Thanks for the $500 loss apple!!

Lenerdosy

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Do you not think either apple or someone else will bring out an adaptor to connect the new iPhones/iPods to old devices using the same port. Obviously apple has a reason because usually you don't change something that has been a success.

rictrd#IM

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
It should be an adaptor/convertor from old connector to new connector... If Apple doesn't release one other many accesories brands should do...

jjjwicks

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
That's how much my Bose sound dock was that will be useless in a few months. Oh yeah, we may as well toss in the car charger, mini speaker system and car aux jack as well. .

Does apple think people will just mindlessly buy something because it has an apple logo on it regardless of how much it is and the fact that all of your accessory purchases are on the way to being obsolete?? Apparently so.

Now, I know as soon as you buy tech the clock ticks until its not the latest and greatest, I get that. BUT, to change the pin count after several years of the same design is bs.

And the "well it allows for super cool awesome things to pull the wool over your eyes with" argument won't work either. Apple did a ****ty thing, and to see it otherwise is shear lunacy.

Really awesome customer service. My AT&T upgrade will be used for a WP8.
I guess there are still people loudly lamenting over the loss of the parallel port on their computers since they have expensive laser printers with parallel ports. Oh wait, there are these new things called adapters that alloy you to connect new devices to legacy hardware. Who woudda thunk it?!?!

The unwise man shouts complaints needlessly in the wilderness, while the wise man works on plans for an adapter that he can sell to all of the Bose owners with 30-pin docks.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Apple made the decision to put a proprietary connector on the iPhone so they could lock in, control and get a nice % of the accessory market. Not saying getting a cut is wrong, but had Apple chose to not screw consumers over with a proprietary connector they wouldn't be creating this situation in the first place.

Lets not forget that Apple also plays games with the current 30 Pin connector from generation to generation where it suddenly won't work with your car stereo head unit you put in last year and the Scosche adapter won't work either. I had this happen and since then refuse to invest in proprietary accessories.

Plus all vendors will now have to support two different connector types or risk cutting off the legacy users accessory options. We also will likely have limited product availability at launch and for months after it.

Of course we all know Apple will have THEIR accessories ready at launch for a high price. Maybe we will get lucky and have a $29 adapter to support 30 Pin to 19 Pin.

Timhewitt

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Apple made the decision to put a proprietary connector on the iPhone so they could lock in, control and get a nice % of the accessory market.

So you were part of the product development team and sat in on the marketing meetings at Apple hi.

Very impressive.

macharborguy

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
This is why i am glad i funded the Elevation Dock on Kickstarter. The makers of it have already stated that if the next iPhone does have a new connector, that they will give all the funders the replacement circuit board with the new dock connector on it, and from the pictures and description, the board is trivial to swap out. No muss no fuss, no harm no foul.

Fatboy71

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm reading more and more of people complaining about the rumored next gen iPhone having a smaller dock with regards to their accessories not fitting the rumored smaller dock connector. I think they are worrying about nothing has its pretty obvious that if Apple go with a smaller dock connector on the next gen iPhone, that there will be a large to small converter/adapter available.

Personally I welcome the idea, has I feel the smaller connector will then make more room inside for components that wouldn't fit in if the large dock connector remained and also may allow a larger battery to be fitted inside.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm reading more and more of people complaining about the rumored next gen iPhone having a smaller dock with regards to their accessories not fitting the rumored smaller dock connector. I think they are worrying about nothing has its pretty obvious that if Apple go with a smaller dock connector on the next gen iPhone, that there will be a large to small converter/adapter available.

Personally I welcome the idea, has I feel the smaller connector will then make more room inside for components that wouldn't fit in if the large dock connector remained and also may allow a larger battery to be fitted inside.

I agree with you here. Times change and Apple has to change with them. If the reason they changed it is to make room for a larger screen then I'm all for it. As you said here there will be adapters available that customers can use, so people should just stop looking at this change as something negative and look at the positive things that it is going to bring.

Sent from my iPad LTE using Tapatalk HD.

soleobjective

May 17, 2012
Visit site
My initial reaction to this thread...

I agree with you here. Times change and Apple has to change with them. If the reason they changed it is to make room for a larger screen then I'm all for it. As you said here there will be adapters available that customers can use, so people should just stop looking at this change as something negative and look at the positive things that it is going to bring.

Couldn't agree more here. adaptors will certainly be available, no need to worry ;)

Last edited:

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Cult of Mac is reporting that Tech Crunch has confirmation on the 19-pin dock connector...

New iPhone?s 19-Pin Mini Dock Connector ?Confirmed? | Cult of Mac

While its four-inch widescreen display may still be the source of much debating, according to one report, the new iPhone?s 19-pin ?mini? dock connector has now been confirmed by independent sources. The port will replace the existing 30-pin setup that was first introduced to the third-generation iPod many, many years ago in ?a move that will surely send shocks through the iPhone accessory ecosystem.?

TechCrunch reports:

Although the form factor and actual size are still unknown, TechCrunch has independently verified that Apple is working on adding a 19-pin port, replacing the current 30-pin port, to the new iPhone. It is a move that will surely send shocks through the iPhone accessory ecosystem.

The port is said to be similar in size to the Thunderbolt port seen on recent Macs, but according to three independent manufacturers, the pin-out will be different.

We already have a relatively good idea of what it will look like externally thanks to those leaked images of a purported sixth-generation iPhone back cover than have been circulating in recent weeks.

The existing 30-pin connector, although significantly larger than other smartphone connectors like the microUSB, is considered to be a more stable solution for certain accessories ? such as docks. But it does limit Apple?s design flexibility somewhat. The iPod nano, for example, could physically get any smaller with the existing 30-pin connector.

As it seeks to make the iPhone and the iPad even thinner, then, a smaller, sleeker dock connector seems inevitable. The downside to this, of course, is that all of your existing accessories won?t be compatible:

Three independent manufacturers all agreed that the 19-pin dock port is in the works and many accessory manufacturers are facing an uneasy few months as they wait for official news of the standard to be announced.

Having said that, there?s certainly a possibly that Apple will release an adapter that allows new iOS devices to connect to older accessories ? just like it has done with the MagSafe 1 to MagSafe 2 adapter. Although this won?t be a perfect solution for certain accessories, it may mean that you don?t have to sell all of your existing gadgets after all.

Last edited:

kilcher

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
You're going about this all wrong. You need to send a nastygram to Bose for selling you an accessory that's not compatible with the new iPhone!!!

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Will Apple be using the microUSB connector, or will it be another proprietary port?

You can bet your bottom dollar it will be proprietary. Apple wants/needs more than the standard 5 pins in the micro usb connector... current rumors state it will be a proprietary 19-pin connector.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73