I'd pay $2,000 for a new iPhone

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Open. :)

I said earlier that the most expensive iPhone today is already $899. And it sells. What's a few more dollars on top of that. If the price doubled, it would be around $1700, that's almost $2000! It's funny because there have been changes in the way Apple and carriers handle the iPhone.

That is the FULL RETAIL price of the iPhone, not what customers pay who qualify for subsidized pricing through their wireless carrier.

david.e.crocker@gmail.com

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Apple should go up on the price of the next iPhone. Now that the iPhone 4S has saturated and can be found in places like Cricket and other low end carriers.
"Hey Double Bubble, ju need a ride???"

"Hey man, you're not a chick! That's false advertising, man!"

"Sorry, man, that's the only way I could get a ride, man..."

"Hey, man, do you wanna get high....?"

Dood, this is YOU if you think people are going to pay two large for an iPhone.

april_n_paris

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
The iPhone is still expensive no matter where you buy it. There is nothing to distinguish which provider you have anyway, so who cares. Besides, the "lower end" providers charge $650 for the 4S-16G (the same as what Apple charges for its unlocked phones). That said, a fool and his money are soon parted!!!! I am not a fashion victim and there is no way in hell, I would spend $2000 for a cellphone. I have better things to do with my cash than toss it out the window on mindless status symbols simply because "Apple can." Besides, while you're busy showing off your new expensive toy, the thieves on the street have a new..... $2000 target.

kayno

Aug 11, 2009
Visit site
I will not pay more for a iPhone, considering I always buy outright here in Australia and paid $799 for the 16gb 4s there's no way in hell I'll pay more for the same amount of space just cause its a "new" iPhone.

That's rape dude.. I paid $400 for a 64GB 4S and get to upgrade every year thanks to AT&T

chictyler

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Peligro: Okay, but then how do you explain MacBook pricing?

That it's gotten cheaper over time? For example, the MacBook Po 13" in its first incarnation was the Black MacBook, which cost $1499. It got updated in 2008 to be the Aluminum Unibody (looks exactly the same as todays MBP) MacBook 13". Cost $1299. It then got its final reincarnation as the MacBook Pro 13" at $1199. That's a significant decrease in price over time. In fact, as for other machines, the original white MacBook cost $1300 until the Black/Unibody/MBP took over that price, bringing it down to $999.

The original iPhone was $400-600 off contract (with no subsidization offered, but the phone was still locked). Apple still makes about the same amount of money off of each iPhone as they did then. It's in their best interest to keep to the $200 on contract price, and make about $650 off each unit (in revenue, about $450 in profit) and sell more units. Raising it to $2k might give some fanboys apple-gasms, but it makes no sense.

chictyler

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
It could go up to $3000 for an iPhone, and people would still line up in the droves to buy it.

The majority of Apple's customers aren't fanboys with rich parents. Sure, they would get a few dozen orders, but it's better for them to sell hundreds of millions of units making $450 a unit than selling a couple thousand making $2000 each.

chictyler

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I know how far people are willing to go for an iPhone. Also, the iPhone isn't just a phone. It's a notepad, a camera, a handheld gaming device, a computer, calculator, a television, a sketchpad.

Making phone calls is the very least of its abilities.

And an Android phone or WIndows Phone can do all of those things for less than the cost of an iPhone now ($650/$200 subs.) let alone $2000.

GadgetGav

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Basic economics: If you cut the price in half but sell three times as many items, you make more money.
What does the OP think the price elasticity is if they priced the phone at $2000..?

Oh, why do I bother. It's just a trolling thread anyway.

Reactions: ChaosShadow

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Well, this particular thread has been referenced via the iMore Blog. You can check it out HERE. Thank you, Georgia. ;)

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

jjjwicks

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure that Apple does not want to go back to the bad old days when their products were viewed as overpriced trinkets for the affluent. Apple wants to dominate the phone and computer market the way that RIM and Microsoft did in the past. RIM has one foot in the grave and Mac market share is growing every quarter. Increasing the price of the iPhone to assuage the insecurities of a few people upset that they use the same phone that "pre-paid" people use is not only bad business, it it just plain dumb.

If you need to possess an iPhone that is different from the one that commoners use, you can always buy the gold-plated, diamond encrusted iPhone 4S produced by Stuart Hughes. What? You do not want to pay $9.4 million to feel superior to others? Cheapskate . . . . .

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
motoleo, your logic in this discussion is completely absent, and it's plainly obvious you're business sense is equally as invisible. Nobody would buy a $2,000 iPhone, it's completely and absurdly beyond the spectrum of what is possible...your numbers are so far off that its humorous, you keep throwing around the cost of the top end, unlocked iPhone which is still a FRACTION of this magical $2,000 mark, and honestly, the top end models rarely sell even marginally as well as the low and mid range models (case in point is the availability of the top end iPhone on release day vs. the low and mid range offerings).

I can't understand how this asinine thread has gone 10 pages.

Reactions: Premium1

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
You know what you guys are probably right but something's fishy indeed. Apple never lends their products out to the lower end. Never. You can't find an iPad anywhere except key retailers closely associated with Apple. Whereas other tablets can be found in a variety of retailers. (Yes. The thing about Apple is that they are very transparent about where they sell their products. They have rules and standards that must be adhered to. I'd be willing to bet that it isn't at all Wal Marts. So, yes Wal Mart and Target are closely associated with Apple. In the way that Apple knows where their products are. And those are two of the worlds most profitable retailers, BTW. Also they don't have MacBooks.)

Either way, I hope this topic widened your anticipation for the new iPhone. One of these days, "The Big One" is supposed to come, and this time, if the new iPhone isn't different enough, people will be very angry. And so the gap between Apple users will widen, you'll see.