What if its not called iPhone 5 but iPhone 4gs?

Rival Clown

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
After the iPhone 3G and then of course iPhone 3GS after the iintergration of 3G technology (back in the day) wouldn't it also make sense to call the iPhone 5 the iPhone 4GS too if LTE/4G is included? After all, the whole new "redial redesign" isn't really that much of an upgrade to the design and looks apart from the rumoured two tone back panel so I don't really think its a big enough change to call the next iPhone the iPhone 5. It's just a quick thought but it would make sense right?

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I don't care what it's called. If the new iPhone suits my tastes, I will buy it and if it does not, I won't.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
After the iPhone 3G and then of course iPhone 3GS after the iintergration of 3G technology (back in the day) wouldn't it also make sense to call the iPhone 5 the iPhone 4GS too if LTE/4G is included? After all, the whole new "redial redesign" isn't really that much of an upgrade to the design and looks apart from the rumoured two tone back panel so I don't really think its a big enough change to call the next iPhone the iPhone 5. It's just a quick thought but it would make sense right?

The 3GS was not named for the 3G tech integration, the 3G was.

Also, the 4S was essentially the "3GS" enhanced model to the iPhone 4 (as the 3GS was to the 3G)...the next iPhone will probably be called iPhone, as that seems to be Apple's current plan of progression with names (simplified, removing people's inherent focus on model number changes to represent the "best" product on offer from a manufacturer. Lot's of car companies are doing it too these days)

And technically, the iPhone 4S has "4G" speeds, just not LTE.

DomFeeney

Oct 12, 2008
Visit site
My money's on "the new iPhone" or to a lesser extent, perhaps "iPhone 5"

2013 model will then be "the new iPhone" or "iPhone 5s"

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site

It makes no sense. Quit being a clown.

Reactions: BreakingKayfabe

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site

The "new iPhone" ;) That's my guess and I'd bet money on it.

Sharma15

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
It's either new iPhone or iPhone 5. The 4S is already taken... And 4GS is really not likely to happen.

Sent from my Jailbroken Facebook Machine using Tapatalk

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
iPhone 5 makes the most sense, hopefully they don't do something idiotic and call it the "new iPhone" like the fanboys are clamoring for, nothing like confusing your customer base on your most important product.

Just wait and see when the iPad 4 comes out, will it be the "new iPad"? The "newest iPad"? Or the "new, new iPad"?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
iPhone 5 makes the most sense, hopefully they don't do something idiotic and call it the "new iPhone" like the fanboys are clamoring for, nothing like confusing your customer base on your most important product.

Just wait and see when the iPad 4 comes out, will it be the "new iPad"? The "newest iPad"? Or the "new, new iPad"?

Who's clamoring for that name? Nobody I've read from...

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site

There's nothing "confusing" about just calling it "iPhone" for me...

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site

It's the 6th generation with the 4th body design. Honestly iPhone 5 makes no sense to me. JMO.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
The "new iPhone" ;) That's my guess and I'd bet money on it.

"New iPhone" seems fitting to me, especially since it will follow the New iPad. Doesn't really matter what they call it, though. I'll just be happy when it's out. :)

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

osensnolf

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
This just in...

It will be called "The Longer iPhone".

Many at Apple do not like the name as they think it should be called "The Taller iPhone".