Where to pre order?

snuffleupagus99

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
So pre order begins friday, any word on exactly when? I read in the past it's been 3 am est. would that be apple's website only, or will carriers offer it then also? I was really hoping they'd start today since I'm off, but no luck. this will be my first iphone so I'm not sure exactly how this has gone in the past. I have to work early friday so I'm hoping to get it ordered as early as possible.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Just order it through Apple, it's attached to your carrier anyways when you enter your information so there's really no reason to go through a carrier website at all.

idesofmarch

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
I also had a question about preordering the iPhone 5. Im not eligible for an upgrade, but will i be able to pre order it and pay full price for it on the 14th from apple? I'm selling my Galaxy S3 to get this phone

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I also had a question about preordering the iPhone 5. Im not eligible for an upgrade, but will i be able to pre order it and pay full price for it on the 14th from apple? I'm selling my Galaxy S3 to get this phone

Yes, you can pay full price for the phone, but the one you receive will not be immediately unlocked...you will have to contact your carrier after the unlocked versions are available to the market for sale (typically about a month after release) so that they can carrier unlock it for you (since it will not be under contract).

Reactions: idesofmarch

LSglock89

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
This is my first time that I have considered doing an pre-order, so I have a question.

My primary account does not have an upgrade, a line on my account does though. Can you transfer an upgrade when ordering through Apple, or would that only be available through my carrier? My guess is only through my carrier. The account I would be switching from is a non-smartphone line too, so I'd rather not mess with that line or add a data plan to it.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
This is my first time that I have considered doing an pre-order, so I have a question.

My primary account does not have an upgrade, a line on my account does though. Can you transfer an upgrade when ordering through Apple, or would that only be available through my carrier? My guess is only through my carrier. The account I would be switching from is a non-smartphone line too, so I'd rather not mess with that line or add a data plan to it.

Normally yes, have done this every year for the last few years with AT&T... once activated they can switch numbers to the devices.

Plus you will have to keep both lines live with a data plan. They won't do that and cancel your other data plan, that is the point of the subsidy plan.

However I am not upgrading this year and I don't know what carrier you are using.

LSglock89

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm with Verizon...I'll probably just upgrade through them so I know I can for sure just transfer the upgrade.

Thanks.

dfine1966

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Sprint just announced pre ordering for 12:01 AM Pacific Time (3:01 AM ET) on September 14. I was wondering also, is it better to order from Sprint or Apple, or it doesn't matter. Also can you order Apple Care while you are ordering your phone online?

matthew23

Jan 5, 2009
Visit site
I have the 4s on AT&T. I have decided for multiple reasons to switch to Verizon, mainly b/c AT&T is terrible in Chicago and I figure it is a good way to get the new iphone w/o buying outright. I am selling my 4s, I know I'll have ~$215 ETF from AT&T. Assuming I get at least $300 for my 4s, that pays for the ETF and leaves about $85 towards the new phone. I am planning on getting the 32gb at $299, so the prove is then at $285 plus a $30 activation fee. Brings the total up to $315 plus tax. (Sorry, just doing the mental math out loud).

If I order from Apple.com on launch day (I understand in 12AM friday pacific time, so 2AM central for me, do I just pick the iphone I want and create a new account and pick a plan with Verizon right there? Then, do I tell them I want to port my number or just get a new number from Verizon and then have it changed to my new phone when it arrives? Will Verizon even do that or will I be stuck with a new number??

What is the best way to switch carriers for the new phone but make sure my (old) phone stays active until I get the new one and port my number to it??

Questions, questions. Thanks in advance.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
When you add porting a phone number and switching providers to the mix, you might be better off doing it in the store... I expect (but can't guarantee) that there will be sufficient inventory, but if this goes south in the middle of the night you could end up pretty much screwed...

matthew23

Jan 5, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, I thought about that but it has to be pretty common through apple.com. Does anyone have any experience with this scenario?

cfrazier1227

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
If I pre-order through Sprint can I pick it up in the store on the 21st? Or will it be shipped on the 21st and I'd have to wait until it reached my address.

akag

Mar 30, 2009
Visit site
I have the 4s on AT&T. I have decided for multiple reasons to switch to Verizon, mainly b/c AT&T is terrible in Chicago and I figure it is a good way to get the new iphone w/o buying outright. I am selling my 4s, I know I'll have ~$215 ETF from AT&T. Assuming I get at least $300 for my 4s, that pays for the ETF and leaves about $85 towards the new phone. I am planning on getting the 32gb at $299, so the prove is then at $285 plus a $30 activation fee. Brings the total up to $315 plus tax. (Sorry, just doing the mental math out loud).

If I order from Apple.com on launch day (I understand in 12AM friday pacific time, so 2AM central for me, do I just pick the iphone I want and create a new account and pick a plan with Verizon right there? Then, do I tell them I want to port my number or just get a new number from Verizon and then have it changed to my new phone when it arrives? Will Verizon even do that or will I be stuck with a new number??

What is the best way to switch carriers for the new phone but make sure my (old) phone stays active until I get the new one and port my number to it??

Questions, questions. Thanks in advance.
My situation exactly. Will be switching. (no ATT LTE where I work, pathetic where I live. )

I will preorder from Apple. Will choose Verizon 6 gig plan (have VZ iPad and will add that later). Don't care what number I get.
Once I have the phone and it works fine I will call Verizon. (or go to store). Port the number from ATT and close that line (family plan). ATT will add ETF to bill.
Verizon will change your number to the one you are porting. In 2009 it was free. Might cost money now :)
Then I can unlock my ATT 4S (ATT confirmed it yesterday) and sell.

hollidizzle

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
the big question is: how long do we have to wait to RECIEVE the phone after pre-ordering? I wanted to pre-order this year as opposed to another all night camp out... BUT, i remember pre-orders being delayed up to 3 weeks last year and I just can't deal with that :eek:

gammills08

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Sprint just announced pre ordering for 12:01 AM Pacific Time (3:01 AM ET) on September 14. I was wondering also, is it better to order from Sprint or Apple, or it doesn't matter. Also can you order Apple Care while you are ordering your phone online?
Yes you can order the apple care when doing this no problem.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR