Spend for 1/2 Subsidy vs iPhone 5s?

ohessyou

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
One other thing to remember. If you do the early upgrade your contract is extended by 2 years not 2 years from the date you get your new phone. So if you had a year left on your old contract you are now tied to AT&T for 3 years.

phil1995

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I am 18 months into my Verizon contract, here is what I plan to do.

1. Add additional line to my phone and pay $299 for the 32Gb Iphone5
2. Trade in my current Iphone 4 on the Best Buy buy back program for -$240
3. Cancel my current line and pay the $180 contract buy out from Verizon.
4. Pay $35 new line activation.

Total Cost: $299 -$240 + $180 + $35 = $274 + Iphone4 32Gb on a new 2 year contract

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

Total Cost: $299 -$240 + $180 + $35 = $274 + Iphone4 32Gb on a new 2 year contract

Sounds like a plan... but you will lose the phone number associated with the existing line that you cancel. For some people that's a huge issue... not so much for others... just be aware of it. Also, I'm not sure how the unlimited data plan works for VZW, but my understanding is that you will also lose that. #considerthewholecost

sj-performance

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site

Yup you will lose your number associated with that line. You can't add current number to new line. I tried doing this with iPhone 4S last year with sprint. I can't lose my number as I'm a general contractor and I've had my number since I was 16. I am now 30 and depend heavily on this number. So I ended up paying full price last year for it. This year in October I have an upgrade available so I will upgrade to iPhone 5 or SG3.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Also, I'm not sure how the unlimited data plan works for VZW, but my understanding is that you will also lose that.
The only way people that have the unlimited data feature on their account can keep it is pay full retail price for a new device with verizon, or bring their own device purchased elsewhere. Taking the subsidized price requires going to the new share plans, or a current tiered data feature.

Last edited:

phil1995

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like a plan... but you will lose the phone number associated with the existing line that you cancel. For some people that's a huge issue... not so much for others... just be aware of it. Also, I'm not sure how the unlimited data plan works for VZW, but my understanding is that you will also lose that. #considerthewholecost

I just spoke with Verizon, and they stated that I could activate the new line, switch the plans on the phones so that the new phone has the old plan and phone number and the old phone has the new plan and new number. Then I could terminate the contract on the old phone and things stay the same as they are now, same number and same plan (hoping that includes unlimited data).

Not a big deal for me to loose the unlimited data, I am thinking about switching to the sharing plan anyway, seems like a better deal for me, as I do not use that much data.

Last edited:

koolhand79

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I just spoke with Verizon, and they stated that I could activate the new line, switch the plans on the phones so that the new phone has the old plan and phone number and the old phone has the new plan and new number. Then I could terminate the contract on the old phone and things stay the same as they are now, same number and same plan (hoping that includes unlimited data).

Not a big deal for me to loose the unlimited data, I am thinking about switching to the sharing plan anyway, seems like a better deal for me, as I do not use that much data.

Something seems missing here. They aren't going to let u cancel the new line you just added, without returning the phone.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

phil1995

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Something seems missing here. They aren't going to let u cancel the new line you just added, without returning the phone.

Not canceling the new phone, canceling the old phone. Still have a new 2 year contract. Payin $180 early termination fee of old contract. Just transferred the old number to new phone prior to cancellation of old contract.

koolhand79

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Not canceling the new phone, canceling the old phone. Still have a new 2 year contract. Payin $180 early termination fee of old contract. Just transferred the old number to new phone prior to cancellation of old contract.

Interesting. They are gonna let u swap the numbers on the contacts? Do you have to wait a certain amount of time?

phil1995

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Interesting. They are gonna let u swap the numbers on the contacts? Do you have to wait a certain amount of time?

She stated I could do it all in the store at the same time. Guess we will see if she knows what she is talking about.

Edit:

I just called back to confirm, and the guy on the phone told me to get an old phone (non smart phone) and put it on the old contract for talk only at $10/ month for the remaing 6 months of the contract. Swap the plans on the phones and cancel the other phone after the 6 months(end of old contract) . He stated that the old plan would move to the new phone and the UNLIMITED DATA WOULD STAY INTACT ON THE NEW PHONE!!!

This would cost me $60 to teriminate the old line (6 months @ $10/month) as opposed to $180 for the early termination fee.

Last edited:

Gary86

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
Quick question, I'm on AT&T. If I do the early upgrade I keep my unlimited data correct? Every time I've upgraded to new iPhones in the past (3GS, i4, i4S) I've kept the unlimited. Just want to make sure this hasn't changed.

Sent from my awesome iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Quick question, I'm on AT&T. If I do the early upgrade I keep my unlimited data correct? Every time I've upgraded to new iPhones in the past (3GS, i4, i4S) I've kept the unlimited. Just want to make sure this hasn't changed.

As of today, yes. AT&T is not forcing you to migrate as VZW is... but they are encouraging you to move with thinks like blocking FaceTime over 3G/4G unless you are on the shared data plans...

Gary86

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
As of today, yes. AT&T is not forcing you to migrate as VZW is... but they are encouraging you to move with thinks like blocking FaceTime over 3G/4G unless you are on the shared data plans...

Thanks. That's what FaceBreak is for lol.

Selsandy

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Hell NOOOO ! You're better off buying a factory unlocked iPhone. Why tie up yourself with a two year contract and end up in this position again? Buying phones factory unlocked is what I do. .and if I see something else better than what I have, I just sell it and get the new one. NO commitments to no one for two years! BTW if it's kept in good condition, you can get a really good pro e for

rustymini

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
My thing is......what if you pay full retail and they(VZW) decide to do away with unlimited data anyway? My upgrade isn't until 2/13 so I'll have time to see what happens.....I'm not paying $800.00 for a phone. :eek:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR