Why are Android users so upset by the 5?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
So, in a nut shell, everything the new iPhone doesn't have is an advantage?

The real nutshell is those that really want NFC should buy a phone that has it, and cease the incessant whining that the iPhone doesn't have it, and get over it.

dwayne.williams

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
The real nutshell is those that really want NFC should buy a phone that has it, and cease the incessant whining that the iPhone doesn't have it, and get over it.

This is the best comment on this thread. Why are we forgetting that we have choices? If you don't like the size of the iPhone then get a smartphone with a bigger screen, there are tons. If you want NFC, there are phones with NFC. If you want customization or a different UI, or widgets, there are phones that offer that. Why keep complaining about what the iPhone doesn't have when there are other phones that may offer those particular features? We have choices.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

GPAbsinthe

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
THEY can say whateeever they want. I knew where my money was going from the start, and now I know it even more. I mean, everybody watched that video that uploaded last wednesday on Apple's website, right? The way they make the iPhone. When I hear about any new feature out there, most of the time I don't really care. But that video hits the spot. The polishing of the antenna band, the anodized aluminum, the 29 mpx camera that take photos of the outlay, and then the computer that chooses the inlay that fits the best among 725 inlays. The way they made the camera lense. The impressive presence of the final product. This is worth every penny. Engineered with precision and crafted with care. And if it's really Gorilla Glass 2... Friday just can't get here quickly enough.

osensnolf

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
I actually think it has more to do with all the lawsuits that have been going on and apple claiming that they are the "world's developers" when a majority of the stuff they put into the iphone has been around for awhile. I also think that they look at it in a way that they want apple to put out something show stopping so that it forces the android manufacturers, wp, bb everything to try to make something better. Competition.

It's interesting how many times I read a comment and think, "That's what I would have said" only to realize its a post by redraider133.

I do not think that Android users are upset though. Like most techies, they want each phone release to be the best phone ever so that the envelope is always pushed to the next level. Without competition, what would we be using? Would we still be jailbreaking our phones to copy and paste?

It's that kind of mindset that annoys Android and the smarter iPhone users. Apple says, "Oh, you do not need to copy and paste, we do not make mistakes." And then the fanboys are arguing along with Apple as to why the feature IS NOT needed. I saw someone on one of the tech shows trying to argue against NFC and that it is not needed on the iPhone (after the launch of iPhone 5).

I went from a Treo 750 to an iPhone and have been loyal to the iPhone since then... until now. It is still a great phone and great system but I do not want the limitations and wondering how long I will have to wait before I can JB and truly personalize the phone for myself. Besides that, the specs are no better than other phones out there including the new Note 2.

That's my take.

tsak6789

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
"NFC is really nothing right now."

I see PayPass pretty much everywhere I go. So I am not sure what you are meaning by "nothing". I can only think that its nothing to YOU. And thats ok.... from your perspective it might be nothing, but thats not the case based on what I experience practically everyday.

Wireless charging.... you only have to plug a mat in once... you have to plug your phone in every time. There is a difference.

Most people don't even know what NFC is. My wife thought is was something to do with sports...
And as for wireless charging. Are people really that lazy?

mtruman42

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
Most people don't even know what NFC is. My wife thought is was something to do with sports...
And as for wireless charging. Are people really that lazy?

NFC is something to do with sports (at least if you're a Giants fan). Seriously, the future of NFC is pretty hazy. The analysts change their predictions daily. I'd personally like to see it catch on, but there are other options. Apple was not being stupid here (as there pretty much never are). Passbook holds lots of potential. It isn't for payment - yet - but you can be sure that Apple has a strategy.

And as for wireless charging - it would have been nice. I guess at least in this respect I'm lazy. If that's all they've got to throw stones at though it's a pretty weak case.

GPAbsinthe

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I can pretty much make a case of not needing NFC... It would be on the phone and I would not use it. That's just how much I care. But there's worse : even if I intended to use it, I'd choose the iPhone 5 without it over any other smartphone that has it. I'll never have a cheap plastic box as a smartphone. Do you know how much the Note is worth now? How much the SII LTE is worth? The Nexus? How much the SIII will be worth in three months? It already went down. They'll give the goddamn thing at the end of a year cycle. Money is not the point, but value is. There's none to have with Samsung's devices. All these devices were the hot thing, packed with the newest features, when they came out four seconds ago. If THAT's the future, well it'll be a mess, won't it?

What annoys me about those annoyed Android users you're talking about, when they say that without Android there would be no evolution, is how dead wrong they are. LTE and CDMA in one chip. Twice faster processor half the size of the former generation - apparently developped by Apple. Nano sim. Single layer screen technology. Insane battery life over LTE. THAT'S evolution. Integrating already existing technology just to pack the most features is nothing hard. Developping new one is what counts. Having a camera take 20 pictures in 5 seconds and choose the best one is just another program, something we could probably get with a jailbreak tweak - but why would I use that? On the other hand, having the same tiny processor for both the HD front camera and the Full HD back camera - with the ability to take pictures while recording, just a nice addition - in order to save space and help creating one of the thinnest, most advanced phone out there with the less real estate inside, that's saying something.

With all due respect.

Last edited:

reeneebob

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
I just a phone fan. I love my iPhone. I love my Galaxy S 3. I'm considering selling both for the iPhone 5 but I have to see it first and see how iOS 6 is first.

I don't buy immediately first run tech when a redesign is done, and the 5 is enough of a redesign for me to wait and see how it goes to start.

I am just so sick of the us vs them. And don't think that there aren't the superior iOS user right there with the over the top android fan and crackberry head.
Sent from mah brainzzzzz via Galaxy S III and Tapatalk 2

mc511#CB

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I am using the samsung galaxy s2 skyrocket and wasnt upset at all. I will be upgrading in april to the 5. I honestly cant wait. And my area just got a serious bump in lte so i am all set and ready.

Jtshurtleff

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
My S3 is the best phone ever made! You guys are mean and stupid! Haha just kidding. But seriously the iPhone 5 is a nice upgrade and I may eventually break down and buy one, but I love my S3 so far and I haven't even really done much with it. Do miss the ecosystem of iOS though...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Droidrage729

May 31, 2012
Visit site
What android users are upset about the i5 I'm coming from a gnex to an i5 and I'm happy. Your not trolling are you? The whole Apple vs android is ridiculous. I may go from an i5 to an android who knows whatever is beat for me at the time i will get .it may even be a blackberry :D jk.

Droidrage729

May 31, 2012
Visit site
I think NFC is over rated I have it now any never used it ever. Add it to the list of useless features IMO. Just like HDMI out just never had the need or want to just connect my phone to a TV.

johndhynes

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
Wow, no needed feature! It's so nice when you don't have a camera with you and you have to use your phone, but it creates ****ty photos because it's dark. Or maybe you are special and your photos never have blur! It's easy to solve those problems with a sensor that captures more light and with optical image stabilization, but you preffer to have just an average camera, that just like any other smartphone fails in many situations like the ones I mentioned. I preffer to have a smartphone with a camera that doesn't fail and every mentally sane person would preffer it too. It's no excuse to say that your photos aren't good because it was too dark or that your videos are blured because you were inside of a car. Again the camera of your phone adapts to the situations and produces great pictures. No reason to make excuses, your smartphone should just deal with the different situations of your life.

David Pogue of The New York Times says:
The camera is among the best ever put into a phone. Its lowlight shots blow away the same efforts from an iPhone 4S. Its shot-to-shot times have been improved by 40 percent. And you can take stills even while recording video (1080p hi-def, of course).

John Gruber of Daring Fireball says:
The camera improvements over the 4S camera are subtle, but real. Images look sharper and colors are more vivid. Low light performance is significantly improved, not just in terms of exposure, but also for autofocus. The lens is also ever-so-slightly wider angle (4.1 mm vs. 4.3 mm). I?ve uploaded a small set of comparison photos between the iPhone 5 and 4S to Flickr. This low-light shot of an action figure in my office is remarkably better than the corresponding shot from the iPhone 4S. In a nut, iPhone 5 photos look slightly better in daylight; they look dramatically better in low light.

Without selling a single dedicated ?camera?, Apple has become one of the leading camera companies in the world.

Last edited:

beemir

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
A girl friend of mine was debating for some time what to switch to from her Blackberry Bold 9780. She was debating between the iPhone 4S or Galaxy S2. At the time I recommended the 4S, as I myself went from a Blackberry to the iPhone (no regrets there either). Since she would be doing a similar switch I informed her of my likes and dislikes of switching from a Blackberry to a Galaxy S2 (which I did for about two weeks and was not satisfied at all). Then I gave her my opinion on switching to Blackberry to the 4S. So she's heard both sides of the story from me and this could help her decide. Not to mention the amount of times I've helped her troubleshoot her technology (phones, laptops, etc.).

Now check this out. When her contract was up she decided to stick it out to see what the Galaxy S3 would be like. I then suggested the iPhone 5 won't be too far behind so might as well wait it out and see which of the two you like. She couldn't handle the wait and shelled out for the S3. Which is totally fine by me. To each their own I say, This was about a month or so after the phone was released. So a lot of time has passed since then. No talk about phones or anything as of late. Once she got over the "I have a new phone eeeee" phase she was back to normal when it came to communication and what not.

Now when the iPhone 5 was announced last week, I got a random message from her. It actually ticked me off. She says, "The new iPhone is a joke! Good thing I didn't wait for it!" to which I replied, "Why are you even bothering with it you just got the new S3? Aren't you happy with it? Did you want to see what you missed out on or something?"

When the S3 came out I wasn't all over it or reading every single detail about it because I am happy with what I have for now. If I was looking to switch then sure I'd be checking out other options or waiting for the iPhone 5 right? I mean who in their right mind buys an S3 and then *****es about the iPhone 5. I didn't post everything she said but it sure as hell sounded like she had buyers remorse. Or one of those people that always has to compare, or say mine is better than yours! Yeah screw you buddy!

Just wanted to share this story in this thread because I believe it belongs here!

PS - Dear friend if you ever happen to read this by some stroke of luck, well then you should be glad I used you as an example. You have no idea how much of an ass you sounded like. I know you've heard this all before but maybe seeing it here will knock some sense in to you. Until we meet again, ciao for now!

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I don't think it has so much to do with the lawsuits honestly, people just use that as a crutch from what I've seen. The common complaint seems to be that the GSIII has more real estate on the screen, has a nice camera and gets great battery lifep while offering 4G speeds...and in that, i still can't find anything truly ground breaking outside of the fact that the Galaxy S is leaps and bounds better than the EVO, which "used" to be every Android fan's cream of the crop. Admittedly, when you come from something as terrible as the EVO to something that is arguably very good like the GSIII, it's no wonder the fanboys go ballistic when they hear anyone is happy about a new iPhone.

And trust me, i love competition as much as the next person...i think Apple is still progressing exactly how i would see them do so. Some of the things people mentioned (IE: NFC) are just things that are not ready to be widely (and feasibly) usable, so there's certainly no reason to try and make them selling points.

This is incorrect. It's about this culture Apple has created. They implement features that have been around and tout them as new and theirs. And the masses buy into it. They began litigating over innovating. Android is all about the open nature. Android users truly believe in innovation and progression. Apple doesn't when it pertains to others. So Android users see a phone like the i5 and they've been there and had that yet its hailed as the best thing ever. It's almost like Android is the Cinderella who was forced to do all the work yet never gets credit. And when the iPhone does it suddenly its important. Look at the improved notifications on iOS that Android has had for years. The 4 inch screen. LTE capabilities. A panoramic camera. Turn by turn GPS. These are all now important features yet I had all these items last year.

That's why Android users are mad. Some understand Apple makes a good product. It's just the pedestal Apple is placed on that frustrates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice