Are you upgrading to the next iPhone?

Will you upgrade?

• Total voters

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm much too invested in the Apple Eco to move to Android. It'd take something darned major to move me.

I have two upgrades, so I'm not terribly concerned about getting a different phone. I think the 4S will pretty much run everything on iOS6 that I want so I'm thinking about picking up an android phone, preferably a Nexus device

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Caballera

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
I'm pretty sure my answer is no, if it had NFC and a few other enhancements I'd probably be on board.

Why? What's so special about NFC? No one uses it. I have it on my Galaxy Nexus and never use it. I have friends who absolutely love Android, do all the rooting and messing around with ROMS they don't use it either other then to play around.

I think it was on the Verge where one of the writes tried using NFC with Google Wallet and ended up looking like a tool at the store as it took forever for the process to go through.

While the iPhone doesn't have NFC now, I think, when it truly is ready for prime time, it'll be released. Right now you would essentially be beta testing NFC. I just don't see how it's that big a deal.

If you want an Android phone, I recommend getting the Google GSM Galaxy Nexus. It's only $349 without using one of your upgrades, then you can try it out and see if it's really means that much to you. At the end of the day it's all about personal preference, but I don't think it's worth switching over one hardly used feature.

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I honestly don't see it as switching because I keep my devices and can go between them whenever I would like to. I think the thing about NFC with me is that it is a hardware difference that I feel will be used before another upgrade cycle comes around. The bigger screen isn't much of a factor to me because it's not wider and I should be able to run iOS 6 with most of the features available for my 4S. I just don't believe it brings enough change to warrant an upgrade for me.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I honestly don't see it as switching because I keep my devices and can go between them whenever I would like to. I think the thing about NFC with me is that it is a hardware difference that I feel will be used before another upgrade cycle comes around. The bigger screen isn't much of a factor to me because it's not wider and I should be able to run iOS 6 with most of the features available for my 4S. I just don't believe it brings enough change to warrant an upgrade for me.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with you feeling that way, my friend. There are many others who feel the exact same way. I've stated on numerous occasions that I'm content with my 4S, however, after I've physically handled the iPhone 5, I will then decide if I want to buy it or just stick with my trusty 4S.

AppleSmart

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
I always want the latest and greatest. I'm a tech junky. I can't upgrade until March though. (and there's NO reason to spend extra $$ to get it now) I will pass my 4s down to my daughter and maybe sell her i4, when the time comes.

GreatNeal

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
Lmfao all this talk about not upgrading and when launch date comes. Everyone would!
Give Apple credit for real hardware upgrades such as 2x faster and stuff.
Remember 4S? Back in 2011, everyone said. Screw Apple. Wheres iPhone 5. But the sales stated otherwise.

But yeah I'm indeed bought over with the design of iPhone5. It's sexy But the fact that it's not some tear drop design. I'm not WOW-ed by it either. xD

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
i wont be upgrading yet - i'm very happy with the way my 4S has been working for me. i will stay with Apple in the future when i decide to upgrade - i just really like the way iOS works:) Plus, iOS6 will be avail for the 4S, so i'll def be keeping an eye on others that upgrade their iOS on their 4S to see how it agrees with the device.

So, when i'm ready, i'll upgrade, and at that time if the iP5 is still avail i'll go to it, or the iP6(if that what its called)....one change i will make with my upgrade is get a 32GB instead of a 16 again.

Last edited:

E Pow

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
I was on the fence in the beginning but after really looking at it, watching the press conference, looking at all the specs and reading up on it on all the Apple/iPhone sites I'm GETTIN IT!!!! No, there isn?t a need for me to upgrade from my 4S but on next Friday Sept 21st I will be 100%, without a shadow of a doubt upgrading.

fridayxiii

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
99% yes.

I was on the fence too, up to yesterday's reveal and even after. I have a 4S & like many others am totally happy with it. What changed my mind is the multiple hands-on reviews from people that felt like I did: lukewarm beforehand, but who felt much differently after. Most if not all said the longer/taller design doesn't look/feel wonky at all in person, and they can tell the difference in speed of the iOS and improvement in the screen from the 4S to the 5.

I won't be preordering the 5 but will head to the Apple store on the 22nd to see the 5 in person (still can't decide on color either) before making the final call. But right now my guess is I'll have a 5, and soon. :)

bailey0907

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Verizon!!!!!!!!!!!

I got the iPhone 4 when it first arrived on Verizon, now I skip the 4s to find out I can't upgrade until 10/7!!!! Hey I was thinking its only 3 weeks out, so I call "Customer Service" this morning to see about waiving the 3 weeks. And I quote "Sorry we can't waive that for a preorder, but if you like I can if you want to purchase a current 4G phone today that we have for sale". Another example of trying to sell the Droid!!!!!!! WTH

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I wonder if that will work once it is available, which should save you a little over a week.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
The new shape / form and the new connector killed it for me, so I won't be upgrading this year. For how I use my iPhone for business (no games) I can't see a faster processor helping enough to warrant any change in my usage or productivity.

BUT, on the positive side, the 4S (used) will be dropping fast in price over Xmas so I can get an upgrade for my wife from 4 to 4S inexpensively.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73