using a feature phone that happens to run apps.

I love the industrial simplistic design of the i5. I am not upset by the 5 at all..... but I am upset by iOS, its stale and it handcuffs advanced users IMO.

Last edited:

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Apple does offer limited changing of certain default handlers...specifically, the use of various search engines within Safari. That said, it would be nice to have the ability to change maps if you preferred Google Maps to Apple Maps, but given Apples investment into their new maps system, doesn't seem a bit odd to expect them to allow their system to bypass their developed system to that of a competitor? I highly doubt any Android device would ever let the user switch from Google Maps to Apple Maps if an app were available and the user wanted to switch, but that's hypothetical, so i'll stop there.

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I highly doubt any Android device would ever let the user switch from Google Maps to Apple Maps if an app were available and the user wanted to switch, but that's hypothetical, so i'll stop there.

While not Apple Maps, my Verizon Note 2 was preloaded with Verizon Navigation, which is a direct competitor with Google's own Map/Navigation app. I do have the option to make the Verizon app the default handler. I cant speak for Sprint, ATT or T-mob... but I believe some, if not all have their own Nav app and would assume they can change theirs as well.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I don't think the carrier navigation offerings are a fair comparison though, since they are not really their own product, but pre-existing product with their carrier brand slapped on it for marketing sake. Tom Tom or Garmin would be fair, but they don't ever natively offer their products to these devices...

nj1266

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
You can use many navigation apps natively through Siri. All you have to do is state "via transit" at the end of the navigation command and then select the one you want from a list. I have used google maps and motionX by adding via transit at the end of the spoken navigation command.

Sent from my iPhone 7

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
If your iPhone 5 screen is pixelated then one of two things is likely the cause. Either it is a defective unit, or you are viewing it under a high powered microscope lens, which, if that is the case then I suggest not doing so.

I've had three different iPhone 5's, all had/have a pixilated screen. No high powered microscopes involved, your theory is flawed.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I've had three different iPhone 5's, all had/have a pixilated screen. No high powered microscopes involved, your theory is flawed.

Oh I believe you! It's quite common. Like earlier today, someone mentioned the sun was purple. At first I didn't believe him, but, he said he saw it turn purple three different days so he HAD to be telling the truth.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Oh I believe you! It's quite common. Like earlier today, someone mentioned the sun was purple. At first I didn't believe him, but, he said he saw it turn purple three different days so he HAD to be telling the truth.

You know...like every other isheep, you're in denial that there's vastly superior devices out there. And yes, I can say this as I own apple products. Also, why would I be lying about a highly pixelated screen? Trust me, I've got more important things to do with my time than make stuff like this up.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
You know, people like you were who I used to beat in high school. Like every other isheep, you're in denial that there's vastly superior devices out there. And yes, I can say this as I own apple products.

Uh oh, please don't beat me up. Now you have me so frightened I can barely type!
On the real get goin with that nonsense. Isheep? Really that's all you've got? You are the quintessential example of why this thread was created. I've owned the Galaxy Nexus, HTC Rezound, Galaxy S3 and most recently the Note 2. I've made my choice and am content. Meanwhile the chip on your weak shoulders continues to grow.
PS, I'm still waiting to hear how your S3 "runs circles" around the the iPhone 5. Perhaps when your done beating up 12 year olds for lunch money you can finally come up with something valid.

And after all that nonsense you go and edit your original post! HA! Go to bed son.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox