I am 18 months into my Verizon contract, here is what I plan to do.

1. Add additional line to my phone and pay $299 for the 32Gb Iphone5
    2. Trade in my current Iphone 4 on the Best Buy buy back program for -$240
    3. Cancel my current line and pay the $180 contract buy out from Verizon.
    4. Pay $35 new line activation.

Total Cost: $299 -$240 + $180 + $35 = $274 + Iphone4 32Gb on a new 2 year contract
    Sounds like a plan... but you will lose the phone number associated with the existing line that you cancel. For some people that's a huge issue... not so much for others... just be aware of it. Also, I'm not sure how the unlimited data plan works for VZW, but my understanding is that you will also lose that. #considerthewholecost
    09-08-2012 03:17 PM
    I am 18 months into my Verizon contract, here is what I plan to do.

1. Add additional line to my phone and pay $299 for the 32Gb Iphone5
    2. Trade in my current Iphone 4 on the Best Buy buy back program for -$240
    3. Cancel my current line and pay the $180 contract buy out from Verizon.
    4. Pay $35 new line activation.

Total Cost: $299 -$240 + $180 + $35 = $274 + Iphone4 32Gb on a new 2 year contract
    Yup you will lose your number associated with that line. You can't add current number to new line. I tried doing this with iPhone 4S last year with sprint. I can't lose my number as I'm a general contractor and I've had my number since I was 16. I am now 30 and depend heavily on this number. So I ended up paying full price last year for it. This year in October I have an upgrade available so I will upgrade to iPhone 5 or SG3.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    09-08-2012 03:22 PM
    Also, I'm not sure how the unlimited data plan works for VZW, but my understanding is that you will also lose that.
    The only way people that have the unlimited data feature on their account can keep it is pay full retail price for a new device with verizon, or bring their own device purchased elsewhere. Taking the subsidized price requires going to the new share plans, or a current tiered data feature.
    Last edited by kch50428; 09-08-2012 at 03:25 PM.
    09-08-2012 03:23 PM
    Sounds like a plan... but you will lose the phone number associated with the existing line that you cancel. For some people that's a huge issue... not so much for others... just be aware of it. Also, I'm not sure how the unlimited data plan works for VZW, but my understanding is that you will also lose that. #considerthewholecost
    I just spoke with Verizon, and they stated that I could activate the new line, switch the plans on the phones so that the new phone has the old plan and phone number and the old phone has the new plan and new number. Then I could terminate the contract on the old phone and things stay the same as they are now, same number and same plan (hoping that includes unlimited data).

Not a big deal for me to loose the unlimited data, I am thinking about switching to the sharing plan anyway, seems like a better deal for me, as I do not use that much data.
    Last edited by phil1995; 09-08-2012 at 03:32 PM.
    09-08-2012 03:27 PM
    I just spoke with Verizon, and they stated that I could activate the new line, switch the plans on the phones so that the new phone has the old plan and phone number and the old phone has the new plan and new number. Then I could terminate the contract on the old phone and things stay the same as they are now, same number and same plan (hoping that includes unlimited data).

Not a big deal for me to loose the unlimited data, I am thinking about switching to the sharing plan anyway, seems like a better deal for me, as I do not use that much data.
    Something seems missing here. They aren't going to let u cancel the new line you just added, without returning the phone.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    09-08-2012 03:34 PM
    Something seems missing here. They aren't going to let u cancel the new line you just added, without returning the phone.

Not canceling the new phone, canceling the old phone. Still have a new 2 year contract. Payin $180 early termination fee of old contract. Just transferred the old number to new phone prior to cancellation of old contract.
    09-08-2012 03:35 PM
    Not canceling the new phone, canceling the old phone. Still have a new 2 year contract. Payin $180 early termination fee of old contract. Just transferred the old number to new phone prior to cancellation of old contract.
    Interesting. They are gonna let u swap the numbers on the contacts? Do you have to wait a certain amount of time?

09-08-2012 03:42 PM
    Interesting. They are gonna let u swap the numbers on the contacts? Do you have to wait a certain amount of time?

She stated I could do it all in the store at the same time. Guess we will see if she knows what she is talking about.

Edit:

I just called back to confirm, and the guy on the phone told me to get an old phone (non smart phone) and put it on the old contract for talk only at $10/ month for the remaing 6 months of the contract. Swap the plans on the phones and cancel the other phone after the 6 months(end of old contract) . He stated that the old plan would move to the new phone and the UNLIMITED DATA WOULD STAY INTACT ON THE NEW PHONE!!!

This would cost me $60 to teriminate the old line (6 months @ $10/month) as opposed to $180 for the early termination fee.
    Last edited by phil1995; 09-08-2012 at 04:10 PM.
    09-08-2012 03:47 PM
    Quick question, I'm on AT&T. If I do the early upgrade I keep my unlimited data correct? Every time I've upgraded to new iPhones in the past (3GS, i4, i4S) I've kept the unlimited. Just want to make sure this hasn't changed.

Sent from my awesome iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    09-08-2012 04:13 PM
    Quick question, I'm on AT&T. If I do the early upgrade I keep my unlimited data correct? Every time I've upgraded to new iPhones in the past (3GS, i4, i4S) I've kept the unlimited. Just want to make sure this hasn't changed.

As of today, yes. AT&T is not forcing you to migrate as VZW is... but they are encouraging you to move with thinks like blocking FaceTime over 3G/4G unless you are on the shared data plans...
    09-08-2012 04:56 PM
    As of today, yes. AT&T is not forcing you to migrate as VZW is... but they are encouraging you to move with thinks like blocking FaceTime over 3G/4G unless you are on the shared data plans...
    Thanks. That's what FaceBreak is for lol.

09-08-2012 05:33 PM
    You are correct.
    Hmm....that was not my experience when upgrading from the 4 to the 4s. I had six months left on my contract and they added that to the new 24 month term.
    09-08-2012 06:11 PM
    Hell NOOOO ! You're better off buying a factory unlocked iPhone. Why tie up yourself with a two year contract and end up in this position again? Buying phones factory unlocked is what I do. .and if I see something else better than what I have, I just sell it and get the new one. NO commitments to no one for two years! BTW if it's kept in good condition, you can get a really good pro e for
    09-08-2012 07:04 PM
    Sorry about the typo. ... you can get a really good price for the old one.
    09-08-2012 07:06 PM
    My thing is......what if you pay full retail and they(VZW) decide to do away with unlimited data anyway? My upgrade isn't until 2/13 so I'll have time to see what happens.....I'm not paying $800.00 for a phone.
    09-08-2012 09:55 PM
    I don't dig the additional $250 if I want the new iPhone, but there's one thing that annoys me more than that and that's the continual "greed" complaint. It's lazy, it's overused, and it's becoming stereotypical of internet types who think they should get something for nothing and that companies shouldn't be in business to make money.
    09-09-2012 01:54 PM
    She stated I could do it all in the store at the same time. Guess we will see if she knows what she is talking about.

Edit:

I just called back to confirm, and the guy on the phone told me to get an old phone (non smart phone) and put it on the old contract for talk only at $10/ month for the remaing 6 months of the contract. Swap the plans on the phones and cancel the other phone after the 6 months(end of old contract) . He stated that the old plan would move to the new phone and the UNLIMITED DATA WOULD STAY INTACT ON THE NEW PHONE!!!

This would cost me $60 to teriminate the old line (6 months @ $10/month) as opposed to $180 for the early termination fee.
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but the 2 reps you spoke to on the phones are idiots and gave you nothing but misinformation =(

What you said in your OP is correct. You can add a line (to get the discounted price) and disconnect your existing MTN (and pay the ETF) if you choose to do so. You, however, will not be able to migrate the unlimited data feature (if you have one) from your existing MTN to the new MTN that you add.

Secondly, if you do decide to cancel the original line of service, you will lose that number as well. The contract and the mobile number are tied together; cancel the contract, lose the line.

Third, you can activate a basic phone on the new line of service to avoid paying for the data package on the new line.
    09-10-2012 02:13 AM
    will unlocked iphone 5 be avail on pre order day and also is the sim card size staying the same as the iphone 4s
    09-12-2012 03:12 PM
    will unlocked iphone 5 be avail on pre order day and also is the sim card size staying the same as the iphone 4s
    Most probably not... and no.
    09-12-2012 03:14 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD