AT&T is jacking the early upgrade fee up $50...prepare your wallets!

08-14-2012 03:30 PM
    At least you get to keep your unlimited data. Those of us on Verizon have to pay full price to keep our unlimited data. You're still saving $$ in this case compared to Verizon.
    08-14-2012 03:49 PM
    Glad I get to upgrade every 12 months.

Via Tapatalk iPhone 4S
    08-14-2012 03:56 PM

Click to view quoted image
    They did that last summer before the 4S launched
    08-14-2012 04:05 PM
    At least you get to keep your unlimited data. Those of us on Verizon have to pay full price to keep our unlimited data. You're still saving $$ in this case compared to Verizon.
    I'd still rather pay full price than lose my unlimited data. I use way too much do add an extra $60 or so to my bill to switch to tiered to get the amount I need.
    DaPhoneking likes this.
    08-14-2012 04:08 PM
    I'd still rather pay full price than lose my unlimited data. I use way too much do add an extra $60 or so to my bill to switch to tiered to get the amount I need.
    I'm in the same boat. Paying $650+ is well worth it for now to keep unlimited data. Once sprint and tmo get their lte I may switch.
    08-14-2012 08:37 PM
    I'm in the same boat. Paying $650+ is well worth it for now to keep unlimited data. Once sprint and tmo get their lte I may switch.
    I had Sprint. Their plans were awesome and cheap, but their service sucked.

Will TMo even get the new iPhone?
    08-15-2012 09:13 AM
    They did that last summer before the 4S launched
    That's the way I remember it...
    08-15-2012 09:17 AM
    I don't remember having that extra $50 premium last year...i could have just ignored it though.
    08-15-2012 10:25 AM

Click to view quoted image
    I love it!! That's why i never do an early upgrade. I'd rather wait until the results are in, before i buy.
    Premium1 and DaPhoneking like this.
    08-15-2012 11:09 AM
    I had Sprint. Their plans were awesome and cheap, but their service sucked.

Will TMo even get the new iPhone?
    Well tmo is refarming some of their spectrum to the 1900 band that att uses so when that happens if nothing else you can get 3/4g rather than just edge on an iPhone.
    08-15-2012 11:33 AM
    I had posted a thread yesterday regarding the unlimited data option with Verizon by buying at full retail. Is it possible these carriers will say everyone will have to be on a tiered data plan even if bought at retail?
    08-15-2012 01:07 PM
    I had posted a thread yesterday regarding the unlimited data option with Verizon by buying at full retail. Is it possible these carriers will say everyone will have to be on a tiered data plan even if bought at retail?
    It's always possible. Anything is... but pretty unlikely at this point...
    08-15-2012 01:26 PM
    I don't remember having that extra $50 premium last year...i could have just ignored it though.
    Yeah it changed around late spring or early summer. I had to pay the extra $50 on mine.
    08-15-2012 02:37 PM
    I don't think they will anytime soon since its a very small minority who is willing to pay full price to keep unlimited. Maybe in a year or so that will change but not looking that way now. People will just think I want the phone I gotta get a new plan and Pay $200 compared to $600+
    08-15-2012 02:51 PM
    $650....? I wish. I'm going for the full monty of 64GB for $850.
    08-15-2012 05:53 PM
    Yeah it changed around late spring or early summer. I had to pay the extra $50 on mine.
    How does AT&T's early upgrade program work. Because you paid more for upgrading last year, does that mean you qualify for a FULL upgrade this year? Or is it once you start early upgrades with the iPhone you always pay more unless you skip a year? Thanks.
    08-15-2012 06:08 PM
    $650....? I wish. I'm going for the full monty of 64GB for $850.
    Luckily for me 16gb is plenty especially with my tablet. Plus I'll sell my current phone and end up paying around $200ish anyway
    08-15-2012 06:13 PM
    How does AT&T's early upgrade program work. Because you paid more for upgrading last year, does that mean you qualify for a FULL upgrade this year? Or is it once you start early upgrades with the iPhone you always pay more unless you skip a year? Thanks.
    I think it goes by when your contract ends or the period you would normally be allowed to upgrade without any extra fees.
    08-15-2012 06:17 PM
    I get full upgrade every year. My wife's line only gets early upgrade since its not the primary line but we are iPhone junkies so we pay it. By the time we sell our old iPhones, it's almost a even wash.

And to answer you question, no her line never gets full upgrade because we start a new 2 year contract every year to get her the new iPhone.
    08-15-2012 06:26 PM
    I think it goes by when your contract ends or the period you would normally be allowed to upgrade without any extra fees.
    With AT&T one can upgrade with a full discount at 20 months. However, my question is since one has to sign a new 2 year agreement with AT&T to get an early upgrade, does this push the date of the full upgrade to 20 months as well? If it does then I don't consider it to be a good deal, and almost the same thing as paying full retail one year and then getting a full upgrade the following year.

Hope this makes sense.
    08-15-2012 06:28 PM
    With AT&T one can upgrade with a full discount at 20 months. However, my question is since one has to sign a new 2 year agreement with AT&T to get an early upgrade, does this push the date of the full upgrade to 20 months as well? If it does then I don't consider it to be a good deal, and almost the same thing as paying full retail one year and then getting a full upgrade the following year.

Hope this makes sense.
    I typically sell our previous model 32GB's for about $450 on Craigslist. To get early upgrade for same 32GB, it's $550. So basically we pay $100 + the tax to get her a new iPhone. It's worth it in my opinion. We've done it every year. Plus when we sell mine, I get more on CL for my used one than I pay for the new one on contract so most times it's a even wash. New iPhones for both and no additional spent.
    08-15-2012 06:35 PM
    I typically sell our previous model 32GB's for about $450 on Craigslist. To get early upgrade for same 32GB, it's $550. So basically we pay $100 + the tax to get her a new iPhone. It's worth it in my opinion. We've done it every year. Plus when we sell mine, I get more on CL for my used one than I pay for the new one on contract so most times it's a even wash. New iPhones for both and no additional spent.
    In your case this would be worth it then. In mine not, since I pass all of my old iPhones down to my kids, lol.
    08-15-2012 06:47 PM
    In your case this would be worth it then. In mine not, since I pass all of my old iPhones down to my kids, lol.
    That would be very expensive for me since I buy 2 every year
    08-15-2012 06:50 PM
    That would be very expensive for me since I buy 2 every year
    Yeah, I'm in the same boat...and we do the same thing every year, buy the 2 new ones, sell the two old ones and at most come out of pocket about $100 (which ain't bad). This year though, my wife is not really liking the new iPhone leaks, and is hoping for something different when they officially announce it, combined with the fact that she was turned off by the idea that the battery life might be worse (though ive told her countless time that could just be the rumor mill going before release)...and she loves her 4S more than any other phone she's ever had.

Im guessing this tune will change though if i get mine and she realizes she has the old one still...haha.
    08-15-2012 07:51 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD