Why are Android users so upset by the 5?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
Thankfully Nokia has a phone for the tiny niche of users that are hell bent about using gloves when they want to use their phone...and want a yellow (lmao) casing around it while trying to be a cinematographer using a cell phone when they really have no need for the feature that is being touted as such a detrimental feature. Also don't be surprised if your precious Nokia is missing any actual use for NFC as well.

Don't forget inductive wireless charging, which is supposed to make up for the utterly ****ty and crappy apps on the Windows marketplace.

See, I can criticize Windows phone because I used to have one. The ****ty and crappy Windows marketplace made me give it up after a month.

Reactions: RoboWarrior

thebizz

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I have a HTC evo lte and I'm not mad about this phone ts quite the opposite I want it. The main reason being it just works not like some android devices that are riddled with bugs or some high end devices that never get a single major update(I'm looking at you DROID 3) honestly I just need a change. I've gotten tired of rooting my phone just to get rid of bugs that should have been found before the release of a phone or update. Oh and I still find it funny that people talk about how the l920 has a fast refresh rate not noticing that other phones have the same thing. Oh and those that say they don't need nfc etc just wait until apple releases a phone with it and it will be the best thing ever

RoboWarrior

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Your source is from a person who wanted to nuke an OS development. I consider that kind of insane.

And yes Apple did steal some ideas, just not all of them.

They did but they bought the company that they stole the idea from. That's the difference. IF Samsung bought Apple then theoretically they invented the iPhone am I right?

RoboWarrior

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
I've been an Android user for several years and still will be - for 6 more days. I've been totally fed up with the horrible performance and constant issues with my Droid X2 that I've been waiting for this day for a while. Don't get me wrong, I like the concept of Android - it just isn't working. I'm a software engineer and don't have any fear of rooting my phone to try to fix problems, but why?? I've had this phone for 10 months and hated it for the last 6. A lot of the current issues might be solved by ICS, but VZ and Moto decided that 6 months after bringing out a brand new phone model that it will NEVER get an OS upgrade. Really?? iOS 6 will be available on all iPhone models back to the 3 - next week. That's how to support your customers. I had my iPhone 5 on pre-order at 3:13ET last night and as of next Friday will be an iPhone owner forever. Just hope some of those loyal Android fanboys are looking for a like-new DX2 when it goes on eBay next week...
I agree. Luckily my contract is up but when I got the HTC Inspire, I thought it was the best thing in the world because of the awesome development. Then HTC's manufacturing got in the way. The phone's build quality isn't bad but the parts never seem to fit right. The battery case always popped off ( if you own this phone you know what I mean) and I had this replaced 4 times. On my fourth one and the display is peeling off. Don't get me wrong, I love android's software but it's just the manufacturers can't get the build quality like Apple does. Also I got pretty pissed when I heard Hipstamatic won't make an app for Android. Going to be upgrading to the 5.

baseballbert

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm not an Android user, but as a future Lumia 920 owner I'm not upset at all.

The iPhone5 has no NFC, no inductive wireless charging, no OIS for the camera, no Super-sensitive touch screen, no Gorilla Glass 2, no exciting colors, no HAAC rich recording, it has lower pixels-per-inch (PPI) on the display, smaller display, worse battery life, worst camera specs, slower display refresh-rate. And you can't wear gloves while using it.

Time to switch for Lumia 920. Nokia put the bar too high and Apple couldn't match it. Simple as that!

+1, I totally agree! Before people go bat s**t crazy, I've had the 3, 3GS, 4, 4S
, two iPads, three nanos and an iPod touch so I'm more than familiar with ios and how good it was.

Other than LTE, his years iPhone isn't much of an upgrade to the 4S. The other reason I know this is because I'd say about 75+% of the iPhone users I know aren't upgrading this time around because they feel the same way: they really like their 4S and just don't do t see the need to upgrade. This is based on what I've seen on their fb posts.

Plus the red and yellow options are looking pretty sweet of the 920!

Last edited:

Icyhot1966

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
NFC and wireless charging...I see that over and over, and now its time for my .02.....

NFC is really nothing right now. And I honestly think until Apple decides to go with it, it will stay irrelevant, like the tablet market. Once Apple got in the game, the tablet market, more specifically the iPad, caught fire and exploded. Apple is the heaviest of heavyweights. Not Google, not Microsoft and sure as hell not Nokia. Apple rules. They will be the worlds first trillion dollar company. They make the finest hardware (that title used to belong to Nokia but Nokia got complacent). So until Apple decides to go with NFC, then and only then will it explode.

As for wireless charging...are you kidding me?? I gotta plug a mat in somewhere and lay my phone on top of it to charge it? I may as well take the extra second and actually plug my phone in......

Now you wanna talk about a great idea?? Make it where my phone connects to my wireless charger when I get within 500 feet (like it connects to my home Wifi). Make it where my phone is charging when its anywhere in my house, i.e. in my hand when I am using it or when it's laying on the nightstand beside my bed. Then, I would call that wireless charging and a game changer. Nokia isn't doing anything everyone else hasn't done, and to me, that isn't a game changer.

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
"NFC is really nothing right now."

I see PayPass pretty much everywhere I go. So I am not sure what you are meaning by "nothing". I can only think that its nothing to YOU. And thats ok.... from your perspective it might be nothing, but thats not the case based on what I experience practically everyday.

Wireless charging.... you only have to plug a mat in once... you have to plug your phone in every time. There is a difference.

Icyhot1966

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site

I see PayPass pretty much everywhere I go. So I am not sure what you are meaning by "nothing". I can only think that its nothing to YOU. And thats ok.... from your perspective it might be nothing, but thats not the case based on what I experience practically everyday.

Wireless charging.... you only have to plug a mat in once... you have to plug your phone in every time. There is a difference.

Yes there is a difference between plugging your phone in every time and plugging it in once. About 2 seconds difference. Do you have wireless charging in your car? At work? Multiple rooms in your house?? Ya see, I have a charger in the kitchen, living room, computer room and bedroom. They are not obtrusive and they are out of the way. How many rooms do you have wireless charging ing??

Relatively speaking, NFC is nothing. It has NOT caught on with the masses. YOU are just an individual. So it works for you. But as a whole, its nothing in this country. If it was something, it would be in every phone made, like a camera.

See, Google thought this Google wallet was gonna be the next big thing, but I ask you....is it??

moneymike47

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

Paypass may be widely available ( I honestly couldn't tell you because I don't even look since I don't have it myself) but I can say firsthand that if it is so widely available, how come I have never seen anyone ever using it?

Second, wireless charging is the DUMBEST thing right now. I think it is a baby step in the right direction towards actual wireless charging, but as is right now I'd rather have it plugged in because it's a pain in the ass that it has to be on the mat. I like my phone right next to my pillow so the alarm will wake me up, plus once it's on the mat, if you get a text or wanna use your phone, you either have to keep it on the mat or take it off and put it back on which means it'll keep charging, disconnecting and charging and disconnecting etc... Which totally defeats the purpose.

I think the funny thing that you see the commercial for some other phones and they're main selling point for one phone is you can take a pic while recording and another selling point for another phone is photo stream among your friends; meanwhile the iPhone 5 will have all that plus more; and the features like NFC and wireless charging that the iPhone 5 doesn't have, it doesn't really need. I think Apple is waiting for NFC to become bigger and have a more practical use and is waiting to include wireless charging once it becomes revolutionized to true wireless charging, whether apple creates it or not.

GreatNeal

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
Lol I'm still laughing at the amount of retarded people talking about wireless charging.
If you ask the an average consumer what he thinks wireless charging would be.
He would probably tell you that hmm I think it's something where you plug a charger to a wall socket and within a certain radius, our phones will be able to charged. Like radiation.
THAT'S TRUE WIRELESS Charging.
Not some stupid concept where you still have to have that phone placed at some stationary spot. What's the difference between charging with a wire then?

johndhynes

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
I've used wireless charging with the 3GS, 4 and 4S. It is definitely a convenience, especially compared to trying to figure out which direction the plug goes in the dark. The upshot is that it stays on the charging pad more often than it was plugged in, just because it's easier, so now it always stays fully charged. Also, I don't wear out the cord anymore. My first 3GS cord only lasted a few months. My 4S cord is still in the box. On the other hand, it's not like I couldn't live without it. I won't be able to use it with my 5, and I'm OK with that.

It's interesting to note that with the charging case on, the 4 and 4S are 124 cm long, exactly the same as the 5, so I'm already used to the length. I'm also used to using a little micro-USB when I'm not home, about the same size as Lightning. Unfortunately micro-USB seems to be more delicate and wears out. It also has the orientation issue in the dark. I'm looking forward to using Lightning. The easier it is to use, the more it'll get plugged in.

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Lol I'm still laughing at the amount of retarded people talking about wireless charging.
Not some stupid concept where you still have to have that phone placed at some stationary spot. What's the difference between charging with a wire then?

If you have ever used "wireless" charging, then you would know the difference.... unless you are one of those "retarded people" you are referring to.

Just sayin...

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Relatively speaking, NFC is nothing. It has NOT caught on with the masses. YOU are just an individual. So it works for you. But as a whole, its nothing in this country. If it was something, it would be in every phone made, like a camera.

See, Google thought this Google wallet was gonna be the next big thing, but I ask you....is it??

So...... picture messaging did not catch on until Apple put MMS in iOS 3?

I believe iOS 6 is finally adding call reject with message. I have had that feature on many many smart phones ago.

You can't attach a pdf or office file, or for any file format other than a picture or video file with iOS 6's native email client. I guess it hasnt caught on with the masses?

I can list more. However, my point is Apple doesn't always lead the way in adoption of technology/features, in fact, sometimes its the opposite. It follows.

Samsung and HTC have NFC phones and Windows Mobile 8/Nokia will have NFC. The Droid Razr M, Droid Razr HD and Droid Razr Maxx HD will have NFC. Other than Apple, thats pretty much the smartphone universe.

This is just my opinion, but a lack of NFC in the iPhone is very similar to the iPhone/MMS issue of the past.

NFC isnt just about a virtual wallet, however, if you never had a NFC capable phone, how would you know?

Dont get me wrong... I love the iPhone 5 and have one pre-ordered. I want the iPhone to be the best phone it can be. I think the lack of NFC is a point Apple missed.

Last edited:

xofruitcake

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
This is just my opinion, but a lack of NFC in the iPhone is very similar to the iPhone/MMS issue of the past.

NFC isnt just about a virtual wallet, however, if you never had a NFC capable phone, how would you know?

I don't own any NFC capable phone but I can read the advertisement. So far I think the feature that Samsung show off is the ability to exchange picture with two NFC bumping phone by bumping the phone (and hit a few key on the screen to authority the transfer). how is it better than email or show picture in FB? One of new NFC phone show that you can bump the phone on a boombox and start streaming music through bluetooth. Is it better than using airplay to stream music to Apple TV and the sound system that hook up on the Apple TV? I don't think I like the idea to spend money to buy an NFC capable sound system while I already has a perfectly workable sound system attached to Apple TV already...

So what else can I do with NFC today? If I am change smartphone every 2 years, I want to have the feature usable today right out the box to maximize my return on the money I spent on the phone. The hard truth about NFC in my book is that there is nothing much out there that need the NFC function and it will be part of the phone that no one use for a long time. If you live in Japan where they use NFC to make payment everyday, you have a very legitimate beef with Apple. But for everyone else, NFC is a not even a good toy (you have to be able to play with it to classify it as a toy and I am struggling to figure a way to show this feature off to my wife. ), it is just a marketing hype. It is like my 3D TV, there is no content broadcast with 3D. So the 3D mode is sitting there unused. Fortunately the 2D mode is spectacular, so I am o.k. I think we all notice that the 3D TV hype is gone from the market now.. So will NFC until someone figure out a NFC killer app.

Smartphone basic function are more or less completed at this point. And new feature is getting more and more esoteric and only very few people really use it. One good thing about Iphone 5 is that it put efforts into things that we use everyday, lighter weight, thinner, better construction, more elegant look, faster speed, more camera function, better picture, better video conference, better earphone, better microphone for conversation. Those are not marketing feature, but one that I can use everyday and appreciate them everyday.. Now thin, light weight and elegant design is in. Let the industry respond.. I want to see how long it will take before the rest of smartphone company can respond with a thinner and lighter weight and better usage smartphone instead of just adding feature that I will never use..

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I don't own any NFC capable phone but I can read the advertisement. So far I think the feature that Samsung show off is the ability to exchange picture with two NFC bumping phone by bumping the phone (and hit a few key on the screen to authority the transfer). how is it better than email or show picture in FB? One of new NFC phone show that you can bump the phone on a boombox and start streaming music through bluetooth. Is it better than using airplay to stream music to Apple TV and the sound system that hook up on the Apple TV? I don't think I like the idea to spend money to buy an NFC capable sound system while I already has a perfectly workable sound system attached to Apple TV already...

So what else can I do with NFC today? If I am change smartphone every 2 years, I want to have the feature usable today right out the box to maximize my return on the money I spent on the phone. The hard truth about NFC in my book is that there is nothing much out there that need the NFC function and it will be part of the phone that no one use for a long time. If you live in Japan where they use NFC to make payment everyday, you have a very legitimate beef with Apple. But for everyone else, NFC is a not even a good toy (you have to be able to play with it to classify it as a toy and I am struggling to figure a way to show this feature off to my wife. ), it is just a marketing hype. It is like my 3D TV, there is no content broadcast with 3D. So the 3D mode is sitting there unused. Fortunately the 2D mode is spectacular, so I am o.k. I think we all notice that the 3D TV hype is gone from the market now.. So will NFC until someone figure out a NFC killer app.

Smartphone basic function are more or less completed at this point. And new feature is getting more and more esoteric and only very few people really use it. One good thing about Iphone 5 is that it put efforts into things that we use everyday, lighter weight, thinner, better construction, more elegant look, faster speed, more camera function, better picture, better video conference, better earphone, better microphone for conversation. Those are not marketing feature, but one that I can use everyday and appreciate them everyday.. Now thin, light weight and elegant design is in. Let the industry respond.. I want to see how long it will take before the rest of smartphone company can respond with a thinner and lighter weight and better usage smartphone instead of just adding feature that I will never use..

So, in a nut shell, everything the new iPhone doesn't have is an advantage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro