Getting an iPhone without preordering?

Bartoge

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
So my family is going to switch over to Verizon and all get iPhones this month. We are currently on metro PCS and basically we have to switch on the 21 to not pay the next months bill. In addition, we want to switch in September to get the $250 deal Verizon and xfinity have going on. I want to get the new iPhone, while the rest of my family is content with cheaper 4s phones. I've talked to a Verizon guy, and he said I can't preorder the new iohone to be on my new contract. So my question is, is it possible to get an iPhone in launch day without preordering? I always see pictures if huge lines, but I live in Marietta, Georgia, not exactly a New York type of city. So would the Apple Store be sold out the first day or is there a chance of me getting the new iPhone?

ALborntoride

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
I'm in the same boat dude...switching from Att to Verizon. I would think that there would be some available in store but since i've never really bought a iphone on release day who knows. I may wait a few weeks and surely you should be able to just walk into a store and pick one up.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Well from past experience I would either preorder or wait in line at your local apple store or corporate carrier location.

They will sell out. When I waited for the 3G back in the day I got there a couple hours before the store opened in the mall an by the time they opened the line stretched past 5 stores.

Beamed from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Yes Verizon haven't had lines for any iPhone launches. Most preorder and those with nothing better to do camp out at apple stores.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I have bought the iPhone 4 and 4s on launch day from Verizon with little to no line and by little I mean like maybe 1 or 2 people ahead of me and plenty of reps to not have to wait .. People that wait at apple I think do it for the thrill vs actually just getting the device the easiest ..
Just go there on launch day they will be open early like 7am
That's what I'm doing
For the 4s I literally walked in and was out in less than 10 min phone in hand

cableguy619

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
So my family is going to switch over to Verizon and all get iPhones this month. We are currently on metro PCS and basically we have to switch on the 21 to not pay the next months bill. In addition, we want to switch in September to get the $250 deal Verizon and xfinity have going on. I want to get the new iPhone, while the rest of my family is content with cheaper 4s phones. I've talked to a Verizon guy, and he said I can't preorder the new iohone to be on my new contract. So my question is, is it possible to get an iPhone in launch day without preordering? I always see pictures if huge lines, but I live in Marietta, Georgia, not exactly a New York type of city. So would the Apple Store be sold out the first day or is there a chance of me getting the new iPhone?

Why not start the contract with the 4/4s and preorder yours as an add line. If you are making the switch you might as well start now.

The 21st will be an ugly day unless you pllan on camping out at your apple store.

agentmobile

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
Wait.....Verizon told you that pre-order isn't an option? That's absurd. As soon as Apple announces the iPhone 5 you should be able to pre-order it that week. Every year my family has pre ordered but we are with AT&T. We have pre-ordered with best buy, AT&T, and Apple themselves. This yr will be no different if We decide to get the iPhone 5

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Verizon doesn't sound right. You can pre-order whenever you like (as long as it doesn't sell out, which is very possible) and get it on launch day. Now whether Verizon accepts that for a new contract, no one knows until launch day. Will your Apple store sell out? It's certainly possible. Pick your poison.

anon(4765705)

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Double and triple check whatever you are told by Verizon, my experience has been that their phone personnel are generally nice but uninformed with a few falling below the 50% mark wrt the truth on some key issues.

Best if you ask where it is posted on their web site or for the details in writing. Trying to straighten things out with them afterward is very time consuming as they are friendly but seemingly try to slow walk you into giving up.

msgetf

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I would be willing to bet that the Verizon rep told you that simply because right now there is no iPhone 5. They can't pre-order/pre-sell you something that does not exist yet. Remember with Apple, it doesn't exist until it is held up on stage.

PreMaster

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
You want the phone on Launch Day, go to Best Buy!

I have been getting launch day phones for 3 years now from Best Buy. The people who go to the Apple Store are Dummies. Same with the people who go to the verizon store and queue up. I remember buying my palm pre at best buy and driving by sprint and looking at like 50 people outside of the store and then pulling up at best buy at 7am and nobody is there.

Plus best buy will give you reward points and credit when purchasing. They really take good care of cell phone purchasers.

I walked up to best buy when the 4S launched and was the only person in line. Heck there was no line. I walked right in and bought it and left.

My best advice. Best Buy will have phones on launch day. Go find a remote best buy that isn't frequented often and just wait there at 7am. you will be surprised when your the only one.

The apple store people that queue up aren't that bright.

garylapointe

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
I guess it just depends on when the new iPhone goes on sale and is released. I'd just get a cheap phone (no contract) and activate that with the family plan (either pick up a pay as you go phone and activate or see if a friend has an old Verizon phone lying around). And then (if available) order the iPhone 6 immediately after leaving the store. From your date of the 21st, it looks like you might have to wait for that phone.

Timing is everything, I think in 2011 they were announced and a few days later (Oct. 7) you could order and then they showed up a week later (the 14th for mine). While the iPad 3 was announced on March 7th and you could immediately order it; mine showed up on the 16th? I think both were the same number of days from the press conference. I think previous years it was a tiny bit longer timeline (more between the announcing and the day to order), but I don't recall for sure.

Gary

evorc

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
When the 4s came out, by lunch apple had no lines. I was able to get one. I also tried best buy and at&t first to no luck by lunch time.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
When the 4s came out, by lunch apple had no lines. I was able to get one. I also tried best buy and at&t first to no luck by lunch time.

That is not true in every location though...in Atlanta, the lines last year lasted well into the evening (and started a day or two before the phone was released). Different markets have different traffic, my friend was in Birmingham at the time of the release, and he was able to simply walk into AT&T and buy his with no issue. Bigger markets are obviously going to be more saturated, sometimes people get lucky...sometimes people sit all day and still don't get one. There is no common rule you can follow with this besides the fact that it's so much better and less stressful to have it shipped to you.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73