Storage Increase for iPhone 5?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
All of the tech companies are trying to phase out internal storage mediums vs. cloud storage (when it comes to mass quantities)...they can charge for cloud storage, it creates a "safety net" of sorts for the things people many times lose during drive failures...and ultimately, it allows them to do away with bulky storage units within their products.

I can't see there ever being a larger iPhone than the 64GB model honestly...

DaPhoneking

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
All of the tech companies are trying to phase out internal storage mediums vs. cloud storage (when it comes to mass quantities)...they can charge for cloud storage, it creates a "safety net" of sorts for the things people many times lose during drive failures...and ultimately, it allows them to do away with bulky storage units within their products.

I can't see there ever being a larger iPhone than the 64GB model honestly...

I sincerely hope Apple doesnt follow this route. I like my personal storage on my device thankyouverymuch. ;) The cloud should only be for backup purposes only.

Vanti

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
I kindly disagree. We DO use them as pocket computers - or portable media devices, or camera, whatever you want, but the "phone" part comes second at best in most cases. We can't judge on how anybody uses such a capable device as a good smartphone, and that use may very well go along with heavy storage of music and pics/movies and games, because that's what they can be used for just as much as anything else. You put a media player on there, you have to expect there's going to be more and more media storage. You offer a Retina screen and HD content compatibility, you have to expect people are going to pack more and more heavy, HD content. When 5% of users complain about lacking storage, you may still pass it under silence, but when one user out of three demands it, you have to realize this is where you're heading, this is precisely the market you created. Still, with a 64GB device available out there and iCloud service as well, and with 16GB becoming the standard, I think that need has been fulfilled for now - but maybe not for long. I think most people out there are more willing to pay for a built-in storage increase than for the possibility of using a storage service. They don't want to have to manage content, what to sync and what to push to the Cloud. They just want to sync everything they have without compromise, without even thinking about it. And what consumers want is where you gotta go. Samsung nailed this down in the last couple of years... Apple may not offer as much, but they do offer enough, and play the market on another level entirely. Apple is evolving in a very logical and harmonious way, they don't like to pack features they think might not be as useful as others may be. Right now my guess is that logic says 64GB is quite sufficient storage for heavy use, just as much as that harmonious balance says that offering anything over 16GB for their entry level smartphone is exagerated.

I did not finish reading this comment but it seems that you may be over analyzing what ever it was i said in my comment. Also i would like to encourage you to summarize or at least condense if possible .

mtavenger55

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I would love a 128GB iPhone! 16GBs is just too low for me, I download a bunch of apps & take a lot of photos which obviously takes up a lot of space. I've had my iPhone 4 since last June & I had to clean up what I don't use on my iPhone just to keep me over 4GBs. When the next iPhone comes out I'll definitely go all in & buy the highest GB model.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I know that, but I'm just saying that I hope they don't get rid of built-in flash memory, and have to base everything in the cloud.

I doubt they'd ever remove all internal storage, some people are simply too paranoid to use cloud based storage (in fear of access from others, like what happened earlier this year). At least not in the foreseeable future anyways.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I would love a 128GB iPhone! 16GBs is just too low for me, I download a bunch of apps & take a lot of photos which obviously takes up a lot of space. I've had my iPhone 4 since last June & I had to clean up what I don't use on my iPhone just to keep me over 4GBs. When the next iPhone comes out I'll definitely go all in & buy the highest GB model.

128GB isn't gonna happen with the iPhone, I'm will to bet on that. Get ready to purchase the 64GB model as that is the highest that an iPhone is going to have. ;)

GPAbsinthe

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I did not finish reading this comment but it seems that you may be over analyzing what ever it was i said in my comment. Also i would like to encourage you to summarize or at least condense if possible .

Let me see if I get that straight... "You did NOT finish... but it SEEMS to you... WHATEVER it was YOU said in YOUR comment"... Okay I myself stopped right there, I figured you could only have it right...

Fatboy71

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
I honestly don't see a need for 128gb. I feel there will be more push for cloud storage. My old MacBook Pro only has a 120gb hdd. My first gen MBA even less. Still got plenty of space left. What i don't always need, i store it on a external hdd. What i think i might need, i store it on a cloud storage.

Which is pretty much the same reasoning on local storage on iphone. I only store what i need on the phone. I think 128gb will drive the cost of the iphone up too much as well.
People are saying about Cloud storage, but Cloud storage relies on having an internet connection, and with most of us having a limited amount of cellular data, this could then mean that we would run out of data if we were outside of a wifi area, especially if we were accessing Cloud storage frequently.

Reactions: DaPhoneking

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
People are saying about Cloud storage, but Cloud storage relies on having an internet connection, and with most of us having a limited amount of cellular data, this could then mean that we would run out of data if we were outside of a wifi area, especially if we were accessing Cloud storage frequently.

Using the "limited data" excuse is going to become an irrelevant point eventually...just like when people complained about a phone's abilities over WiFi vs. cellular networks when smart phones were in their early years. Technology progresses, people are expected to keep up (and for the most part do), but there will always be some that have excuses why this wont be good or that wont be good, but the thing is, consumer products don't follow those people when it comes to feature development (thankfully)...if that were the case, we'd be using phones that could only go online over WiFi networks and only make calls and simple SMS text's over cellular.

Fatboy71

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Using the "limited data" excuse is going to become an irrelevant point eventually...just like when people complained about a phone's abilities over WiFi vs. cellular networks when smart phones were in their early years. Technology progresses, people are expected to keep up (and for the most part do), but there will always be some that have excuses why this wont be good or that wont be good, but the thing is, consumer products don't follow those people when it comes to feature development (thankfully)...if that were the case, we'd be using phones that could only go online over WiFi networks and only make calls and simple SMS text's over cellular.

Yeah, but in the UK at least we have data limits on smartphone tariffs, so it isn't going to be irrelevant just yet. But my argument re needing to have a Internet connection whether cellular or wifi is still going to be an issue, even when and if we have unlimited data tariffs. Cloud storage has its uses (I use iCloud myself and find it useful for keeping my contacts, photos, on both my iPhone and iPad in sync) but whichever way I look at it, I find that the best storage is having it physically on the device itself, for the reasons I've mentioned.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaPhoneking

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Sadly 64GB will be it for now, maybe in 2 years when Apple figures out people are tired of paying the high data plans to stream their audio they will give us 128GB versions. Personally I say dump the HDD iPods and bump up the nano, and iPod Touch and iPhone storage that is what users really want.

Sharma15

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Sadly 64GB will be it for now, maybe in 2 years when Apple figures out people are tired of paying the high data plans to stream their audio they will give us 128GB versions. Personally I say dump the HDD iPods and bump up the nano, and iPod Touch and iPhone storage that is what users really want.

Assuming that the higher storage will likely cost more, I'd rather pay for a bigger battery than more storage. 126gb??? Seriously? That's insane and not what the mainstream market needs. 32 gb is more than enough for the average consumer and many people don't use their iPhones as an MP3 player soo il stick to my statement. If we're going to pay more for something, wouldn't you want something new instead of more of the same?

Bartoge

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Assuming that the higher storage will likely cost more, I'd rather pay for a bigger battery than more storage. 126gb??? Seriously? That's insane and not what the mainstream market needs. 32 gb is more than enough for the average consumer and many people don't use their iPhones as an MP3 player soo il stick to my statement. If we're going to pay more for something, wouldn't you want something new instead of more of the same?

What people are saying is not to increase price points for the iPhone with bigger storage but rather increase the storage on the iPhones current price points, meaning you pay the same but get more storage. As for the battery, you wouldnt pay more for a bigger battery. It's not like apple consciously makes the batter worse than it could be. Having a bigger battery means having a bigger device which means having a different device. You wouldn't pay more to get a longer lasting iPhone battery.

Now that I think about it, I think increasing the storage makes more sense for an iPad update, seeing as it is touted as a media consumption device, where you. Cn watch tv, movies, listen to music, and such. Larger storage makes more sense to me for that device.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
What do people put on their phones that 64gb isn't enough? And don't day music because anything over 5gb you never listen to it all anyway.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site

If you think the carriers will reduce prices or increase your monthly GB data allowance then you are sadly mistaken. Carriers have made it clear they see data as the new cash cow and newer smartphones are pushing users to do more like streaming which is costly.

Plus iTunes Match needs to have the ability to stream and not d/l only then maybe on WiFi it would be worth something but I want to use it in my car or when I am out and about.