Now the rumor is no NFC - it's a letdown for me if true.
    08-28-2012 01:20 PM
    I don't know if it's a letdown for me just yet, but it definitely limits the effectiveness of Passbook in my mind

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    08-28-2012 02:19 PM
    That's because that will be the selling feature of next year's iphone. You can't have everything in one model.
    08-28-2012 02:54 PM
    I don't really care about NFC I just want better battery life and LTE. Everything else is a bonus.

Sent from my Jailbroken Facebook Machine using Tapatalk
    Just_Me_D and Garz like this.
    08-28-2012 03:17 PM
    I don't really care about NFC I just want better battery life and LTE. Everything else is a bonus.
    exactly. ...
    08-28-2012 03:55 PM
    It's a bit of a letdown for me. There's nothing much to look forward to, at least not enough to get me to upgrade while I'm still on contract. LTE would be nice but I'm not even sure if and where it's available around here. Plus that means giving up my unlimited data. The larger screen will be nice but just having it longer seems odd, I'll have to see what I think.

If it''s not in this phone because of the (rumored) metal back I'm guessing it won't be in the next phone either since every other year we only see spec bumps and not a new phone/case/design.

I'm sure it'll be huge since everyone who got the 4 will now be eligible to get this phone. Just wish there was more to get excited about. For me, phones like the Galaxy SIII are really starting to close the gap.
    Last edited by kilcher; 08-28-2012 at 04:02 PM.
    offdahglass likes this.
    08-28-2012 04:00 PM
    It's a bit of a letdown for me. There's nothing much to look forward to, at least not enough to get me to upgrade while I'm still on contract. LTE would be nice but I'm not even sure if and where it's available around here. Plus that means giving up my unlimited data. The larger screen will be nice but just having it longer seems odd, I'll have to see what I think.

If it''s not in this phone because of the (rumored) metal back I'm guessing it won't be in the next phone either since every other year we only see spec bumps and not a new phone/case/design.

I'm sure it'll be huge since everyone who got the 4 will now be eligible to get this phone. Just wish there was more to get excited about. For me, phones like the Galaxy SIII are really starting to close the gap.
    I agree. A longer screen???? What is that about? All of this is because of one-hand use? I'd rather have a 4.3' screen instead and give up one-handed use. That would be great. NFC? eh....
    08-28-2012 04:28 PM
    I agree. A longer screen???? What is that about? All of this is because of one-hand use? I'd rather have a 4.3' screen instead and give up one-handed use. That would be great. NFC? eh....
    Then you must be ecstatic that you can happily go buy a Galaxy S III...right? It's a bigger screen on an iPhone, something I'm personally not all for but not completely against either...4.3" screen? You can keep it.

NFC is still not even a widely used tech yet, including in this iPhone would almost a BETA type scenario, and with that, who cares if it's not included.
    08-28-2012 04:39 PM

Same here. NFC means nothing to me and won't play a role of any kind in deciding whether or not I purchase the next iPhone.
    Last edited by JustMe'D; 08-28-2012 at 07:10 PM.
    08-28-2012 04:42 PM
    Wait...someone mentioned having to give up their unlimited data in order to pick up the new phone.is that just for early upgrade?
    08-28-2012 05:11 PM
    It's hard to miss something i never wanted and the (next) iphone was never getting. But people are feeling let down? lol I share your pain. I always wanted to pay for junk at the store with my iphone. Unfortunately, that'll have to remain a fantasy.
    LazyStarGazer likes this.
    08-28-2012 05:43 PM

Agreed but plus a bigger screen.
    08-28-2012 06:20 PM
    I've been hopeful on NFC ever since rumors starters their rounds last year. An NFC chip, and an accompanying API, would open up all kinds of possibilities. I know it's already on some Android devices, but whenever Apple brings it to their products, it will gain near instant worldwide adoption by default. If they make a big deal out of it, you can bet money that other companies will be climbing over each other to make payment systems that are "Made For iPhone".
    08-28-2012 07:34 PM
    Wait...someone mentioned having to give up their unlimited data in order to pick up the new phone.is that just for early upgrade?
    That's if you take a subsidized upgrade from VZW. If you pay full retail you don't have to worry about that.

08-28-2012 08:37 PM
    That's if you take a subsidized upgrade from VZW. If you pay full retail you don't have to worry about that.

Thanks.....they don't miss a trick
    08-28-2012 08:57 PM
    I don't know why you'd care about NFC, I've never seen one place to even use it, I have a debit card that works fine already, I'd rather Apple put more effort into things you can use everyday, like a next gen A6 quad core chip which would make everything on the phone blazing fast. NFC seems like Google+, I don't think it will catch on..
    08-29-2012 12:01 AM
    I use NFC today to pay for parking in a shopping center car park, as well as for bridge tolls. I have not used it at McDonalds, but I would if it were on my phone.

If MasterCard pairs up with Apple and offers processing fee discounts to merchants, you can bet that NFC readers would become very common place.

Add finger print scan security to the transaction and you would me much more secure than even a physical card.

Coming in this next iPhone? Time will tell.

I believe NFC is coming. I'm not as sure about fingerprint scanning.
    08-29-2012 12:47 AM
    Agreed. Not keen on the limited benefits of a narrow screen. Make it bigger in both dimensions.
    08-29-2012 04:35 PM
    Nope. They will have NFC. It's like a must already. If they don't Google will truly take over.
    They need that NFC now.
    To reinvent the entire market.
    Google will take over? Nobody will use it on Android devices either.
    08-31-2012 06:52 AM
    Frankly, it's not a big deal this time around, I think.
    I've got NFC on my Skyrocket and my BB 9900. Not much opportunity to use it in my normal day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    08-31-2012 08:44 AM
    Cuz bb is mainly for the corporate world. Nobody gives a **** about it.
    Now its the iPhone and Android both employing NFC.
    and its like 90% of the market.
    and that most of us have a phone
    This means that shops would have to accommodate us by introducing NFC compatibility to gain business.
    This is how the world works man (: consumers are already the priority
    You have a very interesting (albeit wrong) approach to how the corporate world works...lol. But you keep on thinking on those lines...assume they are out for your best interest (especially in the consumer technology market).

You know when NFC will become a staple in the consumer world? Years after the first devices start implementing it and they can prove to the masses that the safety and security of it is legitimate...reading up about problems getting NFC to catch on, i saw that most complaints and hesitation comes from people thinking that it removes a security guard on their accounts when it comes to purchases, and while this isn't strictly black and white in truth, it is a factor that stores will have to convince consumers is safe.

NFC is still in the newborn stage right now...you could put it on every device available and it wont grow any faster than consumers allow it to, and in this world where identity fraud is becoming such a common place crime, you can bet your *** NFC isn't just going to magically become common place with the release of a single device (even as popular as the iPhone).

We are YEARS away.
    Last edited by SeanHRCC; 08-31-2012 at 02:34 PM.
    08-31-2012 02:12 PM
    Thank God... I really thought I was the only one who couldn't care less about NFC!
    09-01-2012 01:07 AM
    Thank God... I really thought I was the only one who couldn't care less about NFC!
    I keep thinking football when I hear NFC.
    09-01-2012 10:28 AM
    Now the rumor is no NFC - it's a letdown for me if true.
    You know the no NFC rumor is from one company based on the rumor that the iPhone 5 will have a metal back plate and that doesn't support an antennae.

Apple holds a patent on the use of NFC in a metal enclosure...
    09-01-2012 11:00 AM
    I keep thinking football when I hear NFC.
    That is EXACTLY what i was thinking every time i posted, lol...
    09-01-2012 11:32 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD