What Do All The Leaks Mean?

csal80

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone aside from me think that the amount of leaks with this iphone release is way more than usual, especially this far before the actual announcement? I mean, if the leaks we have seen are true, we basically know exactly what the next iphone will look like, right down to the backplate and bottom speaker grille. In my, not really professional opinion, all of these leaks could mean 1 of 3 things that I would like to brainstorm about for a bit:

1 - The actual phone design managed to leak out illegally.

Especially since a) Apple has claimed to up their game in the secrecy department over the past few months, since b) they are historically so secretive, and since c) who would want to risk a lawsuit against a company with the biggest baddest lawyers around? ... I find it very hard to believe that they would let so much leak out over the past couple months that would allow such a consistent working prototype to be confirmed from multiple sources. Quite frankly ... how could Apple let this happen?? It is not logical, but quite possible given this day in age.

2 - Apple leaked this on purpose to build hype.

They could have done this by leaking the actual final product or a fake final product. Doing this leaking a fake final product makes more sense as this would add to the shock factor when they finally do release it = less disappointment, more excitement = more sales. Actually this would please me the most out of any scenario and leave me just in awe of how bad ass Apple is to expel energy and waste time/money doing this. In contrast, if they were to have leaked the actual final product on purpose it would leave me bewildered as to why they would want to do that, especially so far before the announcement ... I mean they might as well have announced it. This is almost like Palm when they announced their new Palm Pre phone in January only to release it in June ... way too much time in between, and it just leaves people over the hype and with very little excitement when the actual phone does get released to the public. To be honest, I would be sort of disappointed if the iphone were to look like what has been leaked most consistently since other than the size, it doesn't really change much of the form factor .. and guess what? I have almost 4 more months to stew on how disappointed I am.

3 - This has nothing to do with Apple intentionally leaking anything, and the prototype design that has come to be the most prominent is completely inaccurate.

Now I am a pretty logical guy, and I tend to break things down pretty simplistically and rationally. That said, I can't see for the life of me how #3 could even be remotely true on any front. How could so many leaks lead to one design? Right down to the new dock connector! I have not seen any other prototype than the one that has been leaking everywhere for at least a good 3 months now and I follow all the iphone blogs regularly. Is Apple really that secretive company we have come to know, or are leaksters really just that savvy ... and plain stupid at that! I saw a video the other day of a hands on tutorial of some dude showcasing the new iphone design ... this guy was either hired by Apple, has really no idea what the new iphone design will be .. or is just plain stupid and is going to get the brains sued out of him. Bottom line to sum #3 up, I think this is the least likely based on all the evidence I have seen.

*********************​

To my dismay, what I think the situation is, is #1. I personally think that Apple never intended to leak the iphone design out, but it just managed to get out to the general public. No matter how secretive they are, there are just too many channels these days, too many lines of communication, too many people involved and too many ways to get at evidence and information for this to not leak. I think there are probably a lot of lawsuits going on behind the scenes as well, both internally at Apple, at their parts manufactures/distributors, and people in the industry. The reason this leaves me so disappointed is I feel the excitement is completely over with so much time left to go, and as I said, I am not crazy about the form factor at all. Now, can you believe how incredibly pleased I would be if I were not right? I would rejoice to the heavens! And I feel many others that follow this stuff like I do would as well. There is tremendous upside here, but there is usually less likelihood with upside potential. Someone please try to convince me that I am wrong. What does the iMore community think? Is this a case of #1, #2, #3, or something else I haven't considered? Sound off and let me know.

evorc

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Very good points and I would like to also believe #1. With such hype on apple products already, I can see how easily for people to leak information out especially when money is involved.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Apple tends to send takedown notices to sites that host things like leaks. Do I think apple leaked this ON PURPOSE? No. But it wouldn't surprise me if it's one of a few prototypes floating around. I believe the final version of the iPhone will look very similar to the current leaks. It is also highly possible this is the final version.

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
You don't need to brainstorm about anything.

People sat behind their computer and made it up. Like they always do. There's no "leak". According to rumors, we were supposed to have gotten the "iPhone 5" last year. Now we're waiting for another iPhone 5?? :confused:

What if the "new iPhone" comes out, will we still be waiting for another iPhone 5?

Last edited:

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
i hate all of these leaks. it raises my obsession to a whole new level so i try not to read too much into them

now if someone finds a prototype in a California bar somewhere... well haha

csal80

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I was thinking about this after, but if I were Apple and #1 was actually the case right now, I would completely scrap the design, pull back production, write off the costs, and start up production on their 2nd runner up prototype. They can afford to make this change. I really think if the design that has been the most leaked is the one that actually gets released to the market, then a lot of people will be disappointed. Think about it, people wanted a redesign with the last phone and didn't get it, and I don't necessarily count an elongation of the phone and switched up headphone jack, and a couple other odds and ends a redesign. Now if the phone were to look like the ipad, then I would call that a redesign!

Fraydog

Apr 15, 2009
Visit site
Honestly, I'd rather see Apple increase the screen size without increasing the physical size of the device, even if it meant getting rid of the physical home button and going to a smaller capacitive home button. I want more screen real estate but I don't want a bigger phone to have it.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, I'd rather see Apple increase the screen size without increasing the physical size of the device, even if it meant getting rid of the physical home button and going to a smaller capacitive home button. I want more screen real estate but I don't want a bigger phone to have it.

Your point is valid and since I haven't been an iPhone owner since the 3GS days I would have to say after owning a Blackberry and 4 Android Devices I wouldn't mind the iPhone 5 having a bigger footprint.

I currently own a Galaxy Nexus planning to get an iPhone 5 and I must say that even though the Nexus is bigger with it's 4.65" screen and bigger footprint it's really comfortable to use.

I think if Apple shrunk the Nexus footprint down a bit and used about 4.1 to 4.3" screen size then use like you mentioned a capacitive home button or ditch that and use soft keys/key to reduce the bezel real estate, you might be able to keep the current footprint or increase by a small margin.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
It will be funny if its nothing like the leaks just like last year was supposed to have a redesign and we all know how that turned out.

LazyStarGazer

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
What do all these leaks mean? MONEY!

For 'industry analysts', selling their 'supply chain sources' info/rumors.

For the websites that report every leak, rumor and flatulence from 'people in the know'
it's about page views-ad dollars.

Ditto for newspapers and traditional media.

Reactions: GPAbsinthe

Edharv1

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
I think with all the parts actually leaking....it may be legit. The iPad parts leaked as well. As far as a radical design change...they really don't change up their products as a whole much i.e. the MacBook Pro, iPad, iPod etc....I think the images and parts leaked don't really indicate a radical design change more so an iPhone 4 tweak. We never saw actual parts from the teardrop rumor last year, just case designs and specs. However I would like to see an iPad-like design for the new iPhone...but I doubted.

Larry Pager

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
I think it is a combination of unintentional and intentional leaks.

It's unintentional in the fact that no matter how secure and paranoid Apple is, the fact remains that they outsource the manufacture of the iPhone to a 3rd party so that will always be less secure than making it on their own. Leaks will occur despite the best to prevent them.

On the other hand, if Apple were so secretive that nothing got out, there would be no Apple in the media. These leaks keep Apple in people's minds and stir up interest. CNET wrote an article comparing the Galaxy S3 vs. the iPhone 5. How ridiculous is that? Ohe phone is out and the other still has a few months and nobody knows anything about it. That's how powerful these leaks are in causing trouble for the competition.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Its likely Apple put the leaked changes out to get things prepared so users will get over their *****ing and whining about the screen size going up. or it getting a bit thinner or the back being metal and not glass.

As for Apple having bad ass lawyers, well I wouldn't go that far. Apple has lots of cash and has no issue tossing it around to harass, delay, intimidate and outright make other lives difficult. It doesn't take tough lawyers to do it, it just takes mountains of cash.

Besides Tim Cook hates the litigation but here we are. That to me was all about PR and nothing else.

dublex

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I feel like if the leaks were real, Apple would have done something about it already. What would they have done? I have no idea. I remember Mr. Cook saying they were going to double down on secrecy but of course that didn't happen when all of the iOS 6 leaks were outed, basically made the whole keynote boring and expected. I would hate to see the screen grow just vertically which would make the whole device grow as well. They could definitely make the screen bigger on the device without removing the home button and pushing the earpiece and camera up a little further.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
It will be funny if its nothing like the leaks just like last year was supposed to have a redesign and we all know how that turned out.

Yeah that would be especially since that is exactly what happened with the iPhone 4S. It turned out to be nothing like the rumored pictures that were posted months before it came out. However, seeing as how the next iPhone will be LTE capable and more than likely will have a larger screen I do think the design models that are being posted this year are a little more credible.

Sent from my iPad LTE using Tapatalk HD.

csal80

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
more and more leaks support the probably form factor. Never been so disappointed and unexcited for a launch!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
more and more leaks support the probably form factor. Never been so disappointed and unexcited for a launch!

It could also be the old rope-a-dope. The alleged deliberate leaks could be intended to get your mind focused on one image so that you will indeed be wowed when the true image is revealed.

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

Last edited:

csal80

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
It could also be the old rope-a-dope. The alleged deliberate leaks could be intended to get your mind focused on one image so that you will indeed be wowed when the true image is revealed.

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

I absolutely doubt it! This is apple we are talking about! Too many leaks of the same exact thing!