What do you think of the new iPhone that was unveiled today?

Phone what you expected or more? Less?

• Exactly what I expected!

Votes: 111 48.1%
  • More than I expected!

Votes: 14 6.1%
  • Eh, it's okay.

Votes: 106 45.9%

• Total voters

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I have a strong feeling once people have this phone in their hands they'll change their tune about the "slightly stretched" comments. ...(snipped)....

I got a feeling you're right about this and I've got a feeling I'll be one of those people. :)

RealNeal

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I just watched the video about the way they manufactured the iPhone 5, and I would say that there is a tremendous amount of innovation in this product. A lot of it is subtle, but none the less technologically ground- breaking. Like adding the touch sensors into the LCD screen itself, rather than in a separate glass layer. The machined aluminum body, etc,. etc.. I think people are short-changing the device when all they look at is a few aspects of the design like screen height. I think this one will be a winner. Quality always sells.

Vanti

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
Hey it just goes to show that when you receive as many leaks as we did with this iphone that some of them are bound to be true. I truly wish that it would have looked different but meh no use beating a dead horse. Im still going to need one for when i begin developing so i must get one regardless...

lungho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
As excited as I was to see the Keynote coverage from the various news outlets, but overall, I'm extremely underwhelmed. I suppose most of that could be tied to all the leaks. It's like knowing what you're getting for xmas.

briankeith513

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
My views and observations. This phone doesn't have a lot of wow factor. The only Iphones with the wow factor was the original Iphone, and then the Iphone 4. Everything else was an incremental upgrade, making the newer device, a little better than the prior one. That's actually not a bad thing, as we're locked into 2 year contracts anyway. When looking at Android, its actually the same way. I have the Iphone 4, and skipped on the 4S, as I wasn't eligible, but even if I was, it was too similar to the Iphone 4. The Iphone 5 is a big enough upgrade to be satisfied, imo. Larger screen, siri, LTE, faster processor, and more RAM. It actually looks very good. When I look at all of the smartphones from other manufacturers, the Iphone is also still the best looking, and looks like its made from higher quality materials.

LSglock89

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Probably not the revolutionary change everyone wanted -- and with the amount of leaks and the accuracy of most of them, it left people underwhelmed.

Coming from an iPhone 4, I can see myself upgrading. My girlfriend just got the S3 and she really does not like it. It is her first flavor of Android, and she says its too big of a screen. I really have no need for a screen that large I guess.

I am rather excited to give the new earpods a try though. Most everything I am looking forward too is in OS6 though.

My primary line isn't up for upgrade, but I do have an upgrade on the account, so I may pre-order.

Larry Pager

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
The iPhone 5 is not revolutionary.

But that doesn't make it a bad phone either. There are several changes and updates that together make it a good phone. All the features of the OS and the larger screen, LTE, etc. If I didn't pick up a S3, I would have gotten this.

The thing is, the last big, great, revolutionary advance in cellular phones was the touch screen. Everything else after that are nice features. So now everybody, android, apple, windows, are just adding features. Some good, some bad. The S3, which I own- is it revolutionary? No- it's got a big screen, a fluid OS that does the job and some nice features. The evolution in hardware is slowing down for now in terms of revolutionary concepts- what else can we do? Bigger screen, more cores to the processor, more RAM, more memory, LTE, higher MP camera. OK, great. These are all flashy trinkets to appeal to us. OK, so the iPhone 5 gave us incremental updates in the hardware. But iOS is where Apple needs to kill it, I can't say iOS 6 is amazing since I haven't used it, but if it can extend that easy to use, it just works idea to other functions of the phone, I think they will have another hit on their hands. I feel that the software is the battleground, not the hardware- anybody can make a bigger screen or throw in the latest and greatest processor.

The thing is, everybody after the keynote is underwhelmed. Happens a lot. The true test is once reviewers get their hands on it and how many people really upgrade. Personally, I'd be happy with a black iPhone 5- that is hot.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The iPhone 5 is not revolutionary.

But that doesn't make it a bad phone either. There are several changes and updates that together make it a good phone. All the features of the OS and the larger screen, LTE, etc. If I didn't pick up a S3, I would have gotten this.

The thing is, the last big, great, revolutionary advance in cellular phones was the touch screen. Everything else after that are nice features. So now everybody, android, apple, windows, are just adding features. Some good, some bad. The S3, which I own- is it revolutionary? No- it's got a big screen, a fluid OS that does the job and some nice features. The evolution in hardware is slowing down for now in terms of revolutionary concepts- what else can we do? Bigger screen, more cores to the processor, more RAM, more memory, LTE, higher MP camera. OK, great. These are all flashy trinkets to appeal to us. OK, so the iPhone 5 gave us incremental updates in the hardware. But iOS is where Apple needs to kill it, I can't say iOS 6 is amazing since I haven't used it, but if it can extend that easy to use, it just works idea to other functions of the phone, I think they will have another hit on their hands. I feel that the software is the battleground, not the hardware- anybody can make a bigger screen or throw in the latest and greatest processor.

The thing is, everybody after the keynote is underwhelmed. Happens a lot. The true test is once reviewers get their hands on it and how many people really upgrade. Personally, I'd be happy with a black iPhone 5- that is hot.

Well stated ... :D

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm no Android hater. I'm currently rocking an S3. But guess what? I'm "borrowing" an upgrade from my pops who could care less about phones and am pre-ordering the 5. You can give me all the bells and whistles of the S3, and I'm still going back to iOS. Heck, the screen and 4G are by far enough to get me back. Sure Android has options, but it's nowhere near as fluid as iOS. If this wasn't enough upgrade for you, I've got a mint 32gb S3 for Verizon that'll be up for sale in a little over a week.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Years ahead on the screen by that I mean apple won't make a iphone with a screen the size of the S3 for years. How long has it taken them to make it even slightly larger?? I've had a 4s from release day and the worst thing about it was the battery, on my S3 the battery has been great from day 1. Let's just agree to disagree:D
On that note if your happy with the iphone 5 then Yay!! I for one and super happy with what apple did because it makes my choice to switch to the s3 a couple weeks ago All that much sweeter.
Tap'n 'Like A Boss'

So the size of the screen is some kind of achievement? It's just a big screen, there's no real overwhelming quality to it that places it above the retina display on even the 4/4S...there's no agreeing to disagree here, the bottom line is (as i said before), Apple isn't in the business of making the Galaxy S, it's in the business of making the iPhone, and with that, the Galaxy S isn't ahead with a bigger screen, it's simply different. It's not like Apple is incapable of putting a enormous screen on the iPhone, the consumer base doesn't want it, Apple realizes this and sees that they will sell record setting #'s of iPhones without making the screen that large.

At any rate, you're obviously not an iPhone fan, and spinning my wheels is of no interest to me so that's about that.

dalvik

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Maybe not groundbreaking but the screen is years ahead of anywhere apple will be the quad core is amazingly fast the freedom the device allows you is "groundbreaking" (if you come over from the apple side of things) my battery life is fantastic compared to my 4s i had. That's what I can think of right off the top of my head. I'm still learning I've only had this for a week or so. I did love my apple iphone but it along with the ios got st?le and boring for 'me', im not saying it's crap I'm just saying there's more out there to satisfy smartphone users and don't be afraid to make the switch. I still have my ipad 3 imac and apple TV 2 so I haven't disowned apple all together.

Tap'n 'Like A Boss'
You know, I feel the same way about GS3 and I'd buy that over an iPhone but there is a one huge problem with it - that gigantic screen. When I happen to pass by any carrier store I play with it and It is really nice, smooth, beautiful and all that but man... It's just f'n huge.... If they would come up with a 4 inch model of GS3 I'd buy it... And it's just crazy but all high-end android phones have huge screens. There is literary nothing to choose from if you want no more than a 4 inch display.

Link

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm not thrilled about the headphone jack on the bottom of the phone and needing adapters (that are $29 on Apple's site) to use the iPhone 5 on my sound dock. I don't see why the 30 pin connector was such a big deal. I have 2 or 3 charging cords, I keep around to charge the phone and iPad, now they'll be different cords.

Last edited:

zurch

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
I would have like it to be .5 inch wider. Just for typing comfort. I'm sticking with 4s till note 2 comes out then I'm going to decide between them two and also im going with lowest subsidized prices.

ejb222

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Yall are saying that a bigger screen is not innovation or not desireable. Make up your mind. You had a 3.5 inch screen and now you rave about the 4inch screen. But you complain that 4.5 is too big. Yall have been handling that tiny phone way too long. I went from a 3GS to a 4.3 inch device. At first I was like, this is huge. But after a short while you appreciate the added space for web pages, typing, movies, games, books, etc. And I dont even notice that it's big. It feels normal. If you really think that the 4in screen is as big as you need and think that anything bigger is a waste or is TOO big. Then you obviously haven't spent any time exclusively with that size screen. Cuz once you get used to it then you go back to the iPhone, you really miss it.

ejb222

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
You could get a 12.1MP camera on a Sony Ericsson phone back in 2009...that was big noise at the time, but in the end, it meant nothing because nobody wanted to use the Sony phone.

Comparing stuff like that is a little redundant...Apple sells a phone that people not only want to use, but has features that keep it competitive (and in many cases, leading). I could wake up one day and decide that i want a phone that has a slot on the back to hold my USB cord, and damn if some company out there somewhere won't make a phone that does just that...when i realize that the newest iPhone model doesn't have that cord holder on the back, it's just silly for a person to sit there and go "Man, i'm really disappointed with the new iPhone, where's the cord holder? I can get that on blah blah blah blah blah...", so what? We can all make lists of things our phone does that the next one doesn't...little gimmicks here and there. Who F'n cares?

Dude are you serious? You make no sense. The reason you have an iPhone is because Apple came out with "gimmicks" you like. So apparently you F'n care. Hypocrite!
Lets get one thing straight. You apparently have no "F'n" clue what your're talking about. So with that said Many...if not most people prefer a bigger screen. Proof...everyone makes a phone with a screen bigger than the iPhone's. In fact Iphone came out with a bigger screen than their legacy device. Even still...most phones are still bigger and more consumers prefer them. On top of that people(yes real people) want USB, HDMI, SD CARD, NFC...iphone doesn't have em. They are not gimmicks...they actually work...do something...have a purpose...in other words NOT GIMMICK. So before you go and call all these things GIMMICKS, why dont you look at the 3.5inch phone in your pocket and see what gimmicks you bought into..or actually are missing for a bigger price than all that gimmicks that came with someone else's phone. Then oh yeah...remember all the accesories that you had to buy that do all the same things that the other phones do with the added gimmicks...more money out of your pocket. You really have no clue do you?

And go ahead and say what you want...call me a troll or what ever. But the reality is you spent more money on your iPhone and accessories than 90% of the world and got less for your money. Then paid more for accesories to perform like other phones. And you want to talk about people being fandroids or whatever.
I had an iPhone...I realized after 3 years I was getting hosed. I was hoping this years would be different...but guess not.

Last edited:

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Dude are you serious? You make no sense. The reason you have an iPhone is because Apple came out with "gimmicks" you like. So apparently you F'n care. Hypocrite!
Lets get one thing straight. You apparently have no "F'n" clue what your're talking about. So with that said Many...if not most people prefer a bigger screen. Proof...everyone makes a phone with a screen bigger than the iPhone's. In fact Iphone came out with a bigger screen than their legacy device. Even still...most phones are still bigger and more consumers prefer them. On top of that people(yes real people) want USB, HDMI, SD CARD, NFC...iphone doesn't have em. They are not gimmicks...they actually work...do something...have a purpose...in other words NOT GIMMICK. So before you go and call all these things GIMMICKS, why dont you look at the 3.5inch phone in your pocket and see what gimmicks you bought into..or actually are missing for a bigger price than all that gimmicks that came with someone else's phone. Then oh yeah...remember all the accesories that you had to buy that do all the same things that the other phones do with the added gimmicks...more money out of your pocket. You really have no clue do you?

And go ahead and say what you want...call me a troll or what ever. But the reality is you spent more money on your iPhone and accessories than 90% of the world and got less for your money. Then paid more for accesories to perform like other phones. And you want to talk about people being fandroids or whatever.
I had an iPhone...I realized after 3 years I was getting hosed. I was hoping this years would be different...but guess not.

Why do you care what he or anyone spent on their phone and/or accessories and what the value is AS YOU PERCEIVE IT? You got to spend your money as you wanted, but now you have to save the iOS universe from "MIS-spending" theirs? Please, save us the truckload of crap. You voted with your wallet... now it's our turn.

Do you think by now your android moderator has realized that you escaped from his forum asylum?

Last edited:

ejb222

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Why do you care what he or anyone spent on their phone and/or accessories and what the value is AS YOU PERCEIVE IT? You got to spend your money as you wanted, but now you have to save the iOS universe from "MIS-spending" theirs? Please, save us the truckload of crap. You voted with your wallet... now it's our turn.

Do you think by now your android moderator has realized that you escaped from his forum asylum?

I dont even own an android. HA!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2