I'd pay $2,000 for a new iPhone

robotphood

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
No matter how great the next iPhone is, it will never be worth paying $2000 for because there are comparable smartphones out there with the same if not better hardware for the same $200-300 subsidized price as always. Sure you get ios but android isn't far off and for some people much more superior for their needs. I just don't even see the next iphone surpassing the galaxy s3 ($199) in terms of hardware (significantly anyway) even though it is at least 4 months from being released. Apple is about high end but still affordable. Jobs said that himself throughout his career.

Last edited:

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Either way, I hope this topic widened your anticipation for the new iPhone. One of these days, "The Big One" is supposed to come, and this time, if the new iPhone isn't different enough, people will be very angry. And so the gap between Apple users will widen, you'll see.

If the next iPhone is the same size as the 4S but has the 4G LTE antenna and more features (like every iPhone iteration does), it'll sell like hotcakes, like it always does. Will people be a bit distraught over the lack of the bigger screen? Sure...im sure a pretty large amount of people would be a bit apprehensive, but they'll buy the new iPhone.

Any why? Because it's an amazing piece of technology. They could simply add a variety of colors in October to the current 4S line and the thing would still sell incredibly.

Your "You'll see" is kind of humorous...you sound like all those critics that said the 4S wouldn't sell well last year, and then ate so much crow I'm guessing it's still working it's way through their digestive systems today.

robotphood

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Who knows, I would say if Windows Phone raised their prices, people might actually be inclined to buy them. People love to have what others don't.

I would say you are probably wrong. Plenty of people don't have windows phone :p. Besides, there have always been windows phones at the $200+ price tag even back to the days of windows mobile over half a decade ago. IE; the HTC titan 2 and Samsung focus S are currently $199.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Who knows, I would say if Windows Phone raised their prices, people might actually be inclined to buy them. People love to have what others don't.

Lots of people know, including myself. The iPhone will be a hot seller, no matter what upgrades the next generations get. In order to POSSIBLY put a legitimate and noticeable dent in the iPhone's sales upon release of a new model, Apple would literally have to release 2-3 "new" iPhones with little to no real changes (like less changes than between the 3G -> 3GS or 4 -> 4S)...and again, it would take a few releases like that before people POTENTIALLY look else where for another phone.

And that is all hypothetical, because Apple has never released an iPhone with insignificant upgrades vs. the generation it was replacing. They may not always give the public exactly what they want, but Apple sticks to that approach, and they find immense success doing what they do, they release products that people (for the most part) absolutely LOVE once they start using it, even if they approached it with hesitance before using it, and it doesn't include every detail they personally want (gigantic screen, early (See: Pointless) adoption of LTE/4G tech, etc).

You asked "Who knows?" Actually...most people do if they've paid any attention at all to the iPhone (and iPad) releases since 2007.

Last edited:

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Lots of people know, including myself. The iPhone will be a hot seller, no matter what upgrades the next generations get. In order to POSSIBLY put a legitimate and noticeable dent in the iPhone's sales upon release of a new model, Apple would literally have to release 2-3 "new" iPhones with little to no real changes (like less changes than between the 3G -> 3GS or 4 -> 4S)...and again, it would take a few releases like that before people POTENTIALLY look else where for another phone.

And that is all hypothetical, because Apple has never released an iPhone with insignificant upgrades vs. the generation it was replacing. They may not always give the public exactly what they want, but Apple sticks to that approach, and they find immense success doing what they do, they release products that people (for the most part) absolutely LOVE once they start using it, even if they approached it with hesitance before using it, and it doesn't include every detail they personally want (gigantic screen, early (See: Pointless) adoption of LTE/4G tech, etc).

You asked "Who knows?" Actually...most people do if they've paid any attention at all to the iPhone (and iPad) releases since 2007.
Ikr? Apple should just release another iPhone 4S or 3GS. People will still buy em. :rolleyes:

Seriously though, that's what gets Apple in trouble sometimes. The new iPad might have been their 'biggest rollout ever', but it actually wasn't that great of a release. I couldn't find anyone interested in an iPad that was bigger and hotter. And I had predicted that. As with the iPhone 4S, I never expecting a virtual assistant to come out of it, but I knew it would be an incremental upgrade.

This is the second time waiting for "The Big One" or the legendary "iPhone 5"

I'm not a big screen advocate, I don't think that will come. But I know there will be a change in style.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
I'm not a big screen advocate, I don't think that will come. But I know there will be a change in style.

Define big screen. If the iPhone gets taller with the same width, is that a big screen? Also, what defines a change in style? Surely texture, color schemes, LTE,and a different dock connector aren't included in that are they? Obviously since you KNOW there will be a change, you must have a connection that works deep within apple right or are you just saying know because you have gut feeling? I doubt they are going to get rid of the external antenna anytime soon, especially since the 4S has the antenna done right with spatial diversity for both voice and data.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Apple's last two releases have been pretty huge.

The iphone 4S may have looked the same but just about everything in it was new. It was a huge update. dual core, even faster graphics, extra mic, double the storage, double RAM, much better camera, 1080p video, video stabilization, faster hspa+, updated BT, redesigned antenna, airplay mirroring, Siri, etc.

The ipad 3 brought the best screen you'll see in a cheap tablet..on any consumer computing device. It's still insane to see that much resolution on a 9.7" screen. A year ago, many said Apple couldn't possibly do this. Even in the rumor stage, I still had a hard time believing a retina ipad was really going to happen.

We can only hope all future upgrades are even remotely on par with the last two.

osensnolf

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
Apple should go up on the price of the next iPhone. Now that the iPhone 4S has saturated and can be found in places like Cricket and other low end carriers.

It sounds like you think you are too good to be seen with the same type of phone that the brothas' in the hood might have.

If you want to pay $2000 for an iPhone, message me - I can hook you up.

As a developer, I want as many people as possible to have the phone that can load my app.

robotphood

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I think the OP also failed to realize that it's not because people can now afford the iphone, but the smartphone market exploded when the iphone came out. We all now crave having a mini supercomputer in our pockets that are connected to the world 24/7. Before that smartphones were a small minority and we were using a stylus on scratch prone resistive screens on a mobile OS not designed for touch that seemed to go unchanged for a decade. Flagship devices cost just as much if not often more than today's devices (although the $5-10 unlimited 3G data plans were nice). Now you can get a previous gen iphone for $50 (or free?) or many other entry level smartphones at that price. No one should be surprised that everyone and their mom now has one.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Ikr? Apple should just release another iPhone 4S or 3GS. People will still buy em. :rolleyes:

Seriously though, that's what gets Apple in trouble sometimes. The new iPad might have been their 'biggest rollout ever', but it actually wasn't that great of a release. I couldn't find anyone interested in an iPad that was bigger and hotter. And I had predicted that. As with the iPhone 4S, I never expecting a virtual assistant to come out of it, but I knew it would be an incremental upgrade.

This is the second time waiting for "The Big One" or the legendary "iPhone 5"

Who said that Apple should just release another 4S or 3GS? I said that they COULD release a very similar phone to what we have right now and it would sell like hot cakes...not that they should, but that they could. Apple can slightly enhance the 4S and call it something else and it will sell out on release day. I'm not saying this is a good, bad or neutral idea...i'm saying it's the reality of it all, Apple has consumer trust, and that speaks worlds when it comes to product success.

As far as your iPad comment...if you honestly think that, i don't know what to say in response. Not only was the first iPad immensely successful compared to what they thought it was going to be, it ended up CREATING a market for these tablets that so many companies had attempted before (it actually made money for many of the dying breed manufacturers who copied the template and sold half ass tablets for less money to capitalize on the success of the iPad). Tablets wouldn't have taken off like a damn rocket if the first iPad had been anything less than a stellar release product.

What difference does it make whether YOU couldn't find anyone interested? Hell, if we went to some po-dunk town in the middle of Alaska where most of the guys sat around telling hunting stories to their eskimo friends, the chances you'd find someone interested in the iPad would be slim to none...does that make it a bad release? Not at all! It just means you're removed from the core of the products success, a success (i might add) that not only created a new market in the electronics world, but also changed the way people approached expectations with the modern desktops and laptops on the market...just like the iPhone, the iPad was a game changer, nothing less.

You said that's what gets Apple in trouble. What are you talking about? If record breaking sales, incredible market value reflection, successful technology integration and consistent positive consumer response is "trouble", i think we could all stand to aim for A LOT more trouble in our lives.

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Who said that Apple should just release another 4S or 3GS? I said that they COULD release a very similar phone to what we have right now and it would sell like hot cakes...not that they should, but that they could. Apple can slightly enhance the 4S and call it something else and it will sell out on release day. I'm not saying this is a good, bad or neutral idea...i'm saying it's the reality of it all, Apple has consumer trust, and that speaks worlds when it comes to product success.

As far as your iPad comment...if you honestly think that, i don't know what to say in response. Not only was the first iPad immensely successful compared to what they thought it was going to be, it ended up CREATING a market for these tablets that so many companies had attempted before (it actually made money for many of the dying breed manufacturers who copied the template and sold half ass tablets for less money to capitalize on the success of the iPad). Tablets wouldn't have taken off like a damn rocket if the first iPad had been anything less than a stellar release product.

What difference does it make whether YOU couldn't find anyone interested? Hell, if we went to some po-dunk town in the middle of Alaska where most of the guys sat around telling hunting stories to their eskimo friends, the chances you'd find someone interested in the iPad would be slim to none...does that make it a bad release? Not at all! It just means you're removed from the core of the products success, a success (i might add) that not only created a new market in the electronics world, but also changed the way people approached expectations with the modern desktops and laptops on the market...just like the iPhone, the iPad was a game changer, nothing less.

You said that's what gets Apple in trouble. What are you talking about? If record breaking sales, incredible market value reflection, successful technology integration and consistent positive consumer response is "trouble", i think we could all stand to aim for A LOT more trouble in our lives.

I wanted to respond immediately after you said the iPad helped create a market for tablets. That's less than half true.

I speak from the view point of the Apple consumer. Those are the only people I'm looking at when I say that the new iPad actually didn't deliver. As I predicted it wouldn't. I could see that interns of blogging and online activity, no one was really excited about that particular product. I was there at launch, people walked right past the stands.

But even the ones who looked at it were not amazed by it. I wasn't. The guy who was selling it wasn't

As a nexfever device, it was half baked, you know that and I know that. You don't have to be naive. That's what it was supposed to be.

dsuttler

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
If you're a person who looks at status vs quality then it's kind of like putting your hand in a black hole that some random guy says has gold. If the iPhone costs a dollar and the iPhone Pro with a different color back plate and different color bubbles in iMessage, I will happily pay my one dollar.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I wanted to respond immediately after you said the iPad helped create a market for tablets. That's less than half true.

I speak from the view point of the Apple consumer. Those are the only people I'm looking at when I say that the new iPad actually didn't deliver. As I predicted it wouldn't. I could see that interns of blogging and online activity, no one was really excited about that particular product. I was there at launch, people walked right past the stands.

But even the ones who looked at it were not amazed by it. I wasn't. The guy who was selling it wasn't

As a nexfever device, it was half baked, you know that and I know that. You don't have to be naive. That's what it was supposed to be.

How can you say that the New iPad didn't deliver when it sold 3 million units in just 3*days. :rolleyes: Apple

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
The fact that over half of those people were first timers to the iPad proves it.

Do you read any of your own posts? First of all, you stated in your above post; "I speak from the view point of the Apple consumer. Those are the only people I'm looking at when I say that the new iPad actually didn't deliver. As I predicted it wouldn't. I could see that interns of blogging and online activity, no one was really excited about that particular product. I was there at launch, people walked right past the stands.", and I provided you with the numbers that proved you were wrong.... Secondly, it really doesn't matter how many of those people were first or return iPad buyers, the fact is people are interested in and are buying the New iPad. The New iPad is selling just as well as the first one. If you think I'm wrong show me some actual numbers or facts that back up what you are saying. Your, "I speak from the view point of the Apple consumer" isn't saying much in my book....

Sent from my iPad LTE using Tapatalk HD.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Where are your sources for this drivel you're spewing on here? Half of those people were first timers? Are you seriously quoting that half baked article written by Cnet about ONE (singular, isolated) line in NYC on launch day who were buying iPads? What i was saying was half true? Are you kidding me? LOL!

I'm honestly at a loss to your logic here (and was from the beginning when i read the initial post). The numbers speak for themselves, the fact that the iPad spawned countless companies to begin developing and selling their own MIRROR of the iPad speaks for itself.

Didn't deliver? In what possible facet did the iPad not deliver? It CREATED A MARKET SEGMENT! One that many companies tried to crack for the better part of the last DECADE! iPad did it in a blink of an eye!

You're delusional bud.

Last edited:

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
It better come with unlimited LTE data, voice, and text for 2 yrs. If decent coverage, i'd pay 2k for it upfront.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2