iPhone 5 Notification LED

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
But on the flip side of that coin, what about those people who prefer not to have the cosmetic layout of the iPhone interrupted by a protruding LED on the body of the phone...should their preference be shoved to the side in the idea that some people might want an LED?
Of course not, but I don't see how having the option with an ability to disable it is not a compromise on both ends. As for its cosmetic layout, I agree, but if Apple can hide the front facing camera and sensor then they should be able to do so with a notification LED.

The best approach to this would be hiding it under the glass panel...do that and anyone that would complain about it are going to complain regardless. Like i said, personally, i don't care if the thing has an LED, but i probably wouldn't use it.
Exactly! and well stated, my friend. ;)

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I find it funny that some ancillary notification component is drawing the ire of so many fan boys. As if a 1/2 cm cut out will completely ruin the look of a black slab. While I can understand your average soccer mom wont need it - but for people using their phones for business - why wouldnt you want it?

It always does...year after year. This same, mirrored thread happened last year with nearly identical responses.

As far as necessity goes...i'll never personally have a need for it on that level, i never did with any of the BB phones ive owned over the last decade. Now that doesn't mean my needs mirror anyone else, and i certainly wouldn't mind a nice, concealed LED notification light for those who would find use for it (even if i have none)...my argument was never on that end of the stick, i was simply making an argument before about the necessity of such a feature on a phone that stays within our visual cue so much more than phones did when the LED notification became such a big hit (primarily with BB devices).

We look at our phones more, they are more solidly intertwined into our daily routines than they were before, and that is the main reason i personally don't see the need for one. Many people also fear the idea of a BB like plastic, protruding LED on the front panel of the iPhone, and from a cosmetic stand point, if that were the route Apple decided to take, i can totally understand that argument...but given the ability to mount pretty much everything under the glass panels, i highly doubt that would ever be the case (thus making that argument a big moot).

Last edited:

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Of course not, but I don't see how having the option with an ability to disable it is not a compromise on both ends. As for its cosmetic layout, I agree, but if Apple can hide the front facing camera and sensor then they should be able to do so with a notification LED.

Hiding the LED, as with the proximity sensor and the front facing camera is easier on a black iPhone (though the camera is clearly still visible) ... but it's much more difficult to do on the white version.

iphone-4-white2.jpg

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Hiding the LED, as with the proximity sensor and the front facing camera is easier on a black iPhone (though the camera is clearly still visible) ... but it's much more difficult to do on the white version.

Click to view quoted image

I see your point, but could Apple not put a similar dark dot on the right side of the ear speaker for the notification LED? Doing so could arguably balance its aesthetics.

ccostel

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
The indicator could easily go where the headphone jack was before it got moved. That way it could be seen while in a holster and never need removed to be visible.
Yes, I agree that there should be a way to turn it off and maybe even customize the events it blinks for.

Sharma15

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
If the home button lit up There would be no need to relocate, readjust anything else. You non believers would be satisfied with the slab and us believers would be satisfied with the light. Personally, id like it if the led was on the top right corner, but then no one would buy it because it's not symmetrical...

scaled.php

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Bottom line is this folks, I wouldn't mind having the notification LED and other would mind, but at the end of the day it doesn't matter what WE want as with everything else having to do with the iPhone, Apple is going to do what THEY want with it..... This thread is going to end just as last years 5+ threads did on the LED topic, with the iPhone not getting a LED anyway.....

Vanti

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
It's just a matter of preference. That's all. Some want the LED notification light, some don't. Personally, I prefer it as long as there is an option to disable it.

Just Me, D
(iPhone)

Oh its just that some people seem so adamant on their choice and as to why they dont want it which confuses me.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Oh its just that some people seem so adamant on their choice and as to why they dont want it which confuses me.

I understand and yes, some people are very adamant about their feelings for or against it and I don't have a problem with that. I mean, that's how it is with techy types and in tech-related forums. It goes with the territory, so to speak.

Last edited:

mtavenger55

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
If one wants a blinky light on their phone they should get a Blakberry. iPhone's are perfectly fine without them.

Agreed. When I had my Blackberrys before the iPhone came to Verizon at first I liked seeing the notification light going off each time I got a text or notification but if you're busy & forgot about it the light just got annoying after awhile.

JE5TERHEAD

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Agreed. When I had my Blackberrys before the iPhone came to Verizon at first I liked seeing the notification light going off each time I got a text or notification but if you're busy & forgot about it the light just got annoying after awhile.

I would love a notification light, if u didnt like the light flip it over BAM its gone !! ... but nah serisouly this is dumb go look at the galaxy nexus i never even knew it had one and its right at the bottom of phone. i dont like to touch my phone much and when i get an email an update for a app or what ever i dont want to have to turn my damn phone on to find out its something i dont give a crap about. now if it can be enabled for just text message or just email or both etc it would be a win.

and to that other guy u know blackberry had an option u could turn off the blinking light retard

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
and to that other guy u know blackberry had an option u could turn off the blinking light retard

Is the name calling necessary? I have a nephew who is mentally handicapped and I find that word quite offensive. Grow up and try communicating without insults and slurs. Thank you.

Vanti

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
I understand and yes, some people are very adamant about their feelings for or against it and I don't have a problem with that. I mean, that's how it is with techy types and in tech-related forums. It goes with the territory, so to speak.

I consider myself a tech oriented person an i dont have anywhere near the zeal that some people have in terms of their opinions. It's almost as if they know exactly what they want how they want it and when they want it. Im more of a minor adjustment here and their with products type of guy...

Roo Zilla

Dec 17, 2008
Visit site
I don't like, or need the LED, but I understand there are some people who feel they absolutely have to have it. There are some who stick with Blackberry for that one reason, they like the blinky light.

tibbi64

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
That's one thing I liked when I had my blackberry. I could change the color of the led to different contacts. It was a pay app, but cool. :) I also miss profiles with ringtones and contacts. But that is all Blaxkberry is dead to me.

htabbach

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
The iPhone should come with that feature with a way to turn it off so whiners on this site can just turn it off and shut the heck up!

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
A notification is a way of notifying the user of something, whether it is email, sms, iMessage or whatever. Right? Being that there are various types of users, it is inevitable that their preferred method of being notified will also differ. Some users prefer to be notified audibly whereas others prefer vibration alerts or visual alerts. Apple has done a good job in trying to cater to our differences, however, more and more people are flocking to the iPhone, many of which are migrating from the Blackberry platform, and a great deal of them will want Apple to cater to their needs just like the rest of us and there is nothing wrong with that. Blackberry users tend to be corporate/office types and being discreet is big, especially in meetings, and the blinking LED serves to be audibly discreet but also noticeable without having the user touch his or her device. Will everyone agree with that? Of course not, but many will. Does that mean that Apple should incorporate a blinking LED? Of course not, but it wouldn't hurt. Is it possible that Apple could finish off Blackberry by installing a blinking LED? It is possible. Anyway, that was my two cents...Hahaha..:)

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
lately my apporach has has changed condsiderably from what it was before. most of my notifications are sound > OFF and show on lockscreen. i also have a few that are setup as Badge ONLY

i do this because i will check my phone when I feel like it, not when i receive notification. if i happen to be using my device while a notif is received, great. if i am engaged in a text message or any other messaging situation i will, or try to, pay attention (this is why i feel that access to the Notification Center while in LS would be great!)

i will be one that turns off the LED light IF that time comes. i was a slave to the LED light when i was with blackberry for a couple of years, no plans on doing that all over again

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR