I am thinking I am going to start trying to sell my 4s this next week to get the best value. I am trying to figure out what phone I am going to use for 5 weeks though while we wait for the 5 to be released. I HAVE to buy at retail to keep my unlimited data with Verizon. ( I think that is the only solution from what I hear to keep unlimited).

Is anyone else thinking the same?
    08-14-2012 01:39 PM
    I always sell my iPhone after I buy the next and I've had every one since the 3G. I also have to sell 2 iPhones as well. I get good money on CL.
    08-14-2012 01:56 PM
    i'm confused. are you selling a 4 or 4S?
    08-14-2012 02:00 PM
    I have the 4s.
    08-14-2012 02:15 PM
    Is it worth paying a extra $450 over contract pricing to keep unlimited data? What is your average monthly data usage?
    08-14-2012 02:20 PM
    Garz, I would think yes because with getting $400 for the 4s the difference may be same subsidized price on a 2 year contract ya know?
    08-14-2012 02:25 PM
    I bought the 4S two weeks ago factory unlocked in order to sell it back AFTER the coming out of the next iPhone. Had to give my girlfriend my 4 cause the old 3GS just died, and I decided to get a 4S brand new at Apple's. Reason was, I was ready to pay the 100-200$ more at Apple's just to get it brand new and unlocked, seeing as 550$-650$ were the current aftermarket prices for unlocked 4S 16GB. Just as much as we know it's gonna drop in price, it remains an iPhone. Highest selling smartphone on the aftermarket. When I'll sell it, I can expect to lose a hundred dollars on my price point (550). But of course I'll have a few things going on for me : factory unlocked, more than 10 months of warranty with receipt; box, accessories, all untouched; shielded front and back + case from the very second it left the original plastic; two cases. What I mean is, it all depends on the condition your 4S is in, how many GB, what warranty's left, what accessories come with it, do you have the original box and receipt. If its a naked 4S 16GB bought last november and locked to some carrier with no receipt, then you can't get much more than 350-400 RIGHT NOW, and I'd expect to drop at 300 quite soon.
    08-14-2012 02:30 PM
    Garz, I would think yes because with getting $400 for the 4s the difference may be same subsidized price on a 2 year contract ya know?
    But how much data do you average a month? That's what will really tell you if it's worth it.
    08-14-2012 03:04 PM
    have no idea actually.
    08-14-2012 03:18 PM
    have no idea actually.
    Your Vzn online account should tell you I believe. My AT&T account does. I average about 2.2 GB's a month.
    CG68 likes this.
    08-14-2012 03:45 PM
    In most cases you will get screwed paying more with new Verizon plans. Paying full retail here and once contract is up may switch carriers since unlimited data was only thing keeping me with Verizon.
    08-14-2012 03:52 PM
    Is it worth paying a extra $450 over contract pricing to keep unlimited data? What is your average monthly data usage?
    If you don't have access to wifi most of the day and you blaze through data like I do, then paying full price for a phone to keep unlit'd data is definitely worth it.
    Eileen89, DaPhoneking and F34R like this.
    08-14-2012 04:10 PM
    If you don't have access to wifi most of the day and you blaze through data like I do, then paying full price for a phone to keep unlit'd data is definitely worth it.
    I rarely use wifi since my HSPA+ speeds are faster than my wifi but I also don't do much streaming either. Most data I've ever used was 2.7GB's so it really depends on the individual if they really need unlimited.
    08-14-2012 04:12 PM
    I rarely use wifi since my HSPA+ speeds are faster than my wifi but I also don't do much streaming either. Most data I've ever used was 2.7GB's so it really depends on the individual if they really need unlimited.
    I suspect this will change when the new iPhone comes out given that it will be LTE capable. I definitely used more data on Verizon's LTE network with the HTC Rezound in 2 weeks (over 3GB) than I do on AT&T's HSPA+ network with my 4S ( < 500MB). This was based on the same type of data usage too. If I was a Verizon customer and had an unlimited data plan, like Laura, I would try to hang on to that plan for as long as I could. Even if it meant having to pay more for whichever handset I was going to use.
    DaPhoneking and F34R like this.
    08-14-2012 07:11 PM
    In most cases you will get screwed paying more with new Verizon plans. Paying full retail here and once contract is up may switch carriers since unlimited data was only thing keeping me with Verizon.
    I think for an individual user this is probably true. However, to some who are on a family plan with more than one device I could see where they might save a little more than they did on Verizon's older family share plans.
    08-14-2012 07:14 PM
    I think for an individual user this is probably true. However, to some who are on a family plan with more than one device I could see where they might save a little more than they did on Verizon's older family share plans.
    Even on a family plan unless you use very little data the plans are more expensive. Wish they had more options than just unlimited talk and text I'd rather have unlimited text since my plan rarely uses very many minutes for a cheaper rate.
    08-14-2012 08:36 PM
    I suspect this will change when the new iPhone comes out given that it will be LTE capable. I definitely used more data on Verizon's LTE network with the HTC Rezound in 2 weeks (over 3GB) than I do on AT&T's HSPA+ network with my 4S ( < 500MB). This was based on the same type of data usage too. If I was a Verizon customer and had an unlimited data plan, like Laura, I would try to hang on to that plan for as long as I could. Even if it meant having to pay more for whichever handset I was going to use.
    Time will tell. I have LTE on my iPad and I have 1 GB and never gone over that using data 5 days a week but then again, I don't use data hog apps or anything. We'll see.
    08-14-2012 08:43 PM
    I actually looked at my usage and from july 13 until now, I have only used up just over 1 gig. I use CNBC a lot during day but I guess with emailing and that its not a ton of data after all. Granted, if the facebook app ever gets resolved, I would use that a lot more. I guess I could always buy the phone with a contract and when I want to upgrade in a year, sell and buy new at retail.
    08-14-2012 09:09 PM
    My billing cycle resets August 23rd and I'm already over 5GB. I stream. A lot. I have access to wifi at work, but it's hospital wifi and they block every streaming site so I can't stream my Sirius on my iPhone through hospital wifi hence the usage.
    08-15-2012 09:12 AM
    My billing cycle resets August 23rd and I'm already over 5GB. I stream. A lot. I have access to wifi at work, but it's hospital wifi and they block every streaming site so I can't stream my Sirius on my iPhone through hospital wifi hence the usage.
    I too will be buying retail and keeping my Verizon unlimited. However as for selling my current iP4 32GB, I will be keeping it, just in case. I too stream time to time at work (i.e. Netflix, Slacker, etc) and the IRS is too cheap to add WiFi to the buildings. Fortunately Verizon is adding and expanding a whole bunch of markets tomorrow, including Cincinnati, OH. I am ready.
    08-15-2012 06:04 PM
    See that's the key. You stream and that's a data hog. I almost never stream so my data usage is always small.
    08-15-2012 06:28 PM
    See that's the key. You stream and that's a data hog. I almost never stream so my data usage is always small.
    Laura isn't really hogging anything, though. After all, she is still paying for all of the data she consumes. I consider a hog to be a person that uses 50+GB a month simply because they can, as I've read about people doing on other iPhone forums.
    08-15-2012 06:50 PM
    Laura isn't really hogging anything, though. After all, she is still paying for all of the data she consumes. I consider a hog to be a person that uses 50+GB a month simply because they can, as I've read about people doing on other iPhone forums.
    My point was that's why she uses that much and why I don't. Not what she is paying for. She streams, I don't.
    08-15-2012 06:56 PM
    If someone is using 50+ GB of data per month on their phone they need a girlfriend or life lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    08-15-2012 08:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD