Storage Increase for iPhone 5?

Bartoge

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Now I don't think this is that likely, but what if with the new iPhone, storage capacities are increased. Instead of a 16, 32, and 64 GB versions, they would have 32, 64, and 128 GB versions, without a price increase of course. Here is my reasoning. Data sizes are getting bigger. Apps now have retina graphics, and HD video takes up a huge amount of space. The iPhone camera has gotten better, but with better cameras come bigger photo/video files. With an iPad mini supposedly coming, universal app files are only going to get bigger. Many games can take more than 1 GB of space, with many games I find taking at least several hundred MB. On an iPhone, 16 GB will only last you maybe 1000 songs, 1 HD movie, and maybe 10 apps (3ish being large games).

My point is that the current model for storage seems to be a hindrance for Apple. They want their products to be simple, but I don't think that a non techy customer would be happy if he gets his iPhone, syncs his music and movies, and buys a couple games to find out his storage is already full, especially when he bought his phone on a 2 year contract. And then there is the enticing people to upgrade their phones. Say a person has a 16 gig iPhone 4 and is running out of space, well now that person can pay the same as he did for his iPhone 4 but can get double the space.

I mean, I'm sure their profit margins could manage a storage increase, especially in the iPhone. But what do yall think? Is this actually a possible idea, or does the majority of non techy iPhone users just not download large apps or buy HD movies?

Reactions: DaPhoneking

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I can't see apple increasing storage without their customary huge price increase. Maybe since some manufacturers increased storage with only a $50 increase(sgs) apple would do the same. Doubt it though because then they wouldn't make the huge amount they do per phone. Plus with how well the 16 and 32gb models are selling I cannot see them moving away from them at least not yet. They are always the first ones to sell out and most people are fine with 16/32gb for a phone.

Last edited:

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I don't think Apple was being unusually friendly when they ditched the 8GB model of the iPhone but kept the price the same...i think they realized that the phone was going to have quite a bit more storage eaten up and they didn't want their entry model looking like it had tiny storage.

The 16GB model is like their bread and butter...it's always the one that sells out the fastest and its obviously the cheapest so it goes into more hands. That storage level is pretty much the magic number...it's enough to keep the base line storage level in the double digits after the native stuff is applied, it gives room for the iPod to be a legitimate music storage device while allowing the phone to be used for all the apps that are so popular.

Many people don't use up the 16GB of storage on the phone...but i'd hazard to say that most people who had 8GB models were probably finding themselves sacrificing certain things to make sure their stuff would fit on their iPhone the way they wanted...not to mention the introduction of the large HDR photos and 1080p videos.

All in all, i dont think the 16GB model is going anywhere for a while.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Considering Apple didn't increase the memory with the New iPad I doubt they'll do it with the New iPhone either. I think 64GB is going to be the max for a while yet.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
To give an idea of a heavy use camera when it comes to storage...my work phone is used for investigative photos (that have time stamps), and many times, those photos have to stay put for months. Right now there are 768 photos and about 40 videos in storage (32GB iPhone), many of them dupes from HDR pics. I've got 10GB of music on it, like 5GB of apps on it, tons of emails, texts, etc etc etc...and i still have like 6GB of storage left.

In all honesty, if you fill up 64GB of storage on your iPhone, you're trying to fill it up...

DaPhoneking

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I was just thinking about this here a min ago. I sincerely hope so, especially since theyre doing away with the iPod classic (I think). Having said that, I would definitely would be surprised if Apple gotten rid of the 16GB version and did 32, 64, & 128GB, respectively. Bartoge does make a very valid point on this but I don't think it will happen either, unfortunately.

DaPhoneking

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Considering Apple didn't increase the memory with the New iPad I doubt they'll do it with the New iPhone either. I think 64GB is going to be the max for a while yet.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.

Maybe we'll get lucky with the iPad 4 (or the new NEW iPad, sarcastically speaking lol), and increase it to 128GB on the high end.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I never understood the people who have 5+gb of music on their phone. You don't listen to all of that especially not all the time so why have that much music that for most will never be used?

DaPhoneking

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I never understood the people who have 5+gb of music on their phone. You don't listen to all of that especially not all the time so why have that much music that for most will never be used?

For me one I like a plethora of music and can change genres, depending on my mood, and second, my "collection" includes music I've downloaded in the past 12 or so years.......

Bartoge

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Maybe we'll get lucky with the iPad 4 (or the new NEW iPad, sarcastically speaking lol), and increase it to 128GB on the high end.

I think the iPad has the best chance of getting a storage bump, because it fits with it intended use better than the iPhone (watching tv shows, movies, playing big games etc). Even though the iPhone has the better profit margin to go with it.

I personally, had to delete about 4 GB of music from my iPad because I was running out of storage. It still left me with about 8 GB if music, but really it's like dapheonix said, having enough music to match moods and such. It all about having options, because frankly, I get sudden urges to listen to something that I haven't even touched in like 2 months. It's nice to be able to just go and listen to it when that happens, but music is different for everyone, so other people may only need a gig of music. I know all of my friends have little to no music libraries.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I agree .. But I doubt it .. My 4s does ok with 16 but I have like 1 movie my music and pics .. If I shoot video I just transfer it to my 64 gig iPad then delete .. And I don't have big games except on iPad .. Im debating a 32 the time lol

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

I listen to maybe 25% of it...i just dump it on there so i dont have to worry about it one day if im driving down the road and have a wild hair to listen to something obscure, lol.

nite732

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
With a lot of things going to the cloud and streaming. Storage is becoming not much of a big thing. That's why everyone is pushing cloud storage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Vanti

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
There are actually people who put movies on there phones? I thought that was just an urban myth or that people did that for children on road trips. Although I would love to see apple bump up the storage capacity I don't believe they will anytime soon. 32gb should more than suffice for the average person allowing you to fill up on music apps and pictures although not necessarily videos. If you need more than 5000 songs and 10,000 pictures and videos then you need to re evaluate what your phone is for because 1. you cannot possibly listen to all that music and chances are you just listen to maybe a few over and over again 2. Same thing with pictures you don't scroll through them regularly so just put them on you computer finally 3. It's a phone not a computer. ( at least not yet )

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
There are actually people who put movies on there phones? I thought that was just an urban myth or that people did that for children on road trips.. ( at least not yet )

Yes, one of my husbands friends has the Evo and he puts movies on it all the time. I wouldn't put a movie on my iPhone, but I probably would on my iPad due to the larger screen.

Sent from my iPad LTE using Tapatalk HD.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Personally I would really like a 128GB iPhone, I could have all of my music, apps and lots of storage for pictures etc. Given the GS3 has a 64GB version and they can add a 64GB microSDHC card one has to wonder IF we will see that level of storage on an iPhone.

Alex_Hong

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I honestly don't see a need for 128gb. I feel there will be more push for cloud storage. My old MacBook Pro only has a 120gb hdd. My first gen MBA even less. Still got plenty of space left. What i don't always need, i store it on a external hdd. What i think i might need, i store it on a cloud storage.

Which is pretty much the same reasoning on local storage on iphone. I only store what i need on the phone. I think 128gb will drive the cost of the iphone up too much as well.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I've always thought those who buy the 64gb version should get more storage in icloud for free. More to backup..

GPAbsinthe

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
There are actually people who put movies on there phones? I thought that was just an urban myth or that people did that for children on road trips. Although I would love to see apple bump up the storage capacity I don't believe they will anytime soon. (...) If you need more than 5000 songs and 10,000 pictures and videos then you need to re evaluate what your phone is for because 1. you cannot possibly listen to all that music and chances are you just listen to maybe a few over and over again 2. Same thing with pictures you don't scroll through them regularly so just put them on you computer finally 3. It's a phone not a computer. ( at least not yet )

I kindly disagree. We DO use them as pocket computers - or portable media devices, or camera, whatever you want, but the "phone" part comes second at best in most cases. We can't judge on how anybody uses such a capable device as a good smartphone, and that use may very well go along with heavy storage of music and pics/movies and games, because that's what they can be used for just as much as anything else. You put a media player on there, you have to expect there's going to be more and more media storage. You offer a Retina screen and HD content compatibility, you have to expect people are going to pack more and more heavy, HD content. When 5% of users complain about lacking storage, you may still pass it under silence, but when one user out of three demands it, you have to realize this is where you're heading, this is precisely the market you created. Still, with a 64GB device available out there and iCloud service as well, and with 16GB becoming the standard, I think that need has been fulfilled for now - but maybe not for long. I think most people out there are more willing to pay for a built-in storage increase than for the possibility of using a storage service. They don't want to have to manage content, what to sync and what to push to the Cloud. They just want to sync everything they have without compromise, without even thinking about it. And what consumers want is where you gotta go. Samsung nailed this down in the last couple of years... Apple may not offer as much, but they do offer enough, and play the market on another level entirely. Apple is evolving in a very logical and harmonious way, they don't like to pack features they think might not be as useful as others may be. Right now my guess is that logic says 64GB is quite sufficient storage for heavy use, just as much as that harmonious balance says that offering anything over 16GB for their entry level smartphone is exagerated.

I can't see apple increasing storage without their customary huge price increase. Maybe since some manufacturers increased storage with only a $50 increase(sgs) apple would do the same. Doubt it though because then they wouldn't make the huge amount they do per phone. Plus with how well the 16 and 32gb models are selling I cannot see them moving away from them at least not yet. They are always the first ones to sell out and most people are fine with 16/32gb for a phone.

I don't think we can logically compare iPhone and GSIII in that aspect, because the GSIII offers expandable storage. As you can get a 64GB micro SD for less than 100$, Samsung could not really ask a 100$ more for only a 16GB increase and expect to sell many 32GB units. At only 50$ more, on the other hand, Samsung knows many people will just save the trouble of buying and using a SD card, considering the 32GB itself is enough offering for the average user wanting some extra room. 50$ becomes the magical number for Samsung in this case, it keeps the extra profit for themselves as much as possible, but it also twarts that other popular smartphone :D both in price and offer, for the satisfaction of a growing number of heavy users. What I mean in the end is that Samsung devalues the storage increase price of its GSIII by offering for both versions a 64GB SD card compatibility that would cost about 100$ to get. Apple, on the other hand, can afford to bank solely on it to justify a marginal price increase, as the user doesn't have any other alternative. Yet when they increased the basic 8GB to 16GB and doubled the rest accordingly, they kept the same prices, so in the end I don't have any problem with their method.

Although I think another bump in memory size is to come for the iPhone, I don't think we'll see it this fall. I think that for this release they'll have focused on battery life vs. LTE and perhaps bigger screen, and on polishing their iOS to ensure the transition takes on seamlessly with all the new integrations and features. On the other hand, when it does come, I'm not so sure as to what will happen. Like many stated here I'm not sure they'll drop the 16GB soon. 128GB seems exagerated, that's something I'd keep for the iPad. I thought at one point that Apple may drop the "x 2 rule" to adopt eventually a "+ 32 rule" : 32 - 64 - 96. I think a +32GB rule would also allow for a more gradual and logical increase, should it become necessary to go beyond 96GB. I gathered some numbers to show what 85GB of usable storage could mean : 15-20 hours of downloaded HD content + 7500 songs + 3000 HD pics at 8mp + 10-15GB left for apps and games and stuff... This is some heavy use... yet it is not impossible that such storage could already be required, in any variation, by a fair 5-10% of users right now.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox