Why are Android users so upset by the 5?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
A girl friend of mine was debating for some time what to switch to from her Blackberry Bold 9780. She was debating between the iPhone 4S or Galaxy S2. At the time I recommended the 4S, as I myself went from a Blackberry to the iPhone (no regrets there either). Since she would be doing a similar switch I informed her of my likes and dislikes of switching from a Blackberry to a Galaxy S2 (which I did for about two weeks and was not satisfied at all). Then I gave her my opinion on switching to Blackberry to the 4S. So she's heard both sides of the story from me and this could help her decide. Not to mention the amount of times I've helped her troubleshoot her technology (phones, laptops, etc.).

Now check this out. When her contract was up she decided to stick it out to see what the Galaxy S3 would be like. I then suggested the iPhone 5 won't be too far behind so might as well wait it out and see which of the two you like. She couldn't handle the wait and shelled out for the S3. Which is totally fine by me. To each their own I say, This was about a month or so after the phone was released. So a lot of time has passed since then. No talk about phones or anything as of late. Once she got over the "I have a new phone eeeee" phase she was back to normal when it came to communication and what not.

Now when the iPhone 5 was announced last week, I got a random message from her. It actually ticked me off. She says, "The new iPhone is a joke! Good thing I didn't wait for it!" to which I replied, "Why are you even bothering with it you just got the new S3? Aren't you happy with it? Did you want to see what you missed out on or something?"

When the S3 came out I wasn't all over it or reading every single detail about it because I am happy with what I have for now. If I was looking to switch then sure I'd be checking out other options or waiting for the iPhone 5 right? I mean who in their right mind buys an S3 and then *****es about the iPhone 5. I didn't post everything she said but it sure as hell sounded like she had buyers remorse. Or one of those people that always has to compare, or say mine is better than yours! Yeah screw you buddy!

Just wanted to share this story in this thread because I believe it belongs here!

PS - Dear friend if you ever happen to read this by some stroke of luck, well then you should be glad I used you as an example. You have no idea how much of an ass you sounded like. I know you've heard this all before but maybe seeing it here will knock some sense in to you. Until we meet again, ciao for now!

So the fact that YOU suggested she wait for the iPhone 5 had nothing to do with her informing you of why she's glad she didn't wait for the iPhone 5 YOU suggested she wait for, huh? And now she's the ass for telling you her honest opinion on the phone YOU suggested she wait for?

Just wanted to understand your point here....

Smh....

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
This is incorrect. It's about this culture Apple has created. They implement features that have been around and tout them as new and theirs. And the masses buy into it. They began litigating over innovating. Android is all about the open nature. Android users truly believe in innovation and progression. Apple doesn't when it pertains to others. So Android users see a phone like the i5 and they've been there and had that yet its hailed as the best thing ever. It's almost like Android is the Cinderella who was forced to do all the work yet never gets credit. And when the iPhone does it suddenly its important. Look at the improved notifications on iOS that Android has had for years. The 4 inch screen. LTE capabilities. A panoramic camera. Turn by turn GPS. These are all now important features yet I had all these items last year.

That's why Android users are mad. Some understand Apple makes a good product. It's just the pedestal Apple is placed on that frustrates.

So your opinion of what the problem is is some how more correct than my own? Interesting.

Droidrage729

May 31, 2012
Visit site
OK don't stone me to death whether you agree or not its still funny. While I'm getting the i5 I still think its ridiculous To wait hours in line for any device. ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf5-Prx19ZM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I love the advertisements, always cool to see Samsung using their dollars to rip on the iPhone while they try to figure out how they are going to explain such an abysmal 4th quarter. Oh well, better luck next time...

moneymike47

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Samsung wastes their money trying to crap on Apple, meanwhile they just paid them a billion dollars in lawsuits for patent infringements

mc511#CB

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
To be honest i love the iphone 5 and i think it will be an amazing phone. I know my friends will grab it, and will love it. I know friends of mine will grab the galaxy s3 and will love it as well. The problem is the media and Apple in some cases treats every feature that the iphone has, as something new and awesome that people need to have. For example apple seemed to have solved an issue with the new dock connector by making it connect making it irreversible. I have had so many apple devices and a few android devices to not even had this become an issue. but apple made it an issue and told us how they fixed it? The phone is a very well thought out device in both design and OS but if you look at the specs...yeah android is already there. In terms of screen, antenna, power. I will admit that the iphone will be the fastest phone on the market cause its extremely well optimized. That means alot to power users like me but then again i have never had a problem with a dual core device keeping up with me. As far as battery life is concerned i am going to wait on real world tests before i jump in and say its the best but with my 3gs i had to charge it every night before bed time. As far as the S3 goes i think its a great phone as well. Its hard for me to decide between the two when they are so close in many of the features and such. Both have LTE, both have high res screens, both will run all the apps you need. They both look nice regardless of the material that makes them.

People have to stop thinking that a person who buys one device is an idiot because they choose something you think is inferior. Its just what works for you. Here what works for us is iOS. Over at AC its android. Neither party is better than the other.

chiratsu

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
because
6a00d8341ca2da53ef01348968dd8e970c-800wi

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I can't speak for other users, but as someone who has/does own many different types of SMARTphones and is anxiously waiting for his new iP5 64GB on Verizon I am at a loss for words for all sides.

The attitude that one OS/hardware is better than another's is subjective, personal and at best far more complicated than the reviewers give credit for.

Buy what works for you and what makes you happy, that is what I do.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I can't speak for other users, but as someone who has/does own many different types of SMARTphones and is anxiously waiting for his new iP5 64GB on Verizon I am at a loss for words for all sides.

The attitude that one OS/hardware is better than another's is subjective, personal and at best far more complicated than the reviewers give credit for.

Exactly this. I am running a Galaxy S3 and an iPhone 5 back to back at the moment.

I used to have an iPhone 4 (my third iteration of iPhones) but didn't upgrade to a 4S as I didn't consider it enough of an upgrade to warrant it. Instead, I went out and bought an Android phone so I could see for myself what all the fuss was about.

After a few months of owning the SGS3, I can honestly say that for me, the Android phone loses to the iPhone. Android OS just does not do what I want it to do, when I want it to do it, with the least fuss. iOS may not have as many functions as Android, and the iPhone may not have all the bells and whistles of the SGS3 but to be honest, I didn't use half of the gimmicky functions on the SGS3, like picture-in-picture, smart stay (didn't work properly anyway) or NFC (no NFC terminals anywhere near where I live or work), so i'm not going to miss them.

What the iPhone does, it does perfectly, with little fuss. It's wrapped in a beautiful skin, unlike the cheap-looking and plastic SGS3.

So this is purely my opinion and a totally subjective view, but I honestly prefer the iPhone and I don't care whether people respect me more or less for that.

Attachments

• iphone.sgs3.jpg
    iphone.sgs3.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:

IIJBII

Jul 24, 2004
Visit site

I agree. I think they are both great platforms. Get what fits your needs. I guess it's like the Chevy vs Dodge battles!

NoNeckNick

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I think it completley up to you as to what phone you want.Why should anyone else care what you use, as long as your happy with it is all that should matter. I mean most of the times you are the one buying your phone(there are some exceptions).If you are ever unhappy with the phone you have ,sell it :)
I don't currently have an iphone still researching all my options

Icyhot1966

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
I've use the S3 and I've used every iPhone since the 3GS. The absolute biggest flaw of the S3 was reception. I couldn't even make a call in my own house. It was horrendous.

michikade#AC

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
To me, it's kind of a silly debate. The choice is really based on what you want your phone to do. I've had blackberry smartphones, android based phones, and this is my first iOS phone. I can find merits in all of them.

Blackberry - wow, I miss my Curve's keyboard. And I haven't had a phone since I upgraded from my Bold that has handled push notifications so beautifully while being really kind to the battery.

Android - fully customizable, very fast, and really cool features. Tends to be the first to adapt new technology, too. Also, since Android is open source, there are adaptations everywhere from 3.2" to 5" screen sizes and they fit in everyone's budget, yet are still powerful, even the lower end ones.

IOS - what can I say that hasn't been said a million times over? If not for iPhones, the phone game wouldn't be what it is. The original iPhone opened up the door to push all smartphones into being better, stronger, more advanced hand held computers.

I'm a lot less loyal to a certain kind of operating system than I am to wanting a phone that works and does what I need it to do.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm a lot less loyal to a certain kind of operating system than I am to wanting a phone that works and does what I need it to do.

Yes, this is surely the most sensible approach to phones and I wish the vast majority of people had this same approach. I said pretty much exactly the same in my post above yours. For me, the Android phone didn't do what I wanted it to do, when I wanted it to do it, with the least fuss, so back to an iPhone for me. Just a sensible decision really, not borne out of any kind of brand loyalty, just a view based on which will deliver the experience I want and need from a phone.

metrion

Banned
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Samsung wastes their money trying to crap on Apple, meanwhile they just paid them a billion dollars in lawsuits for patent infringements

It's funny though. The commercials are actually very accurate. Standing in line. "Now we're getting what we were supposed to get last year!' so pathetic. Lol.

baseballbert

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
That commercial is hilarious! You have to admit there IS a segment of fanboys/girls that are accurately depicted here.

If it was the other way around theyd show people talking about how they love to flash their phones every ten mins and customize their screens 40 times a week. Then there'd probably be some malware/battery pull reference.

I love when the parents walk up to show how mainstream the iPhone is and that it isn't the insiders cool phone it once was.

Love it!

Status
Not open for further replies.