I'd pay $2,000 for a new iPhone

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Where are your sources for this drivel you're spewing on here? Half of those people were first timers? Are you seriously quoting that half baked article written by Cnet about ONE (singular, isolated) line in NYC on launch day who were buying iPads? What i was saying was half true? Are you kidding me? LOL!

I'm honestly at a loss to your logic here (and was from the beginning when i read the initial post). The numbers speak for themselves, the fact that the iPad spawned countless companies to begin developing and selling their own MIRROR of the iPad speaks for itself.

Didn't deliver? In what possible facet did the iPad not deliver? It CREATED A MARKET SEGMENT! One that many companies tried to crack for the better part of the last DECADE! iPad did it in a blink of an eye!

You're delusional bud.

OK. Let's go back- go all the way back. "The iPad" is popular. It doesn't matter which one. It doesn't matter if it's 1, 2 or 3. The new iPad wasn't any more popular than the old iPad. It's just iPad.

The people who bought the new iPad are the same people who were going to buy the old iPad. They just waited for the new one to come out before they did.

The thing is, everyone was expecting the "iPad 3". Supposed to be a new product of sorts. It wasn't. And so the NEW iPad didn't deliver anything new. For anyone that has an iPad 2, there was no reason to get a new iPad unless you simply wanted a newer iPad and THAT's why people bought it if you want to ask any of our forum members. Just ask around. If you had an iPad 2, the iPad was not marketed to you.

Now even further back, there is no other market segment besides iPad, so far they have been unsuccessful. HP, one of the biggest failure, pretty much almost had to file for bankruptcy because of it. There's the Kindle Fire, but that's not a tablet. That's a Kindle reader.

So yes it "created" a market segment, but at the same time it didn't. I don't know how many times they can afford to fail, but it cant be much longer now. "tablets" are not here to stay. Only the iPad of course.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
btw...here's a link to the Apple website where all the features of the new iPad are listed, since you've apparently never looked at it (based on that last retort you had).

Apple - The new iPad - It

...also, here's Apple's stock information for today (again, since you must have missed the slight improvement it's made in the last, oh...5 or so years)...

NYSE, New York Stock Exchange > Listings > Listings Directory

...man, i don't know how Apple is going to handle anymore "failure". (I'm still laughing at your post)

This seems relevant...

nrRFZ.jpg

Last edited:

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
I made just a few points. They are either agreeable or disagreeable.

? The new iPad was not the product the public had been expecting
? The new iPad is as popular as any iPad that came before it
? Companies making imitation iPads do not count as a legitamite market segment

Well that's obvious.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I made just a few points. They are either agreeable or disagreeable.

? The new iPad was not the product the public had been expecting
? The new iPad is as popular as any iPad that came before it
? Companies making imitation iPads do not count as a legitamite market segment

Well that's obvious.

- Apparently it was more than what the public was expecting because it sold in record numbers
- How is being just as immensely successful and popular as the previous models a negative aspect (as you have drawn it in)?
- The largest electronics companies on the market making their own tablets to compete with the iPad in such vast numbers that people start questioning whether or not they should just be lumped into the personal computer segment certainly DOES count as a legitimate market segment creation.

...you can stop any time, eventually you'll bury yourself so deep no one will care to read your replies (and in all honesty, you may have already passed that point).

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
- Apparently it was more than what the public was expecting because it sold in record numbers
- How is being just as immensely successful and popular as the previous models a negative aspect (as you have drawn it in)?
- The largest electronics companies on the market making their own tablets to compete with the iPad in such vast numbers that people start questioning whether or not they should just be lumped into the personal computer segment certainly DOES count as a legitimate market segment creation.

...you can stop any time, eventually you'll bury yourself so deep no one will care to read your replies (and in all honesty, you may have already passed that point).

It's not about getting buried. It's about what happened- what's the truth.

In a way, we're both right.

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Just curious... do you EVER leave a post as you posted it? I know for a fact that you've written THREE responses to this message...

That's what happens when you have various points to counter. But rather than try to hit all the points, and delve deeper, I said you know what, everyone is right ... in a way.

rednocturne307

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
It's a fact that's sad but true. There are a lot of people who wouldn't mind the iPhone becoming more expensive so that they can feel more exclusive for having it. Apple has pretty much always played off of this perception that people have of their products and it's honestly a large part of the reason why they've become so successful. Their products are sort of a mark of social status.

As much as I love my iPhone and Mac, this attitude has always kinda pissed me off. This wasn't the reason why I bought those products. That attitude is backwards, beneath us, and should be only for the history books at this point. Not only the wealthy deserve to take part in the technology revolution that we are experiencing. I think technology is at its best when it is affordable to all and can better the lives of the majority, not the minority. That's what it's all about, isn't it? Bettering lives and moving forward.

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Now even further back, there is no other market segment besides iPad, so far they have been unsuccessful. HP, one of the biggest failure, pretty much almost had to file for bankruptcy because of it. There's the Kindle Fire, but that's not a tablet. That's a Kindle reader..

The Kindle Fire is a tablet. An eReader has an eInk display with liquid paper and reads exactly like real paper. Examples of eReaders are the Kindle, Kindle Touch, Kindle Keyboard, Kobo, Nook with Glowlight or the Sony Reader.

The Fire has an LCD screen, you can watch movies, listen to music, read magazines/books and play games. Yes, you can read a book on the Fire if you wanted to, but it is not a "Kindle reader."

Last edited:

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
The Kindle Fire is a tablet. An eReader has an eInk display with liquid paper and reads exactly like real paper. Examples of eReaders are the Kindle, Kindle Touch, Kindle Keyboard, Kobo, Nook with Glowlight or the Sony Reader.

The Fire has an LCD screen, you can watch movies, listen to music, read magazines/books and play games. Yes, you can read a book on the Fire if you wanted to, but it is not a "Kindle reader."

OK. Tablet version of a Kindle, it's still a Kindle.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
It's a fact that's sad but true. There are a lot of people who wouldn't mind the iPhone becoming more expensive so that they can feel more exclusive for having it. Apple has pretty much always played off of this perception that people have of their products and it's honestly a large part of the reason why they've become so successful. Their products are sort of a mark of social status.

As much as I love my iPhone and Mac, this attitude has always kinda pissed me off. This wasn't the reason why I bought those products. That attitude is backwards, beneath us, and should be only for the history books at this point. Not only the wealthy deserve to take part in the technology revolution that we are experiencing. I think technology is at its best when it is affordable to all and can better the lives of the majority, not the minority. That's what it's all about, isn't it? Bettering lives and moving forward.

You know why? Because they're stupid. And we'll never be free from the stupid segment of society. It's sad. It's sad for prudent people like us, though.

GPAbsinthe

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
This is the most ackward thread I've ever read...

Why would anybody, rich or not, ever bought something twice the price it's worth? Seen a smartphone recently that was 2000$ ? There's no market there, no matter whom it would be adressed to. I think that we can fairly assume that, put together, the major OS out there are at the finest point of technology. At some point, you have to think... if the "wealthy" really did wanna have something exclusive, they'd use their influence and money to get a personally customized handset or have one before it's released. What they probably do, those rich people who like gadgets, is simply buy any interesting new one, and always have the latest handset on them. Another point of view is : does Apple want to sell... let's give a generous figure... 500 000 handsets at 2000$, or like more than 15 millions at 800$ ? Of course, Samsung or Apple could decide to sell both... but please tell me what the hell they could put in the 2000$ device that's not already there on the market? A 20 MP with 10X optical zoom camera, with a decacore processor, and compatibility for some ultra fast new network with like two towers in the whole world?

Using one's head to think is a prerequesite... other body parts don't work well with it. Believe me, real wealthy people would not pay only 2000$ for something "exclusive", because something that costs that price is anything but. Their shoes cost more for only one of the pair, and they really don't give a f*** about it. When they want exclusive, believe me, they have something way bigger in mind than a smartphone.

All of this thread is nonsense. And not because some people did not try and say senseful things, but simply because the argument is rotten at the core by futility... The guy is trying to argue that latest Apple releases were nothing remotely new in a "Apple consumer's point of view", yet he'd pay 2000$ for their next handset. Let him have at it. Hell, I do sell those things, I'd be quite happy to have him as a customer. I can charge him 5000$ if he wants to.

GPAbsinthe

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
This is the most ackward thread I've ever read...

Why would someone pay something twice if not thrice the price its worth. I think we can fairly assume that the major OS out there all cover the finest, most advanced technology for public consumering. What would Apple have to put in the damn phone to make it worth that? 20 MP camera with 10X optical zoom, decacore processor, double Retina res and compatibility with some network speed not to be available for another 10 years? But that's not even the point, is it? The point is paying 2000$ for something much more common : perhaps bigger screen, better core, couple of new features, further integration of popular apps, and 4G compatibility. Apple would not be as stupid as to kill its market just to appear exclusive. Know why? Because most people working at Apple are quite well paid themselves, and they know pretty well 2000$ is anything but the price of exclusivity. It's cheap money nevertheless. Some of these "wealthy" people the OP is idiotically refering to, they have shoes that are worth more, and they could not care less about it. Believe me, when they want exclusivity, they have something way bigger in mind then smartphones. What is indeed more probable is that rich tech maniacs just buy any handset that seems interesting, and always have the latest at hand. Rich people, they have the same iPhone than you, and they love it just as much. It's just that they - and all the family, even the six years old brat - change every year. When they want to play cool, they just say : Yeah the baby is getting quite good with the 4S, downloading 50 Go per months the little devil, can't wait to see what he'll be doing with the next iPhone.

Seriously though, the real reason why Apple would not be that stupid is simply : do they want to sell 500 000 devices at 2000$, or more than 20 millions at 800$? The real reason is understanding the market : selling millions of units is the goal, not just because in the end it comes to more profits, but also because there's a war out there, and you don't want be known as the brand that sold the least. That is a real business killer. People want to buy a brand that sells. Thinking technology is sold on account of exclusivity is reverse thinking. Technology is sold on account of easy availability, because the truth about the world is that most people, when they see that most people have something, they want to get it, too. So if you can put the product just within the reach of most people, you have a huge market assured. That's what sells. This goes hand in hand with the rules of socialization.

Using one's head to think is a prerequesite. Other body parts don't do well with it. Really, this thread is just killing me. The guy is telling us that according to an Apple consumer's point of view, the latest iOS hardware releases did not mean anything new, nor did they fill the expectations of them loyal consumers... yet he's willing to pay 2000$ for the next iPhone for so called exclusivity. Please, let him have at his own idiosyncrasies. The more we try to make sense out of it, the more we're sucked into nonsense.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Using one's head to think is a prerequesite. Other body parts don't do well with it. Really, this thread is just killing me. The guy is telling us that according to an Apple consumer's point of view, the latest iOS hardware releases did not mean anything new, nor did they fill the expectations of them loyal consumers... yet he's willing to pay 2000$ for the next iPhone for so called exclusivity. Please, let him have at his own idiosyncrasies. The more we try to make sense out of it, the more we're sucked into nonsense.

Bingo.

...and not only that, but the guy is feeding off people trying to discredit his "points" and retorts.

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Would you do it if it meant not having to upgrade for a few years?

With the current spending habits of us greedy Americans, smartphones especially, it tells me that people are willing to pay almost any price for it.

Studies have shown that people will pay more for a product they believe in, and even more when you have a product that is bursting with popularity. When it happens, you won't think twice about it. It just comes down to how many consumers are you willing to lose by making the product more expensive. But then whole universities and business, not to mention families and even the dregs of society buy iPhones. And they buy them in bulk. We spend 2,000 a more on phones a year, and even more when we upgrade twice a year.

I can't stress enough that it's not just the exclusitivity we're paying for. If the new iPhone is everything we would hope it would be, the possibility of the iPhone being more expensive is heightened. The exclusitivity is a seperate package, like a bonus. It comes with the fact that the older iPhones are widely available and cheap. And they would be seperating the two markets.

It will come down to, "If you want a phone for cheap, get the last year's model. It's sold everywhere. But them we have the newer model that you have to save up for."

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Would you do it if it meant not having to upgrade for a few years?

With the current spending habits of us greedy Americans, smartphones especially, it tells me that people are willing to pay almost any price for it.

Studies have shown that people will pay more for a product they believe in, and even more when you have a product that is bursting with popularity. When it happens, you won't think twice about it. It just comes down to how many consumers are you willing to lose by making the product more expensive. But then whole universities and business, not to mention families and even the dregs of society buy iPhones. And they buy them in bulk. We spend 2,000 a more on phones a year, and even more when we upgrade twice a year.

I can't stress enough that it's not just the exclusitivity we're paying for. If the new iPhone is everything we would hope it would be, the possibility of the iPhone being more expensive is heightened. The exclusitivity is a seperate package, like a bonus. It comes with the fact that the older iPhones are widely available and cheap. And they would be seperating the two markets.

It will come down to, "If you want a phone for cheap, get the last year's model. It's sold everywhere. But them we have the newer model that you have to save up for."

If you could give us references to those studies it would be well appreciated.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR