iPhone 5 Notification LED

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
lately my apporach has has changed condsiderably from what it was before. most of my notifications are sound > OFF and show on lockscreen. i also have a few that are setup as Badge ONLY
Same here and my notification status is based partly on the app itself. For instance, although I'm a somewhat heavy Twitter user, the only notifications I have it set for are DMs and specific tweets. My sms notifications are as-is because the only people who have my number are the people I consider important to me so I will read every message received, but not necessarily at the time I receive them.

i do this because i will check my phone when I feel like it, not when i receive notification. if i happen to be using my device while a notif is received, great. if i am engaged in a text message or any other messaging situation i will, or try to, pay attention (this is why i feel that access to the Notification Center while in LS would be great!)
Same here as stated above.

i will be one that turns off the LED light IF that time comes.
I don't have a problem with that at all. As I've stated on numerous occasions, it's your device and you can do whatever you want with it...;)
i was a slave to the LED light when i was with blackberry for a couple of years, no plans on doing that all over again
Again, that is your decision and there is nothing wrong with it. For others, however, it's not about being a slave to the blinking light, but more about the manner in which he or she prefers to be notified. Just because the light is blinking doesn't mean an immediate response is warranted. Personally, whether it's a blinking LED or not, I will still respond in the same manner as I always do and many others feel the same way. Again, it's just a matter of preference and nothing more. :)

ruger141

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
I definitely would like to see one added. It could also be hidden behind the Speaker Grill if needed which would look pretty sweet when it lit up. I have a bumper on my phone that makes plugging the charger in kind of tricky. I've plugged it in, had it charging and then came back later to find it wasn't any more. An LED that lit up for this would be a great addition imo.

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm in favor of an LED notification light, with an on/off switch. What i really want to see...is this thread going on until 2014, when the iPhone7 will be coming out.:p

END

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
I did not read this thread, just clicked over from front page where I put my comment as well, and I am sure I will be repeating someone but..................

Yes!!

Ideas for how to implement-
Simple LED notification light
Make ring around home button glow.
Apple logo glow.

In addition, would like different colours for different events.

:)

csal80

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I have wanted this ever since I transitioned from the palm pre and lost the notification light on the front of the device. Apple could do this quite easily, and in a very slick fashion. All they need to do is make the outline of the home button translucent with the ability to glow and pulse. It would be fantastic if you could customize the glowing colors based on what type of alert that comes through. I saw a mock up of a future iphone the other day that in place of the apple logo on the back, glowing indicators would light up and even show the facebook, email, etc. logo based on the alert. Now how bad ass would that be in place of the ugly home button on the front?

Sparro

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
Yes. I am glad to see that a poll was put for this. So far, I would say most users would like the LED. I want the light, some might not. But what is wrong with having a non-noticable LED beside the camera. If you are a user that wants the blinking light, turn it on, if you prefer not to have it, leave it off. We should have that choice... that's all. You can barley see the LED on my iMac to the right of the camera. Heck, the light sensor to the left of the camera is more noticeable.
I post on CrackBerry and have both a BlackBerry 9860 and an iPhone 4. I even had an Android in the form of the Motorola Atrix for six months, which also had a notification LED. For me, the blinking LED is the single most important feature I would like to see in the future iPhone.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I sure hope not... I don't that ugly blinking light on my iPhone. Ever.

No garbage notification light.....thanks.

oh lawd help me no

If one wants a blinky light on their phone they should get a Blakberry. iPhone's are perfectly fine without them.

:)I'm with all you guys on this one! NO NO NO LED!!!

when i had my bb, i had fun with bebuzz for a while and then got sooooo sick of it i shut it OFF!

ght

May 29, 2012
Visit site
The next iPhone is not here yet - no one know definitively what it has or won't have.... I'm mostly peeved at those in the crowd that have the iPhone as it currently exists and whine about what it does not have. Before the iPhone4 - I had the BB8830, Curve, and Tour... the LED notification did nothing for me but blink... Frankly, if the next iPhone comes with one, there better dang well be a way to turn the friggin thing off.

But if it does come with one and it can't be turned off, no whining about it...

ght

May 29, 2012
Visit site
I get a kick out of the iOS forums. The discussions are so different here vs webOS or WindowsPhone. It seems some folks here have so bought into the "Apple knows what's best for me, and I will not question that" brainwashing that they can't even imagine wanting more options than what Apple gives them. It seems so crazy to me. What could possibly be the harm in an LED notification light that could be enabled/disabled per user preference? What's wrong with giving users options?

And what's wrong with wanting a Ford that has OnStar? If that's the combo that makes someone satisfied, so be it. What if no one had ever put rum in Coca-Cola? What if no one had ever put bacon on a cheeseburger?

I am a former webOS user (loved it) and a former Windows Phone user (meh), and I've dabbled in Android on my TouchPad (hell no), and I am impressed by how powerful a jailbroken iPhone is. It has surpassed my expectations a thousand-fold. If Apple chose to support jailbreaking (or at least stop trying to prevent it), Android would lose much of its steam. Android users choose Android because they want choice. Some iPhone users chose iOS because they don't want choice, apparently. Both are OK. It would be nice if iOS had a switch to choose between Stock, Custom, and Open. Then each individual could choose how much they wanted to tweak their preferences. Mom's first iPhone? Stock, please. Not new to iPhone and looking for a little more customization? Choose Custom. Former Android/webOS user? Open, for sure.

It is not that difficult to make more people happier. This doesn't have to be the crusades. No need for a holy war because someone wants something different than you do. "You don't like your iPhone just the way I like mine? GET OFF MY PLANET! I banish thee to Android!"

As much as I like my iPhone, I'm actually embarrassed to admit I own one because I don't want to be perceived as "one of those brainwashed Apple-Borg". Just admit that individuals have individual preferences. (I know not all iOS users are this way, but a lot are.)

Wow. That got long. Sorry.

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes. I am glad to see that a poll was put for this. So far, I would say most users would like the LED. ..(snipped)...
Correction: Out of the people who voted via the poll, the majority, thus far, prefer an L.E.D...;)

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I get a kick out of the iOS forums. The discussions are so different here vs webOS or WindowsPhone. It seems some folks here have so bought into the "Apple knows what's best for me, and I will not question that" brainwashing that they can't even imagine wanting more options than what Apple gives them. It seems so crazy to me. What could possibly be the harm in an LED notification light that could be enabled/disabled per user preference? What's wrong with giving users options?

How did the discussion about whether or not the iPhone has a LED become "Apple knows what's best for me"? A bit of a quantum leap, isn't it?

And what's wrong with wanting a Ford that has OnStar? If that's the combo that makes someone satisfied, so be it. What if no one had ever put rum in Coca-Cola? What if no one had ever put bacon on a cheeseburger?

You can put OnStar functionality on a Ford with an aftermarket product. Similarly, there is at least one aftermarket iPhone case that provides the LED functionality.

I am a former webOS user (loved it) and a former Windows Phone user (meh), and I've dabbled in Android on my TouchPad (hell no), and I am impressed by how powerful a jailbroken iPhone is. It has surpassed my expectations a thousand-fold. If Apple chose to support jailbreaking (or at least stop trying to prevent it), Android would lose much of its steam. Android users choose Android because they want choice.

Apple's effort to stop Jailbreaking? It's more like Apple working to close security holes to make the device more secure. It just happens to be a fact that the jailbreak process HAS TO take advantage of a hole in the software in order to install the codes/substrate/hooks to allow full blown jailbreak. But the whole jailbreak discussion would take this thread way off topic.

Some iPhone users chose iOS because they don't want choice, apparently. Both are OK. It would be nice if iOS had a switch to choose between Stock, Custom, and Open. Then each individual could choose how much they wanted to tweak their preferences. Mom's first iPhone? Stock, please. Not new to iPhone and looking for a little more customization? Choose Custom. Former Android/webOS user? Open, for sure.

That's never going to happen with any phone. All you get it what they want you to have. You want more than that? You have to find a way (enter jailbreaking and rooting). Like Henry Ford said, you can have it in any color, as look as you choose black.

It is not that difficult to make more people happier. This doesn't have to be the crusades. No need for a holy war because someone wants something different than you do. "You don't like your iPhone just the way I like mine? GET OFF MY PLANET! I banish thee to Android!"

As much as I like my iPhone, I'm actually embarrassed to admit I own one because I don't want to be perceived as "one of those brainwashed Apple-Borg". Just admit that individuals have individual preferences. (I know not all iOS users are this way, but a lot are.)

Just because we accept things as Apple (or whatever manufacturer) makes them doesn't make us "borgs"... it just goes back to "it just works".

Like with anything in life, you get choices. And you get to vote with your wallet.

Wow. That got long. Sorry.

Palm-a-PREciation

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
I'd love the notification light. My old Palm Pre had one, and it was great!! There are so many times that I have my phone in another room, and don't hear it ring, so I have no idea someone called without turning on my phone, which when I'm home, I don't just randomly turn on my phone throughout the day to check, but seeing a blinking light alerts me to the fact that there's a voice mail or text or that I missed a call, and it's really helpful. I downloaded an app to do that on my Android phone, which works all right, but it does drain my battery if I don't see it right away.

ght

May 29, 2012
Visit site
How did the discussion about whether or not the iPhone has a LED become "Apple knows what's best for me"? A bit of a quantum leap, isn't it?

The thoughts struck me, so I wrote them down. I'm very new to iOS and iMore, so I just blurted out my thoughts on the current thread. It wasn't really going anywhere, anyway, as so many have pointed out.

You can put OnStar functionality on a Ford with an aftermarket product. Similarly, there is at least one aftermarket iPhone case that provides the LED functionality.

This comment was based of someone else's earlier comment that "if you like OnStar, you don't like Ford", or something along those lines. My point was only that choice is a good thing. You can like Ford AND OnStar, and you're not a horrible person for doing so.

Apple's effort to stop Jailbreaking? It's more like Apple working to close security holes to make the device more secure. It just happens to be a fact that the jailbreak process HAS TO take advantage of a hole in the software in order to install the codes/substrate/hooks to allow full blown jailbreak. But the whole jailbreak discussion would take this thread way off topic.

Agreed. It's been discussed elsewhere.

That's never going to happen with any phone. All you get it what they want you to have. You want more than that? You have to find a way (enter jailbreaking and rooting). Like Henry Ford said, you can have it in any color, as look as you choose black.

Palm did it with webOS. Enter the Konami code, and you had developer unlock. Palm supported homebrew apps/patching. It was great to have the freedom to customize my phone just they way I wanted it. If you didn't want to open yourself up to the sometimes unstable world of patching and homebrew, then you didn't have to dev unlock. It's easy to give people that choice.

Just because we accept things as Apple (or whatever manufacturer) makes them doesn't make us "borgs"... it just goes back to "it just works".

But, it doesn't work for everybody, and it could work better. My Cydia apps and tweaks make my iPhone work better for ME. Without it, there are many things that don't "just work". Like removing Newsstand - it does not work. Downloading a large app on 3G? That does not work. (It's my data plan, WTF does Apple care how I download it?)

I do appreciate the stability of iOS, but I have noticed no degrading of that stability post-jailbreak. I have realized the full potential of my iPhone, however. As nice as iOS, it could be so much more. I think Apple could crush the last breath out of its competition if it decided to lend a hand to the jailbreak community.

Like with anything in life, you get choices. And you get to vote with your wallet.

I did vote with my wallet (webOS), but that horse is out of the race. Now, I'm stuck choosing the next best thing, and a jailbroken iPhone is pretty darn close.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro