OFFICIAL: I'm Disappointed in the iPhone 5 Rumored Photos [ARE YOU???]

Status
Not open for further replies.

osensnolf

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
I'm not an Apple fanboy and do not own any Android devices, but after owning the iPhone 3GS, 4, and 4S, I'm tired of looking at the same front design.

Are you??

Sure, the resolution has got better, but putting glass on the back of the phone caused many of us to use cases. The result... the same looking phone for the past 3-4 years.

Like many others, I do not want to use a new OS, re-buy my apps, or give up on the iPhone, but the leaked photos I have seen are not impressive.

On top of that, today we saw photos from 2005 that resemble the same iPhone 4/4S design. Is Apple that far "ahead" or that far behind?

This time last year were we were anticipating a tear-drop design and that didn't happen. Here's to hoping the current rumors are true.

Otherwise, I'll be moving to Android and picking up the S3.

So, what about you??

Last edited:

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Well they don't wanna change to much because then they couldn't sue Samsung. I do wish they would have changed it but its apple they don't do anything drastic very often since their fanbase will buy it regardless..

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
]Otherwise, I'll be moving to Android and picking up the S3.

So, what about you??

First, we don't actually know what the new iPhone is going to look like yet as all we have seen thus far is a bunch of mock up designs and rumored pics. Secondly, I wouldn't be at all disappointed "if" the so called mock ups did in fact turn out to be the real deal. For one the new iPhone is going to be LTE capable which is something most have wanted for a while now. Another thing is the larger screen size at 4". I realize that some won't be happy if it is longer and not wider as well, however, I will welcome this, because making it longer and not wider will retain the easy to hold factor of the iPhone which is something that I've come to apreachiate more and more after using some of today's newer Android phones.... Good luck with the GS3, I will never own another Samsung device after my resent experience with the Galaxy Nexus. Samsungs customer service was very poor and nothing like the great customer service that I have come to know and Love with Apple, ymmv....

Last edited:

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Well they don't wanna change to much because then they couldn't sue Samsung. I do wish they would have changed it but its apple they don't do anything drastic very often since their fanbase will buy it regardless..

Why change the design too drastically when there is nothing wrong with the current model? One thing I have started to realize about Apple is that they are a company who is focused more on the "quality" of their products VS the looks of it. As far as quality goes, nothing beats the iPhone IMHO. I tried a few of the Android devices out there and non of them felt anything like the solidness of the iPhone 4 or 4S. So while you might be quick to say "the fan base will buy it regardless", I believe it is mostly because Apple users know the quality that backs the iPhone and why should we give that up for a design change? As I said above I'll be very happy if the new iPhone only has a longer 4" display as most of my viewing is done this way on my iPhone and was on my prior Android devices with their larger screens as well.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Why change the design too drastically when there is nothing wrong with the current model? One thing I have started to realize about Apple is that they are a company who is focused more on the "quality" of their products VS the looks of it. As far as quality goes, nothing beats the iPhone IMHO. I tried a few of the Android devices out there and non of them felt anything like the solidness of the iPhone 4 or 4S. So while you might be quick to say "the fan base will buy it regardless", I believe it is mostly because Apple users know the quality that backs the iPhone and why should we give that up for a design change? As I said above I'll be very happy if the new iPhone only has a longer 4" display as most of my viewing is done this way on my iPhone and was on my prior Android devices with their larger screens as well.

Because the iPhone isn't any less proned to issues than other high end devices are. Some have blinders on when it comes to it but an all glass phone isn't really what I'd consider durable. Yes its nice but why have such an elegant phone when 99% of owners cover it with a case anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: osensnolf

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
I think this mockup is either the real deal or very very close to it. I can't remember a time when we've had many pictures of actual hardware and it not come true. The 4 of course, fatboy iPod Nano, 4th generation iPod Nano, current touchscreen nano, 4S from that one company last year (I think it was the antenna only), iPads (external chassis I believe), macbook pro internals leaks...and they've all been spot on.

That being said, Apple isn't one to gamble with extreme design changes once something hits. The external antenna is something they spent a lot of time on and got it right in the 4S. No way they are going back to an internal antenna design anytime soon. If anything, they will find ways to keep it on the outside. They like thin. I am not a fan of two tone back and the taller design. However final judgement will be saved for when I can actually use one hands on. To me, the Nexus S' size is the perfect fit for me. Note is waaaaaay to big and the Galaxy 3 is pushing it.

Last edited:

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Because the iPhone isn't any less pronged to issues than other high end devices are. Some have blinders on when it comes to it but an all glass phone isn't really what I'd consider durable. Yes its nice but why have such an elegant phone when 99% of owners cover it with a case anyway.

Not sure where you came up with this 99% from as I don't think that percentage accurately represents the number of people who cover it up. Secondly, the glass on the iPhone is no more breakable than that of Samsung's newest GS3. I have already seen the demo videos comparing the two, and the fact is the plastic design of the GS3 doesn't hold up in a drop any better than that of the metal/glass design of the iPhone. Actually from what I have read Apple as redesigned the glass on the new iPhone so it may in fact hold up better in a drop than the current iPhone. Also when I said quality I wasn't just speaking in terms of design, but rather it's overall satisfaction rate and how well it is supported when one does need to call in to customer service due to an issue that they are having with their device. I can tell you this, Samsung sucks in terms of supporting their product and will tell you something like a purple screen is normal when in fact it isn't, and refuse to replace the faulty device as well. Not the case with Apple. They have done many swap outs for customers who were or are having screen issues and it is done directly in their store or another iPhone is shipped out over night. None of Samsung's, ship up your phone back first and be without a phone for a week or two while we try to fix your problem... That isn't quality that is crap!

Sent from my iPad LTE using Tapatalk HD.

osensnolf

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
I'm not sure if 99% is correct, but its so rare that when I do see someone without a case, it stands out.

Personally, I'm fine with the plastic back. That way I can replace it for a few dollars instead of using a case. And those with a matte finish are even nicer.

We all know the glass is slick - don't give is a glass back.

Like Microsoft did with PC's, it forgot to be creative and if Apple does the same thing, it will too will lose it it will be Android's turn.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure if 99% is correct, but its so rare that when I do see someone without a case, it stands out.

Personally, I'm fine with the plastic back. That way I can replace it for a few dollars instead of using a case. And those with a matte finish are even nicer.

We all know the glass is slick - don't give is a glass back.

Like Microsoft did with PC's, it forgot to be creative and if Apple does the same thing, it will too will lose it it will be Android's turn.

It's not that I doubt the glass can break easily and that is why a lot of people are probably using a case for their iPhone 4 and 4S, however, I have seen a lot of people in malls and even my hospital that don't have a case on their iPhones so I don't believe that 99% of iPhone users keep it in a case.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Not sure where you came up with this 99% from as I don't think that percentage accurately represents the number of people who cover it up. Secondly, the glass on the iPhone is no more breakable than that of Samsung's newest GS3. I have already seen the demo videos comparing the two, and the fact is the plastic design of the GS3 doesn't hold up in a drop any better than that of the metal/glass design of the iPhone. Actually from what I have read Apple as redesigned the glass on the new iPhone so it may in fact hold up better in a drop than the current iPhone. Also when I said quality I wasn't just speaking in terms of design, but rather it's overall satisfaction rate and how well it is supported when one does need to call in to customer service due to an issue that they are having with their device. I can tell you this, Samsung sucks in terms of supporting their product and will tell you something like a purple screen is normal when in fact it isn't, and refuse to replace the faulty device as well. Not the case with Apple. They have done many swap outs for customers who were or are having screen issues and it is done directly in their store or another iPhone is shipped out over night. None of Samsung's, ship up your phone back first and be without a phone for a week or two while we try to fix your problem... That isn't quality that is crap!

Idk when you have dealt with samsung products but I have owned both apple and android devices and I never had to ship the phone to samsung they would overnight one to you or swap one out in store. Redesigned glass or not it is still glass and still makes it more prone to breakage. I'm not saying samsung is any better I just think if apple went with something more like the original iphone backing it would make it a little less prone to breaking.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Not disappointed at all honestly...i never expected a drastic or radical change in the new iPhone, i expected a slightly modified upgrade, and if the mock up is what we should expect, it's right in line with what i thought it was going to be. It holds the same form factor that i have loved since the iPhone 4 came out, and if it's slightly bigger, all the better.

Personally, i was quite happy when i saw the mock up, and hope it follows along with such.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Idk when you have dealt with samsung products but I have owned both apple and android devices and I never had to ship the phone to samsung they would overnight one to you or swap one out in store. Redesigned glass or not it is still glass and still makes it more prone to breakage. I'm not saying samsung is any better I just think if apple went with something more like the original iphone backing it would make it a little less prone to breaking.

I dealt with Samsung just 2 weeks ago with a brand new Galaxy Nexus that was having GPS issues as well as purple screen issues, first they said there wasn't a problem then after I insisted they said I could ship the phone back to them and wait a week while they looked at it. I also post on AndroidCentral and have read about others receiving the same crappy service from them, so it's not just me. There is absolutely no Samsung repair store in my area so going there wasn't even an option.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It's not that I doubt the glass can break easily and that is why a lot of people are probably using a case for their iPhone 4 and 4S, however, I have seen a lot of people in malls and even my hospital that don't have a case on their iPhones so I don't believe that 99% of iPhone users keep it in a case.

I agree, Rose. 99% is a bit much, and like you, I see quite a few people sporting their iPhones without a case/covering like I do. Still, I would agree that a majority of iPhone owners encase their devices, but not 99% of them.

Just Me, D
(iPhone)

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Not disappointed at all honestly...i never expected a drastic or radical change in the new iPhone, i expected a slightly modified upgrade, and if the mock up is what we should expect, it's right in line with what i thought it was going to be. It holds the same form factor that i have loved since the iPhone 4 came out, and if it's slightly bigger, all the better.

Personally, i was quite happy when i saw the mock up, and hope it follows along with such.

Like you, Sean, I'm not disappointed but I still would like to get a live view of it. Sometimes, pictures don't capture the true beauty of something or someone. Know what I mean?

Just Me, D
(iPhone)

DaPhoneking

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
The only thing I'm not to excited about is the two-tone back. I think if anything they should've made the whole back out of aluminum or whatever metal they were going to use. Hell even go unibody to fit in with all the other Apple products. Like Justme'D said before it would be a better judgement in person, but if the photo leaks are true, the back has me slightly unimpressed.

DaPhoneking

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I wasn't in love with the 4/4S design until I held it. After that, it was sealed....love!

I'd bet this would be the case with the new one.

I think overall the determining factor is what the final revision looks like and when we ALL can see and hold it in person. Also to note that just because the leaked photos are out there doesn't necessarily state that this is what the final version will look like. Apple can change this on the fly at anytime. So I guess we'll find out in a coupla weeks. ;)

Vanti

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
I honestly hope to god that the mockups and the recent leaks we have been seeing floods are all far from true. Tired of the design and i would love something fresh... a taller or longer screen is not going to cut for me, i would like a wider screen. Anywho if they do decide to go with that form factor i will be very upset and complain as much as possible. Still waiting on BB10 to see if they will deliver because im a BB man at heart. However i will NEVER go to android and the tile setup of windows bores me... so its either BB or stuck with an Ipohone because of stability....

DaPhoneking

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I honestly hope to god that the mockups and the recent leaks we have been seeing floods are all far from true. Tired of the design and i would love something fresh... a taller or longer screen is not going to cut for me, i would like a wider screen. Anywho if they do decide to go with that form factor i will be very upset and complain as much as possible. Still waiting on BB10 to see if they will deliver because im a BB man at heart. However i will NEVER go to android and the tile setup of windows bores me... so its either BB or stuck with an Ipohone because of stability....

I agree with you on that, designwise. All it will be is an enlongated iPhone 4/4S. The 4/4S design has been out for what? More than 2 years? Yeah time for a whole new design.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I agree with you on that, designwise. All it will be is an enlongated iPhone 4/4S. The 4/4S design has been out for what? More than 2 years? Yeah time for a whole new design.

Unfortunately Apple doesn't see things this way. They are more focused on making internal changes to their iPhone rather that external changes. The new iPhone will have more than a longer screen, it will also have a better camera, LTE, as well as a faster processor. These things alone will get me to switch from the 4S to the new iPhone. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh