I hear your argument, I just don't like how apple portrays themselves to be all about secrecy, and we basically know every last minute detail of the phone before it's official announcement .. so much so that they have built aftermarket shells for the iphone 4 and 4s's resembling the next generation phone. It is almost humorous. I hear you on design leaks, but every last detail? Leaves nothing open to excitement and wonder. I truly believe apple dropped the ball on keep us at least somewhat guessing.
    Seeing how it looks from parts thrown together is hardly knowing every detail. If so, please list the specs and any new feature or otherwise known as the more important details.
    09-05-2012 01:35 PM
    Seeing how it looks from parts thrown together is hardly knowing every detail. If so, please list the specs and any new feature or otherwise known as the more important details.
    Where do I begin?? 4 inch screen, no width adjustment, slightly slimmer in depth, centered front camera, two toned backing with metal grey plate, headphone jack on bottom, 9 pin dock connector, new speaker grille ... Not to mention, there have been plenty of leaks on the innards as well. This has all been very consistent.
    redbeard likes this.
    09-05-2012 01:53 PM
    I hear your argument, I just don't like how apple portrays themselves to be all about secrecy, and we basically know every last minute detail of the phone before it's official announcement .. so much so that they have built aftermarket shells for the iphone 4 and 4s's resembling the next generation phone. It is almost humorous. I hear you on design leaks, but every last detail? Leaves nothing open to excitement and wonder. I truly believe apple dropped the ball on keep us at least somewhat guessing.
    But you can't blame Apple for that. We have heard nothing regarding camera, CPU, ram, storage sizes, etc...
    cardfan likes this.
    09-05-2012 06:01 PM
    What's humorous is that you're blaming Apple for this...do you understand that the Chinese companies were building iPhone cases last year before the 4S was announced that were so far off from the actual design that it's laughable?

Every last detail? The only thing you have right now is a bunch of "potential" details. Last year the new iPhone that was coming was TOTALLY different than what was "leaked", as it turned out, it was the same as the iPhone 4 pretty much, but what was leaked was all over the map.

Apple doesn't portray themselves anyway that they can't back up.
    09-05-2012 07:40 PM
    What's humorous is that you're blaming Apple for this...do you understand that the Chinese companies were building iPhone cases last year before the 4S was announced that were so far off from the actual design that it's laughable?

Every last detail? The only thing you have right now is a bunch of "potential" details. Last year the new iPhone that was coming was TOTALLY different than what was "leaked", as it turned out, it was the same as the iPhone 4 pretty much, but what was leaked was all over the map.

Apple doesn't portray themselves anyway that they can't back up.
    Ok, I want to address a couple of the points you raised.

First, I hold Apple to a very high standard, as I should with them being pretty much on top of the world right now. As such, I hold them ultimately responsible for the secrecy of 'yet to be released' products, even though some of the stuff might be out of their direct control. I am held accountable for many things on a day to day basis in my profession that I might not be directly responsible for if they get messed up ... that is what comes with being in a leadership position, as Apple is. If they weren't the one's ultimately responsible, then it wouldn't be up to them to take action on those leaking the parts ... and we all know that Apple is probably taking some sort of action behind the scenes. I don't care how much of a highly anticipated product it is and how many suppliers/manufactures have hands on it, Apple needs to find some way to control the leaks since they will directly impact the reputation of their security efforts, the perception of control over their suppliers/manufactures and possibly the demand for their product (even though people will still buy in high numbers for the time being). Regardless, that is not the point.

Next, I am sure you can admit the consistency in leaks for last year's phone is no where near as close to this year. It is a completely different situation. The leaks are overwhelmingly conclusive and consistent this year and I would bet any amount of money that the actual released product is 99% consistent with what we have seen. If Apple pulls a Houdini act on this release, that would be one of the biggest surprises I have witnessed in product release history!

When I say every last detail, I pretty much mean every last detail (of the exterior at least). Although the insides are extremely important, a lot of the masses out there are focused on form factor ... that is because we have come to expect the internals to be competitive with everyone else. That is why people are paying so much attention to these leaks even though very few speak to the internals of the phone. What external design factor can you even possibly say wavered between all the leaks? I have pretty much seen every single one and they are all the same! How can any logical person rationalize that it is not extremely likely that this is the next design?

Last point, as it relates to the form factor of the next generation iphone, I really don't think Apple can "back up" their efforts on secrecy at this point. It has obviously been compromised, and it makes it seem even worse since they made a public statement on doubling down on secrecy.
    redbeard likes this.
    09-05-2012 09:06 PM
    It's comical how serious you're taking this...as well as how personal you're taking it. We all hold Apple to a high standard, what does random leaked information have to do with the standard at which they perform? Nothing...that's what.
    09-05-2012 09:49 PM
    It's comical how serious you're taking this...as well as how personal you're taking it. We all hold Apple to a high standard, what does random leaked information have to do with the standard at which they perform? Nothing...that's what.
    While I am not taking any of this personally, I do take it serious after all of the hours of research I put into it. Plus it is fun for me to theorize on it. Let me clarify, I am holding Apple's security efforts and ability to execute on their spoken initiatives to a high standard, among other things.
    09-05-2012 10:16 PM
    Ok, I want to address a couple of the points you raised.

First, I hold Apple to a very high standard, as I should with them being pretty much on top of the world right now. As such, I hold them ultimately responsible for the secrecy of 'yet to be released' products, even though some of the stuff might be out of their direct control. I am held accountable for many things on a day to day basis in my profession that I might not be directly responsible for if they get messed up ... that is what comes with being in a leadership position, as Apple is. If they weren't the one's ultimately responsible, then it wouldn't be up to them to take action on those leaking the parts ... and we all know that Apple is probably taking some sort of action behind the scenes. I don't care how much of a highly anticipated product it is and how many suppliers/manufactures have hands on it, Apple needs to find some way to control the leaks since they will directly impact the reputation of their security efforts, the perception of control over their suppliers/manufactures and possibly the demand for their product (even though people will still buy in high numbers for the time being). Regardless, that is not the point.

Next, I am sure you can admit the consistency in leaks for last year's phone is no where near as close to this year. It is a completely different situation. The leaks are overwhelmingly conclusive and consistent this year and I would bet any amount of money that the actual released product is 99% consistent with what we have seen. If Apple pulls a Houdini act on this release, that would be one of the biggest surprises I have witnessed in product release history!

When I say every last detail, I pretty much mean every last detail (of the exterior at least). Although the insides are extremely important, a lot of the masses out there are focused on form factor ... that is because we have come to expect the internals to be competitive with everyone else. That is why people are paying so much attention to these leaks even though very few speak to the internals of the phone. What external design factor can you even possibly say wavered between all the leaks? I have pretty much seen every single one and they are all the same! How can any logical person rationalize that it is not extremely likely that this is the next design?

Last point, as it relates to the form factor of the next generation iphone, I really don't think Apple can "back up" their efforts on secrecy at this point. It has obviously been compromised, and it makes it seem even worse since they made a public statement on doubling down on secrecy.
    Sure dude. Do leave down your address so that we can laugh at you in your face when the iPhone5 comes out to be entirely different.
    Oh you wana bet? Sure.... I'll bet a white piece of paper for your $5000.
    Let the games begin. 6 days.
    Oh and. You wana blame apple for them not saying anything about the leaks in China? LOL.
    The stupidity is high with this one.
    09-06-2012 05:06 AM
    Sure dude. Do leave down your address so that we can laugh at you in your face when the iPhone5 comes out to be entirely different.
    Oh you wana bet? Sure.... I'll bet a white piece of paper for your $5000.
    Let the games begin. 6 days.
    Oh and. You wana blame apple for them not saying anything about the leaks in China? LOL.
    The stupidity is high with this one.
    I will gladly come back to this post and admit I was terribly wrong if that be the case next wednesday ... but I highly doubt that. I don't know why everyone is hating as I think I am bringing up good discussion points about how this pre-release period was handled. If you read, most articles on iphone blogs recently are discussing similar topics, so I don't think that I am that off base. I follow all releases pretty closely and this is the first one that this many consistent solid details are out prior to the date. All I am doing is expressing my frustration about how almost certain it is about the next iphone design. It is almost like knowing exactly what you are going to get for xmas before the big day. I would rather maybe have a slight idea but not know for sure. Don't think that is the case here.
    Last edited by csal80; 09-06-2012 at 05:44 AM.
    09-06-2012 05:42 AM
    Absolute secrecy can be attained. There is no doubt about it, but we are living in the information age and Information leaks are used to garner favors, repay debts and to help create a frenzy. We see it all the time in politics and in regard to technology. The things that absolutely must be kept secret are kept secret. As stated in another thread, the alleged leaked photos of the new iPhone are basically cosmetic. We don't know, or at least I don't know, about its CPU, camera, RAM, etcetera and we probably won't know until it is officially introduced. Now, being that so many techie types want a redesign of the iPhone with every release, is it possible that one of the primary goals of the leaks is to prepare people for the new device while simultaneously minimizing the disappointment of not having a redesign in advance of its release? Anyway, that's my two cents.
    Last edited by JustMe'D; 09-06-2012 at 06:27 AM.
    09-06-2012 06:07 AM
    While I am not taking any of this personally, I do take it serious after all of the hours of research I put into it. Plus it is fun for me to theorize on it. Let me clarify, I am holding Apple's security efforts and ability to execute on their spoken initiatives to a high standard, among other things.
    So you're upset because you wanted to be surprised, but you come across as if you've researched this coming iPhone like a full time career...it would seem to me that your problem would be solved by not spending all day reading about the theoretical iPhone pieces coming out of China. Kind of like being excited for a movie and not ruining it by reading potential spoilers online (only with this, the spoilers are coming from historically non-credible sources).
    09-06-2012 12:29 PM
    I would laugh my socks off if Apple have been feeding us all these rumours and parts all along and they actually unveil something completely different looking
    09-06-2012 01:31 PM
    I would laugh my socks off if Apple have been feeding us all these rumours and parts all along and they actually unveil something completely different looking
    I read a great article the other day explaining why that probably isn't the case. To sum it up, basically not worth their time and money that could be spent better elsewhere. But I had thought of that, which I think I mentioned in my OP.
    09-06-2012 01:56 PM
    09-06-2012 01:59 PM
    I read a great article the other day explaining why that probably isn't the case. To sum it up, basically not worth their time and money that could be spent better elsewhere. But I had thought of that, which I think I mentioned in my OP.
    I would have to agree. I think the single biggest evidence out there for at least the screen dimensions is that it's already in the development simulators isn't it?
    09-06-2012 02:12 PM
    Like last year? (though i don't think Apple was releasing anything last year at all...or this year for that matter)
    09-06-2012 04:51 PM
    I think Apple looked at last year's experience, when leaks came out that ended up being completely wrong and led to disappointed consumers who wanted something that didn't look EXACTLY like an iPhone 4. This year, they're probably a little concerned there will be a backlash about the adapter change, the headphone jack change, or the different shape, that they're letting things trickle out to allow people to get used to them slowly.
    09-07-2012 10:08 AM
    I think Apple looked at last year's experience, when leaks came out that ended up being completely wrong and led to disappointed consumers who wanted something that didn't look EXACTLY like an iPhone 4. This year, they're probably a little concerned there will be a backlash about the adapter change, the headphone jack change, or the different shape, that they're letting things trickle out to allow people to get used to them slowly.
    Apple themselves are not letting anything trickle out. That's a fact.
    09-07-2012 03:18 PM
    Yeh, it will be slick, just sort of boring ... especially since all these leaks have damaged any sort of hype it could have brought. There is zero anticipation for the community who actively follow this stuff. I personally love the size of the 4 and 4s. I think they should have just stretched the screen farther up and down to make it bigger.
    The thing is we are the geeks that follow this stuff. The average iPhone buyer does not. I know lots of avid iPhone users and people who want the next phone. Not one of them has any idea of the phone leaks or the OS leaks. Not one. And I'm counting like 10 regular average users and potential users that I know personally.
    No one has a clue what's coming but is geeks and guess what? The masses won't care, they will but the new phone and it will sell like gangbusters!
    GPAbsinthe likes this.
    09-08-2012 08:06 AM
    09-09-2012 09:11 AM
    Lol

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    09-09-2012 10:14 AM
    How appropriate is this article considering this forum topic?

Rush Limbaugh: People Are Depressed About The iPhone 5 | Cult of Mac
    09-10-2012 08:16 PM
    How appropriate is this article considering this forum topic?

Rush Limbaugh: People Are Depressed About The iPhone 5 | Cult of Mac
    I heard it live when he spoke about it today. He didn't say anything that we haven't heard from Rene via the blog or the iMore Live show.
    09-10-2012 08:25 PM
    People actually listen to Rush Limbaugh by choice?
    redbeard likes this.
    09-10-2012 08:38 PM
    People actually listen to Rush Limbaugh by choice?
    Yes sir and I'm one of those listeners by choice.
    09-10-2012 08:59 PM
82 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD