Where to pre order?

sjsutton

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Reserve

Has anyone heard anything about being able to reserve an iPhone 5 for an Apple Store pick-up? I know you're able to purchase and pick-up via the Apple Store app, but I haven't heard anything about being able to do that for the 5.
I know Apple did that with the 3GS, 4 and 4S.

Anything anyone has heard about this, please share.

Thanks!

bloomingsuzie

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
My situation exactly. Will be switching. (no ATT LTE where I work, pathetic where I live. )

I will preorder from Apple. Will choose Verizon 6 gig plan (have VZ iPad and will add that later). Don't care what number I get.
Once I have the phone and it works fine I will call Verizon. (or go to store). Port the number from ATT and close that line (family plan). ATT will add ETF to bill.
Verizon will change your number to the one you are porting. In 2009 it was free. Might cost money now :)
Then I can unlock my ATT 4S (ATT confirmed it yesterday) and sell.
I'm in a similar situation. My contract with Verizon is up on the 27th and I'm looking to change carriers when I buy the iphone 5 and I really want to pre-order it tomorrow. Is there are way to just have overlapping service for like a week so I don't get slammed with an early termination fee? Or am I better off waiting until I can get my hands on one after the 27th, however long that may be with the crazy demand?

dcgore

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone heard anything about being able to reserve an iPhone 5 for an Apple Store pick-up? I know you're able to purchase and pick-up via the Apple Store app, but I haven't heard anything about being able to do that for the 5.

Thanks!

No reason not to expect this from apple this time around.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
In the past I pre-ordered with Verizon, but I may go directly to Apple this time so I am guaranteed to get it on Friday early and not late like Verizon tends to deliver. I won't be up at 3am to pre-order though so hopefully they don't get back logged on Apple's site by the time I can that morning.

dcgore

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm in a similar situation. My contract with Verizon is up on the 27th and I'm looking to change carriers when I buy the iphone 5 and I really want to pre-order it tomorrow. Is there are way to just have overlapping service for like a week so I don't get slammed with an early termination fee? Or am I better off waiting until I can get my hands on one after the 27th, however long that may be with the crazy demand?

Yes, very tough. I do however think there's a solution. You'll have to open a new account with the new carrier when pre-ordering the phone. Get a new phone number and once your contract is up with VZ, call your new carrier and tell them you'd like to change phone numbers. At this point you'll port your number over from VZ. Now, it is important to keep your current number active until porting otherwise you'll lose it and besides, you're waiting to be off contract.

Best luck!

nino63004

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Yes, very tough. I do however think there's a solution. Open a new account with the new carrier and pre-order the phone. Get a new phone number and once your contract is up with VZ, call your new carrier and tell them you'd like to change phone numbers. At this point you'll port your number over from VZ. Now, it is important to keep your current number active until porting otherwise you'll lose it and besides, you're waiting to be off contract.

Best luck!

This is exactly what I did when I was changing from Sprint to Verizon a few years back. My sister leaves out of state so we had to sign up with Verizon with a new number then when I was out of Sprint contract we were able to transfer number over no problem. She had her existing number transferred over within 30 minutes.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

Thanks!

I just spoke with a friendly Apple rep at my local store... here's what she had to say:

Pre-orders start tonight at 12:01 PDT
You can pre-order for delivery on 9/21/12
You can pre-order for pick up on 9/21/12 at the Apple store
You CANNOT go online and reserve one for pickup on 9/21/12. You MUST pre-order/pay for it.

In 2010 when the iPhone 4 launched, you could actually go online and reserve one for pickup... but that option is not available this time around (wasn't in 2011 for the iPhone 4S, either).

Obviously carriers and big box stores policies may vary from these options.

jeffydude05

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Hey, this is my first iPhone and I'm probably going to preorder through AT&T. Unless ordering through apple is better....? Most posts I've read haven't made it seem like there is.

Jeff

Last edited:

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
Hey, this is my first iPhone and I'll probably going to preorder through AT&T. Unless ordering through apple is better....? Most posts I've read haven't made it seem like there is.

Jeff

@Jeff

I've pre-ordered with AT&T for every iPhone since the 3GS. Never had a problem. It's a super easy process. I can't pre-order through Apple though. I have a PIN on my AT&T account for security reasons. Apple's online store can't access my AT&T account.

Reactions: jeffydude05

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
the big question is: how long do we have to wait to RECIEVE the phone after pre-ordering? I wanted to pre-order this year as opposed to another all night camp out... BUT, i remember pre-orders being delayed up to 3 weeks last year and I just can't deal with that :eek:

If you get your pre-order in before they sell out of the first batch of devices you'll get it on or before the 21st. I got my 3GS and my 4 the day before they actually went on sale in stores.

Dec 18, 2005
Visit site
Hey, this is my first iPhone and I'll probably going to preorder through AT&T. Unless ordering through apple is better....? Most posts I've read haven't made it seem like there is.

Jeff
I'm in the same boat. I don't know if I should pre-order with Apple or AT&T.

Advice anyone?

Is there better odds of getting it delivered earlier depending on who I select? :D

Last edited:

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
I'm in the same boat. I don't know if I should pre-order with Apple or AT&T.

Advice anyone?

Is there better odds of getting it delivered earlier depending on who I select? :D

I've always pre-ordered through AT&T. It's a really easy process. I got my 3GS and 4 the day before they went on sale in stores.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
My parents are pre ordering tomorrow. They're on Verizon. They're grandfathered in to unlimited data and will have to change their plan to the family shared plan now that Verizon is forcing everyone to do so. Should they go through the Verizon pre order route or try through Apple?

Thanks!!

And yes I'm so invested in this because my dad is giving me the 5 that he is pre ordering. :)

LSglock89

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
My parents are pre ordering tomorrow. They're on Verizon. They're grandfathered in to unlimited data and will have to change their plan to the family shared plan now that Verizon is forcing everyone to do so. Should they go through the Verizon pre order route or try through Apple?

Thanks!!

And yes I'm so invested in this because my dad is giving me the 5 that he is pre ordering. :)

I am going to go through VZW, just for the fact that I am going to transfer an upgrade from another line. What color are you going with Andrew?

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I am going to go through VZW, just for the fact that I am going to transfer an upgrade from another line. What color are you going with Andrew?

I'm going black. I've always preferred the black phone and I really like the blacked out look, at least from what I've seen so far.

LSglock89

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm going black. I've always preferred the black phone and I really like the blacked out look, at least from what I've seen so far.

Same here...I always said if I was going to get a 4S off contract it would be white...but dang they made the black sexy with the "blacked out look."