What if its not called iPhone 5 but iPhone 4gs?

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
There's nothing "confusing" about just calling it "iPhone" for me...

So which iPhone model do you have? Which accessories work with it?

All removing a number does is cause problems, I don't know why anyone would want Apple to do so, and for what? It would be a horrible marketing mistake, anybody even thinking of doing so should be kicked onto the streets of Cupertino.

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
It's the 6th generation with the 4th body design. Honestly iPhone 5 makes no sense to me. JMO.

It makes perfect sense, look at past iPhones, none of them made sense either except for the iPhone 4, obviously Apple doesn't care about matching numbers to generations, 5 comes next after 4 and is what 99% of the general public is already calling this years iPhone.The iPhone 3G was the secondf gen device, the 4S was the 5th gen device, they aren't gonna skip 5 to call it the iPhone 6.

So 5 is just the most logical, period, calling just the "new iPhone" is retarded and everyone will have fits this time next year when the "new iPhone comes out again. Why on Earth would Apple do something so ridiculously stupid??

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
"New iPhone" seems fitting to me, especially since it will follow the New iPad. Doesn't really matter what they call it, though. I'll just be happy when it's out. :)

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Wait, so what happens in 2013, 2014, 2015, when theres 3 different iPhones all called "the new one"?

Imagine if car companies just called all their new cars "the new one", might as well just start naming kids new and newer, no confusion there!:eek::rolleyes:

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
This just in...

It will be called "The Longer iPhone".

Many at Apple do not like the name as they think it should be called "The Taller iPhone".

LOL, thats the bigger issue for me, I wait 2.5 years to upgrade my iPhone 4 and all I get is space for another row of stagnant icons? No wonder even my die hard Apple friends are buying S3's!

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
It makes perfect sense, look at past iPhones, none of them made sense either except for the iPhone 4, obviously Apple doesn't care about matching numbers to generations, 5 comes next after 4 and is what 99% of the general public is already calling this years iPhone.The iPhone 3G was the secondf gen device, the 4S was the 5th gen device, they aren't gonna skip 5 to call it the iPhone 6.

So 5 is just the most logical, period, calling just the "new iPhone" is retarded and everyone will have fits this time next year when the "new iPhone comes out again. Why on Earth would Apple do something so ridiculously stupid??

This is the reason why numbers need and will go away.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site

The numbers it was called all had a reason:

iPhone
iPhone 3G for first iPhone with 3S
iPhone 3GS which meant iPhone 3G Speed
iPhone 4 for 4th generation
iPhone 4S for iPhone 4 Siri. Yes Mr Cook stated it was for Siri.

Could a 6th gen be called iPhone 5? Yes it could but very unlikely. This is now where numbers should go away as my last post above stated. I firmly believe it will be referred to as iPhone once again.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
People all over this site and others..

You are 100% wrong about that. In fact, the only thing i have really read on THIS site is people simply referencing the move Apple made with the last iPad release (name wise) and saying that it is logical to assume they would follow the same path. No clamoring, no love or hate for the idea of "The New Iphone", simply people going by Apple's move with "The New iPad".

To be honest, start calling it exotic animals (like OSX) for all i care...iPhone Zebra Monkey, I'm all in.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site

Did someone let motoleo use their iMore forum login? :D

mjk5025

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
You are 100% wrong about that. In fact, the only thing i have really read on THIS site is people simply referencing the move Apple made with the last iPad release (name wise) and saying that it is logical to assume they would follow the same path. No clamoring, no love or hate for the idea of "The New Iphone", simply people going by Apple's move with "The New iPad".

To be honest, start calling it exotic animals (like OSX) for all i care...iPhone Zebra Monkey, I'm all in.
It's not "The New iPad," it's the new iPad. Just as there has always been the new iMac, the new iPod, the new MacBook... and it being introduced as the new iPhone makes perfect sense. And yes, you will still know which one you have as it will be identified in more technical contexts as iPhone (2012) or iPhone (6th Generation).

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
It's not "The New iPad," it's the new iPad. Just as there has always been the new iMac, the new iPod, the new MacBook... and it being introduced as the new iPhone makes perfect sense. And yes, you will still know which one you have as it will be identified in more technical contexts as iPhone (2012) or iPhone (6th Generation).

Wait, "The New iPad" or the new iPad??? I think you got his point.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

You can't be that stupid...you just can't be. You said EXACTLY what i said. And you're making the EXACT same point i was making.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
LOL, thats the bigger issue for me, I wait 2.5 years to upgrade my iPhone 4 and all I get is space for another row of stagnant icons? No wonder even my die hard Apple friends are buying S3's!

Really? Apple hasn't even said what the new iPhone will be called or what the true specs are for it and you're this quick to put it down.... Not cool. Anyway, if your friends were that much in a hurry to get a new phone that they couldn't wait till Apple made the announcement, then that is their loss, and I doubt they were the die hard Apple fans that you say they were. Personally, I think people are making too big of a deal out of the whole name thing, and the look thing as well. I've gotten used to hearing about the looks, though. People complain every year about what it looks like, "OMG, the new iPhone looks just like the one last year, I can't get the new one now as no one will know that I have the new one", lmao!
happy-058.gif

Sent from my iPad LTE using Tapatalk HD.

Last edited:

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Really? Apple hasn't even said what the new iPhone will be called or what the true specs are for it and you're this quick to put it down.... Not cool. Anyway, if your friends were that much in a hurry to get an iPhone that they couldn't wait till Apple made the announcement, then that is their loss. Personally, I think people are making too big of a deal out of the whole name thing, and the look thing as well. I've gotten used to hearing about the looks, though. People complain every year about what it looks like, "OMG, the new iPhone looks just like the one last year, I can't get the new one now as no one will know that I have the new one", lmao! Click to view quoted image

Sent from my iPad LTE using Tapatalk HD.

Logic with the troll is futile.

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
The numbers it was called all had a reason:

iPhone
iPhone 3G for first iPhone with 3S
iPhone 3GS which meant iPhone 3G Speed
iPhone 4 for 4th generation
iPhone 4S for iPhone 4 Siri. Yes Mr Cook stated it was for Siri.

Could a 6th gen be called iPhone 5? Yes it could but very unlikely. This is now where numbers should go away as my last post above stated. I firmly believe it will be referred to as iPhone once again.

That worked great when there was only one iPhone, again, I still haven't seen a logical reason for Apple to confuse everybody by just calling it an iPhone.

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site

BS, on this site and others I've seen countless people throwing fits when someone calls it the 5, they think because they did it with the iPad that its set in stone they are doing the same with the iPhone.

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
Really? Apple hasn't even said what the new iPhone will be called or what the true specs are for it and you're this quick to put it down.... Not cool.

Where have you been all summer? Have you not seen all the leaks? I hate to break it to you but if you think Apple is gonna give us anything other than a stretched 4S then you are dreaming. It's obvious Apple thinks they are on top and always will be and doesn't care to keep up with the competition who has passed them and is speeding off into the sunset. It would take some really revolutionary hardware to impress me, but nothing is out there to indicate they are doing anything other than another incremental bump. We know iOS6 is a big dud and looks like a joke compared to Androids point release of Jellybean. We know we're getting a 16:9 screen to fit another row of stagnant icons, iOS6 doesn't contain anything else that could spice things up.

Unless they've pulled the marketing stunt of the decade, and all the leaked phone parts are fake, I'm afraid you're going to be in for a disappointment.

Anyway, if your friends were that much in a hurry to get a new phone that they couldn't wait till Apple made the announcement, then that is their loss, and I doubt they were the die hard Apple fans that you say they were.

Sorry but I think I know my friends better than you, their minds were changed by a family member who got a S3, you see, not everybody has blind devotion to a company, even if they are big fans of them. I was surprised they made the switch but apparently the S3 made their iPhones look dated, I'm still waiting to see for myself, I can wait until Sep 12th, although I'm not expecting anything special..

Personally, I think people are making too big of a deal out of the whole name thing, and the look thing as well. I've gotten used to hearing about the looks, though. People complain every year about what it looks like, "OMG, the new iPhone looks just like the one last year, I can't get the new one now as no one will know that I have the new one", lmao! Click to view quoted image

I really hope you aren't insinuating that I am one of those fashion victims, as you would be sorely mistaken. I could care less if it looks too much like this or that, I care about the hardware and the software, period. I care about the screen being wider, not just taller, I care about getting a better chip that is much faster, I care about a better camera, I care about getting a notification light, and I care about an operating system that isn't stuck in 2007. I always thought it was the fanboys that cared about showing off their iPhones and Macbooks, putting different colored bumpers on their phones everyday to match their skinny jeans and sweater vests..:p