I'd pay $2,000 for a new iPhone

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Apple the customers, are willing to pay. Every product has a limit even to people who can easily afford it.
You say you wouldn't buy it, they always say that in the beginning.
I know for a fact that I wouldn't pay $2k for an iPhone or any other phone. I am thankful to have dabbled with various platforms and can easily use any one to suit my needs.

But the funny thing is, is that in the long run, the device costs a bit more than 1,000 with what the hidden costs.
Would you mind going into more details here
The highest model, which may be more that 32GB, could bring it up to right around that price. $300 less and it's almost half the price.
Let's be real for a moment. Let's say that Apple increases the price of the 16 gig iPhone to $2k. The question isn't "would you buy it?", but "do you have to buy it?" For me, the answer is "no, I do not have to buy it.". Why? Because there are other brands that I can utilize to satisfy my smartphone needs. I do not have to have a device that bears the Apple logo. Period! ;)

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

Last edited:

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
What hidden fees? Subsidized pricing of course. Most people don't see it because it's tied into the contract so they don't really look behind that initial $399 purchase. The real cost is higher. By 24 months, they will have made $1,000 to $3,400 off you. That's per customer. You don't notice. You just pay. And that's what you do. But trying buying an iPhone without the handcuffs and you have a price of around $899.99 for the 4S 64GB. Don't tell me that's not expensive.

Now if you bought that phone, then ended up getting on a contract, think about how much that would cost you! Not everyone takes the cheap road, an iPhone with practically no service.

And no, I'm as American as the sky is blue. Nothing foreign about me.

I honestly don't see the harm going up from the price of 899.99. I'm just saying. I'd spend it. The main point is that people will take out their wallets with maybe a little whining, but they'll still pay.

The only reason I mentioned Brazil, or wherever it was that the prices are sky high, is because it already works there, why not here? It's not like if the iPhone gets too expensive, you'll just say, "Oh, I'm not gonna buy it." :rolleyes:

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
You're wrong, and that is exactly what I would say. ;)

Yep. And a lot of potential customers would agree with us...

What the OP fails to account for in his pricing post is that, yes, there is a "hidden" charge in the sense that the service provider company is recouping the subsidized price of the phone... but not all of the monthly bill to AT&T, VWZ or others is to recoup that subsidization... a large part of those fees are to cover the cost of voice, data and text services, as well. And even then, it's not all profit to the wireless provider... certainly they make money off of each service contract, but they also have costs to cover in providing those services.

Sharma15

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I switched my Blackberry for the iPhone through my BestBuy warrenty, only paid 100 bucks more to upgrade memory from 16gb to 32 gb. I didn't get it because I'm a crazy fanboy, i just wanted a phone that worked and had the things I used the most (like a decent camera and good music controls).

If apple raised their priced for the iPhone 5 from around 650 for a 16gb 4s to let's say 900 for a 16gb 5, I can guarantee NO ONE IN THEIR RIGHT MIND who own's an iphone 3GS/4/4S will pay 900 bucks for a brand new one. That's where apple make the most money, contract's with carriers make carriers money and upgrading with warranties make retailers money. My 4S is good for me that I don't have to update to the 5 the second it's out, but if Apple was the least bit smart, they would realize that this product is for the "mainstream" market and not the "wipe my ... with $100 bills" market.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
I'd like the OP to tell me which model iPhone costs $899 in the US. At least get your facts straight if you're going to start another complaint thread...

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I'd like the OP to tell me which model iPhone costs $899 in the US. At least get your facts straight if you're going to start another complaint thread...

Full retail or the factory unlocked 64GB 4S maybe. I paid $849. for my factory unlocked 64GB 4S. No subsidized iPhone would ever cost that much, though.

Sent from my iPad LTE using Tapatalk HD.

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
It's Apple-mania. People go gaga for iPhones. It doesn't surprise me that people sell their kidneys. They even have entire websites devoted to it.

But people beg and plead for something 'new and 'revolutionary'. New and revolutionary comes with a cost. Apple already showed you. If you want a better phone, at the same price point, it's going to have to look the same. The 4 and 4S is practically the same phone. Same phone, same price.

You asked for a new phone. Don't act surprised when the price is new. You can't say, "I expect this this and this, and I want the price point to remain the same."

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
It's Apple-mania. People go gaga for iPhones. It doesn't surprise me that people sell their kidneys. They even have entire websites devoted to it.

But people beg and plead for something 'new and 'revolutionary'. New and revolutionary comes with a cost. Apple already showed you. If you want a better phone, at the same price point, it's going to have to look the same. The 4 and 4S is practically the same phone. Same phone, same price.

You asked for a new phone. Don't act surprised when the price is new. You can't say, "I expect this this and this, and I want the price point to remain the same."

c6e4c99b-a27d-671b.jpg

Sent from my iPad LTE using Tapatalk HD.

Boobie12

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site

Really? Because the 4 didn't look like the 3GS and I'm sure it was the same price? Honestly after reading your post I think your on crack.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

Apple did not raise the price from the 3G to the 3GS to the 4 to the 4S... change and innovation come pre-packaged. So there goes that theory.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Apple did not raise the price from the 3G to the 3GS to the 4 to the 4S... change and innovation come pre-packaged. So there goes that theory.

Yeah, the price has been the same for years. Heck, Apple didn't even raise the price of the New iPad after they added LTE to it.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I don't see them raising the price by much. It's possible they may have to due to the new cost of LTE and NFC. If they did, it would only be by $50 I would bet. I would pay a lot for the new one myself. I would pay up to $700 on-contract as long as we get LTE and NFC.

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
BUT, we're talking about all devices that have looked the same since it's inception. Never before have we asked for a bigger screen, 24 hour battery, wireless charging, or NFC.

Boobie12

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
BUT, we're talking about all devices that have looked the same since it's inception. Never before have we asked for a bigger screen, 24 hour battery, wireless charging, or NFC.

And the price still won't change. Do you even know how much it costs to make current iPhone? Even if they add all this they won't raise the price because they still make profit.

dublex

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I guess people confuse Apple with what their intentions were. While we see the iPhone as a luxury device, look at its OS. It's simple. Anyone can use. Anyone meaning both rich and poor. Opening the phone up to "lower-end" markets will increase revenue for them and drive their mission to reality. Why are people so concerned with who else has their phone? Are iPhone users really elitists? It's just a phone...

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site

Wireless charging and 24 hour battery are not possible at this point in time. A bigger screen and NFC won't add anything to the cost. Components go down in price.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal