Purchasing an unlocked iPhone

wstevens

May 5, 2011
Visit site
I currently own an iPhone 4s that will still be under contract when the new iPhone is released this fall. I'd like to purchase the new iPhone out of contract. Rather than purchase an AT&T sim-locked iPhone, I feel like it would make sense just to buy an unlocked iPhone from Apple and put my AT&T SIM card in it.

My questions are:

1. Does Apple typically have unlocked iPhones for sale at launch?

2. Assuming they do not have unlocked iPhones for sale at launch: If I were to purchase a new iPhone from AT&T at full retail, would AT&T unlock it as there is no contract associated with that phone?

Thanks!

vietalogy

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I currently own an iPhone 4s that will still be under contract when the new iPhone is released this fall. I'd like to purchase the new iPhone out of contract. Rather than purchase an AT&T sim-locked iPhone, I feel like it would make sense just to buy an unlocked iPhone from Apple and put my AT&T SIM card in it.

My questions are:

2. Assuming they do not have unlocked iPhones for sale at launch: If I were to purchase a new iPhone from AT&T at full retail, would AT&T unlock it as there is no contract associated with that phone?

Thanks!

1. As I remember it was few months after release apple started to sell ublocked version.

2. I assume they will unlock it since you paid full price for the device.

Via Tapatalk with Galaxy S3

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
First question, Apple did not sell unlocked iPhones until maybe 2 months after release. Second question, your best bet is asking Att directly.

Shooter03

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I can't speak on the way it is in America but I bought my iPhone 4s launch day from the apple store unlocked here in Australia.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

My questions are:

Thanks!

1) Not in the US. As someone mentioned, the unlocked version is typically sold by Apple a few months after the launch date. That is when I purchased my unlocked 4S through Apple.

2) Yes, if you pay full retail for the iPhone, AT&T will unlock it for you. This is how I got my iPhone 4 unlocked by them.

Sent from my iPad LTE using Tapatalk HD.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
^^^ Spamalicious.

You wont get an unlocked iPhone for a while after it's initial release...and if memory serves me correctly, AT&T will not sell an out of contract phone to you on release day, you have to pay for the phone with an "early upgrade" price and then break the contract and pay the contract termination fee...after all is said and done, you'll probably end up spending more than an unlocked iPhone would cost doing it this way (which is the point i believe from the carrier).

GPAbsinthe

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
+1

450$ of hardware credit... and not even one year, perhaps even a lot less, since you bought it... I don't know about USA precisely, but here in Canada you'd be looking at 300$ of prorata and probably no discount at all upon buying the newest one. In any case, they'll never take 300$ off it, that's for sure. I think I would import it from here if I were you, we do get them on launch date usually, and even paying border customs and delivery I think it would cost you less.

Turbo_lemon

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
^^^ Spamalicious.

You wont get an unlocked iPhone for a while after it's initial release...and if memory serves me correctly, AT&T will not sell an out of contract phone to you on release day, you have to pay for the phone with an "early upgrade" price and then break the contract and pay the contract termination fee...after all is said and done, you'll probably end up spending more than an unlocked iPhone would cost doing it this way (which is the point i believe from the carrier).

I always assumed you americans got a better deal on cell phones just like you do with every thing else, its usually cheaper down there compared to canada, you really cant buy an unlocked phone from apple at launch there? I had my 4s the day of launch right from apple unlocked delivered at 830 AM. Is this controlled by att? I dont understand how a carrier can have so much control over the company making the product! It seems like we may not be all that far off as far as pricing and availability after all. I have basically unlimited use on my plan for $90 a month seems like it may not be that bad comparison wise!

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I always assumed you americans got a better deal on cell phones just like you do with every thing else, its usually cheaper down there compared to canada, you really cant buy an unlocked phone from apple at launch there? I had my 4s the day of launch right from apple unlocked delivered at 830 AM. Is this controlled by att? I dont understand how a carrier can have so much control over the company making the product! It seems like we may not be all that far off as far as pricing and availability after all. I have basically unlimited use on my plan for $90 a month seems like it may not be that bad comparison wise!

So far, at least with the iPhone, the unlocked versions came later...I'm not sure if its a carrier control thing or if its just a lack of the actual product on hand (probably the control thing knowing corporate function though), but i know last year, my friend waited almost a month before he was able to get his 4S because he wanted an unlocked model and would not consider otherwise.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner