confused on verizon upgrade plans

ajw2495

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
hey guys. just a little confused.. before my iPhone 4S I had an iPhone 4. I was grandfathered into an unlimited Verizon data plan. When I preordered the for 4S, I was still locked into the unlimited data plan. Now however I'm hearing that even though I was/still am grandfathered in, I'm going to have to pay for the new data plans and wont be able to get unlimited data anyway. is this correct? I really hope it's not but from what I'm hearing I'm guessing that it is?

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
You will still be able to keep your unlimited data plan with Verizon as long as you pay full retail price for the phone. Anyone who upgrades at the discounted price point will have their unlimited data plan removed.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Yep, Verizon knows they got you. If you want an LTE iphone, you'll have to pay up or take the data sharing plan. Most will choose the latter.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Yep, Verizon knows they got you. If you want an LTE iphone, you'll have to pay up or take the data sharing plan. Most will choose the latter.

One can easily go to their 'my Verizon' page, analyze their use and determine an average data use, and find a tier that will meet their needs while allowing for some room for not getting overages. And if they're lucky, they might save a little $$ in the deal.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
One can easily go to their 'my Verizon' page, analyze their use and determine an average data use, and find a tier that will meet their needs while allowing for some room for not getting overages. And if they're lucky, they might save a little $$ in the deal.

None of the iphone users on Verizon have LTE. You can't go by past 3G use.

What if dial up users figured, welp, i used less than 100mb every month, i'll be fine with a 500mb broadband cap... Nevermind the dial up user hardly used it because it was so slow. Or couldn't even stream video.

LTE will allow users to do things faster, things they couldn't do before on 3G, and more often. They'll be consuming more data. The iphone will have a bigger screen urging more data use.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
LTE will allow users to do things faster, things they couldn't do before on 3G, and more often. They'll be consuming more data. The iphone will have a bigger screen urging more data use.

Anyone with even less than half a lick of sense will be able to take that into account when selecting their tier level for a new plan...

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
My usage about doubled when I switched from a 3G phone (iPhone 4) to a 4G one (Razr Maxx).

Agree with lte your data will increase because of faster speeds even if it's an iphone. Plus their new share plans are a rip off to 99% of people anyway who will get stuck paying more if they stick with verizon.

Rusty Shackelford#IM

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I was running 2 iPhone 4's with unlimited everything grandfathered in. Called verizon, they gave me an average data usage over the course of 6 months. Never have we gone over 4 gig combined in a month and that was with using tethering for two iPads. We switched to the share everything with 8 gig a month for good measure and have still not gone over. Not to mention, because they don't charge for tethering on the SE plans we are saving about 90$ a month. Even if I bump up to 10 gig shared I will be saving 70$ a month.

I think a lot depends on what kind of user you are and how much data you need.

The best part for me at this point is that when the next iPhone comes out, my plan is already compatible with it. Good luck to all making the decision, but my experience thus far has been a very positive one.

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I have an LTE android device grandfathered into the unlimited data, as well as an iPhone, and
My understanding is that if we ever use an "upgrade" price we will have to switch to the family share plan. Which for myself and my two devices is not a good thing! :(

sudbury78

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
See I am torn what to do as posted in an earlier post. My iPad lte is on a 1gb plan and I have yet to ever go over and I use it daily, granted lots of time home in wifi. I do real estate so if I'm jot out and about I am on wifi. I was planning on selling my 4s now to get top dollar and buy new one at retail. BUT, I am somewhat cautious if the potential battery is an issue on 4g like all the androids are. I would probably go back to my 4s if I still had it. Ugh.

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I have an LTE android device grandfathered into the unlimited data, as well as an iPhone, and
My understanding is that if we ever use an "upgrade" price we will have to switch to the family share plan. Which for myself and my two devices is not a good thing! :(

Yes. That's correct.

If I had to guess, at some point in time in the future, I'm sure Verizon will force all grandfathered unlimited data plans to switch to the tiered plans no matter what whether you upgrade or not. When that time comes, I'll have to take a hard look at other WSPs.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Yes. That's correct.

If I had to guess, at some point in time in the future, I'm sure Verizon will force all grandfathered unlimited data plans to switch to the tiered plans no matter what whether you upgrade or not. When that time comes, I'll have to take a hard look at other WSPs.

No that is not correct
If you use your upgrade they can not force you to change your whole plan you will have 2 options
Go to new share plan
Or add 2 gig for 30
Unless your a brand new customer of course
I have confirmed this with Verizon twice just to make sure

Another trick that im going to do is use another lines upgrade that already is on tiered data then esn swap to my line and keep my data ..

You only lose your data when the line with the unlimited data signs a new contract

I will keep my unlimited till they rip it from my death grip lol

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
No that is not correct
If you use your upgrade they can not force you to change your whole plan you will have 2 options
Go to new share plan
Or add 2 gig for 30

Another trick that im going to do is use another lines upgrade that already is on tiered data then esn swap to my line and keep my data ..

You only lose your data when the line with the unlimited data signs a new contract

There is no 2gig for $30 anymore go check verizons website.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Yes. That's correct.

Same. Hopefully att keeps their individual plans and doesn't go all or nothing on share plans and I would seriously consider switching to them. Verizons share plans I'd be paying way more for much less

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
No that is not correct
Go to new share plan
Or add 2 gig for 30

You didn't read my post.

I said sometime in the near future Verizon would force all of us with grandfathered data plans to switch whether we wanted to or not. It's quite clear they're doing everything in their power to force those of us with unlimited data to move to a tiered plan. They've figured out another way to force us to do it - pay full price for a phone which many people won't do - or switch to a tiered plan for a subsidized phone price.

Again, to repeat what I said so I'm clear - I wouldn't be surprised if Verizon forces those of us with grandfathered unlimited data plans to change to a tiered plan at some point in time no matter what. Change by X date or you'll automatically be enrolled in the 4GB shared plan unless you call us and change your GB allowance but you will be changed and there's nothing any of us can do about it.

Edit - and like the other poster said, the 2GB for $30 is gone. It's shared data plans only now for smart phones. There are no other options.

Last edited:

zwoof

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I think the cap sucks, It's a ripoff and there's no need to offer up a cafeteria plan and dump unlimited because the network can handle the traffic. These carriers are just holding back so they can make an easy buck off the consumer. I'm gonna hang on to my unlimited data as long as possible. I have an iphone already so I see no need to upgrade early and lose the unlimited plan.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro