iphone 5 screen size

Safado1

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm very disappointed with the screen size on the new iPhone. I had hoped it would be bigger. I really don't want to give up iPhone for Samsung and android, but I have no option. My eyes are typical for someone in their 50's and simply can't read much while browsing. If I zoom I get one small part of the page. Apparently Apple still values compact size over functionality while I can't. Bye iPhone!

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm very disappointed with the screen size on the new iPhone. I had hoped it would be bigger. I really don't want to give up iPhone for Samsung and android, but I have no option. My eyes are typical for someone in their 50's and simply can't read much while browsing. If I zoom I get one small part of the page. Apparently Apple still values compact size over functionality while I can't. Bye iPhone!

Wonderful thing choices... so many options, something for everyone. What a great world we live in with so many fun gadgets in all shapes and sizes to choose from. I can't personally see getting a bigger screen as I still want a phone, not a pocket tablet, but that is why there are so many choices. Hope you find the idea phone.

kilcher

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site

I believe everything I read and I'm very disappointed with the rumored screen size on the new iPhone.

Fixed........

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

Perhaps it's time for some lasik surgery instead of a new phone.

To be honest, i find these kind's of assessments a bit humorous, because the difference in size between the PROPOSED new iPhone screen and phones like the Galaxy S III typically would not be enough to make text substantially easier to read...then again, you may be in the market for something like the Galaxy Note, which is basically a mini-Tablet, and in that case, good luck to you, enjoy that thing on your belt or in your pocket, lol.

To speak on the age relevance though, my mom is in her late 50's and has no issues with the screen on her iPhone 4.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Perhaps it's time for some lasik surgery instead of a new phone.

To be honest, i find these kind's of assessments a bit humorous, because the difference in size between the PROPOSED new iPhone screen and phones like the Galaxy S III typically would not be enough to make text substantially easier to read...then again, you may be in the market for something like the Galaxy Note, which is basically a mini-Tablet, and in that case, good luck to you, enjoy that thing on your belt or in your pocket, lol.

To speak on the age relevance though, my mom is in her late 50's and has no issues with the screen on her iPhone 4.

I know a few people with the note and it fits easily in pockets unless you wear skinny jeans which in that case get some new jeans. Plus to go with the OP the text is noticeably smaller on my iPhone compared to my sgs3.

jfrebel

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
screen size alone isn't enough to get me to switch since I'm invested in apple, (apps, boks, music, etc) and have grown comfortable with their OS.

but its a legitimate complaint, if the rumors turn out to be true.

I can't read the microscopic webpages without zooming in.

I have bad eyes, and I don't wear hipster skinny jeans either. an iphone with a galaxy S III screen would make me a very happy camper. I could keep the OS I love, and it wouldn't be such a pain to read the print.

for things like reading app reviews on the app store I have to resort to apples zooming that apple offers as part of the accessibility features. to move around the screen scrolling back and forth and up and down requires dragging 3 fingers on the screen.

its really annoying.

I really hope the rumors are false, perhaps a decoy released by apple to distract folks from revealing the real iphone.

assuming it is the real iphone it makes me wonder how apple expects to compete with folks like samsung.

There are many geek features normal people won't care about or even understand.

screen size is something even grandma can instantly notice.

Hey here's a phone with a big screen, its easy for me to see. and here's another with a puny screen with microscopic print.

I don't think iphones sell well because people like the tiny screens. I think it sells well because of its rock solid OS, and apples superb customer service.

I think if apple made a larger screen (both wider and taller), they could utterly take over the market.

just my humble opinion.

I would like to hear from anybody who might have an idea what apple is thinking, and why they may not be wanting to make larger screens, even though many want one and all their competitors are offering it.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
screen size alone isn't enough to get me to switch since I'm invested in apple, (apps, boks, music, etc) and have grown comfortable with their OS.

but its a legitimate complaint, if the rumors turn out to be true.

I can't read the microscopic webpages without zooming in.

I have bad eyes, and I don't wear hipster skinny jeans either. an iphone with a galaxy S III screen would make me a very happy camper. I could keep the OS I love, and it wouldn't be such a pain to read the print.

for things like reading app reviews on the app store I have to resort to apples zooming that apple offers as part of the accessibility features. to move around the screen scrolling back and forth and up and down requires dragging 3 fingers on the screen.

its really annoying.

I really hope the rumors are false, perhaps a decoy released by apple to distract folks from revealing the real iphone.

assuming it is the real iphone it makes me wonder how apple expects to compete with folks like samsung.

There are many geek features normal people won't care about or even understand.

screen size is something even grandma can instantly notice.

Hey here's a phone with a big screen, its easy for me to see. and here's another with a puny screen with microscopic print.

I don't think iphones sell well because people like the tiny screens. I think it sells well because of its rock solid OS, and apples superb customer service.

I think if apple made a larger screen (both wider and taller), they could utterly take over the market.

just my humble opinion.

I would like to hear from anybody who might have an idea what apple is thinking, and why they may not be wanting to make larger screens, even though many want one and all their competitors are offering it.

I think the only reason they don't make it wider if this design turns out to be true is because everyone would complain about apps needing to be fixed for a whole new resolution and not just more pixels length wise. I think its a mistake on apples part because they could figure out how to get all apps to work with the new resolution. Who knows maybe someday they will.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I think the only reason they don't make it wider if this design turns out to be true is because everyone would complain about apps needing to be fixed for a whole new resolution and not just more pixels length wise. I think its a mistake on apples part because they could figure out how to get all apps to work with the new resolution. Who knows maybe someday they will.

That happened for so long when TV's moved to the 16:9 widescreen format from 4:8. For years and years people were not satisfied with their beloved TV shows and movies that were not formatted correctly and were stretched on the new TVs (especially HD sets). I hope Apple doesn't get stuck on that issue because people have to move with technology...apps that don't take up the whole screen because they are old and not formatted for a larger screen will be phased out over time with apps that replace them, and with the way these tech toys move on the market, people need to expect these kind of movements in very short periods of time now...

jfrebel

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Even if this rumored iphone comes true, apps would have to have to adapt to the new screen or have black lines below and above the app (or to the side if the phone is held in landscape)

Therefore that point becomes moot as an explanation for why apple isn't making a screen that is wider as well as taller so as to be easier to read.

apple could have simply made the phone bigger at the same aspect ratio. sure less pixel density but unless you're a rare person with perfect vision, you wouldn't notice the difference.

but apple could have kept the retina display if it wanted, and apps would have to adapt. as they're going to have to anyway if this rumored phone is legit.

Last edited:

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Even if this rumored iphone comes true, apps would have to have to adapt to the new screen or have black lines below and above the app (or to the side if the phone is held in landscape)

Therefore that point becomes moot as an explanation for why apple isn't making a screen that is wider as well as taller so as to be easier to read.

apple could have simply made the phone bigger at the same aspect ratio. sure less pixel density but unless you're a rare person with perfect vision, you wouldn't notice the difference.

but apple could have kept the retina display if it wanted, and apps would have to adapt. as they're going to have to anyway if this rumored phone is legit.

Actually it would be a lot easier for devs to simply add in making the app scale an extra 176 pixels long than adding both length and width. And they need to keep "retina" for marketing with all the HD screens on android and upcoming wp and potentially BlackBerry devices.

Shooter03

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

Do you know something the rest of us don't??? cause last i checked Apple hadn't announced a new iPhone let alone given all the specs out. post's like this are just a joke, wait until the new iPhone announced to start disliking it please.

GPAbsinthe

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I guess everybody can believe what they want about the hypothetical elongated screen, and it's not like if it was never pointed out in the thousands of articles on the subject, but... just longer means : closer to the 16:9 ratio; keep the "fits in any hand" size; retain a very similar overall size for the device; makes the transition easy for devs. Methinks, the next iPhone could realistically be no more than an extra 5mm in lenght, whatever the leaks suggest, would Apple just cut in the front bezels a little. In any way, barely noticeable. Now, if Apple goes larger too, it means they want to achieve a 4.5 inches screen, and that will not happen IMHO. Of course, one may say, Apple never cared about the 16:9 ratio, so why start now? But a more obvious point would be : why go larger when just going longer seems to meet all requirements? I don't see Apple compromise the "fits in any hand" size just to AVOID getting closer to a 16:9 ratio... ?

I don't mean that one has to like it... just like larger screens out there are not necessarily what people want... but I'm not sure exactly HOW an elongated screen would be a mistake or a sign of laziness or anything of that sort. It seems like a logical step to me.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I guess everybody can believe what they want about the hypothetical elongated screen, and it's not like if it was never pointed out in the thousands of articles on the subject, but... just longer means : closer to the 16:9 ratio; keep the "fits in any hand" size; retain a very similar overall size for the device; makes the transition easy for devs. Methinks, the next iPhone could realistically be no more than an extra 5mm in lenght, whatever the leaks suggest, would Apple just cut in the front bezels a little. In any way, barely noticeable. Now, if Apple goes larger too, it means they want to achieve a 4.5 inches screen, and that will not happen IMHO. Of course, one may say, Apple never cared about the 16:9 ratio, so why start now? But a more obvious point would be : why go larger when just going longer seems to meet all requirements? I don't see Apple compromise the "fits in any hand" size just to AVOID getting closer to a 16:9 ratio... ?

I don't mean that one has to like it... just like larger screens out there are not necessarily what people want... but I'm not sure exactly HOW an elongated screen would be a mistake or a sign of laziness or anything of that sort. It seems like a logical step to me.

There isn't really much room to cut into the bezels especially on bottom. Apple isn't gonna make one bezel thicker than the other.

GPAbsinthe

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
There isn't really much room to cut into the bezels especially on bottom. Apple isn't gonna make one bezel thicker than the other.

True, true... That was always the main problem, counting the actual shape and size of the Home button... But there's still space left. I know we're talking mm, but a couple of mm is what it takes. 3mm for each bezel and there's only about 6-7mm to add to the whole device... I don't really mind if it's more about10mm, but I feel any way for it to be a little less than that is good!

Edit : Still, to be honest, I think I prefer it to be a little more thinner, if I have to choose... 10 mm longer seems less of a problem on a slimer device. :)

Last edited:

poiman

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
True, true... That was always the main problem, counting the actual shape and size of the Home button... But there's still space left. I know we're talking mm, but a couple of mm is what it takes. 3mm for each bezel and there's only about 6-7mm to add to the whole device... I don't really mind if it's more about10mm, but I feel any way for it to be a little less than that is good!

Edit : Still, to be honest, I think I prefer it to be a little more thinner, if I have to choose... 10 mm longer seems less of a problem on a slimer device. :)

The home button should be capacitive. That would save a lot of space for a bigger screen, like this:

GPAbsinthe

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
The home button should be capacitive. That would save a lot of space for a bigger screen, like this:

Yes, capacitive would allow more space. But I don't really think Apple will go that way... Not when the Home button (and others) is such an identity problem within other manufacturers, going capacitive and coming back to mecanical, mixing both, changing position, changing shape or size... Apple will just keep it like it always was, like they never even bothered to actually look at what the competition is doing.

And again, fact is I'd take a longer device before I'd take any capacitive Home button... :)

poiman

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Yes, capacitive would allow more space. But I don't really think Apple will go that way... Not when the Home button (and others) is such an identity problem within other manufacturers, going capacitive and coming back to mecanical, mixing both, changing position, changing shape or size... Apple will just keep it like it always was, like they never even bothered to actually look at what the competition is doing.

And again, fact is I'd take a longer device before I'd take any capacitive Home button... :)

Actually the circle shape home button doesn't look good or modern anymore. Also, the identity is in the icon of the botton and that would be mantained with a capacitive button.
In conclusion, there is no need to make a bigger iPhone to have a larger screen when the current design has so much "wasted" space.

Reactions: redbeard

GPAbsinthe

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Actually the circle shape home button doesn't look good or modern anymore. Also, the identity is in the icon of the botton and that would be mantained with a capacitive button.
In conclusion, there is no need to make a bigger iPhone to have a larger screen when the current design has so much "wasted" space.

It may not look modern, but actually it does look good. It's part of the iPhone's identity. Hell, it's part of Apple's identity. BTW, that's what I meant about identity : not the icon that's defining the function, but the very design of the phone and its integration of control buttons. But on the logical side, you are right. In regard of what they could do to save space, you are right. I just don't expect it to happen with any of Apple's devices.

poiman

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
It may not look modern, but actually it does look good. It's part of the iPhone's identity. Hell, it's part of Apple's identity. BTW, that's what I meant about identity : not the icon that's defining the function, but the very design of the phone and its integration of control buttons. But on the logical side, you are right. In regard of what they could do to save space, you are right. I just don't expect it to happen with any of Apple's devices.

Ok, for me the identity is about the fact that there is only one button (doesn't matter if it's physical or capacitive, as long as its symbol / icon is mantained), but it's ok if you consider that in order to keep the identity you have to keep the physical button.
But tell me, if you are going to spend $600 or more on the next iphone do you preffer to spend them on "identity" or on "functionality"?

jfrebel

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
The only reason I've heard for apples insisting on a puny screen is for ease of use by one hand. granted the phablets are hard to use one handed, but increasing the width by half an inch would still be easy to use one handed, but also easier to read.

I wonder if apple themselves has given a reason for their tiny screens.

I often wonder if Scott Forstall and his team all have 20/20 perfect vision, and don't realize how hard their phones are to read.

I am absolutely in love with iOS, and find android confusing. I will be as happy as a kid on christmas morning if apple breaks out a big screened phone in september, and surprises us all.

I'd they just make it wider, I'll probably still get it, and just have to keep carrying around my magnifying glass with my phone.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice