If the iPhone 5 has new charging port...

Apple=Racket96

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
Im hoping to death that apple keeps the 30-pin port because if it doesn't,I'm afraid I'll HAVE to ditch my iPhone 4 because in a couple years they'll be no more supplies for it!

Is this a deal breaker just for me? Am I overreacting???

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Im hoping to death that apple keeps the 30-pin port because if it doesn't,I'm afraid I'll HAVE to ditch my iPhone 4 because in a couple years they'll be no more supplies for it!

Is this a deal breaker just for me? Am I overreacting???

Probably an overreaction.

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure Apple will launch an adapter when they launch the micro dock. Probably be a few months till 3rd party adapters are available.

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I completely agree with everyone. I just got an iHome for my birthday and I love that thing (if even fits my iPhone with its case). When my parents gave it to me, my Mum said if the iPhone adapter changes, she wants it back for her iPhone and she'll get me a new one haha. I give her credit for doing some research!!

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Bro-row

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Guaranteed...

I guarantee that there will be an apple and/or third party adaptor. In the meantime, after the purchase of your iPhone 5, leave your iPhone 4 on your iHome and/or Bose system permanently or temporarily. If anything it would be more convenient with all of your music synced to your old iPhone.

Snackbardan

May 31, 2012
Visit site
I think apple is going to because of the extra space it creates but I'm worried it's going to add to the fragmentation that the iOS6 announcement did. Which won't be good at all.

baseballbert

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
No, apple has done a ****ty thing because they think anything Cupertino releases will be lapped up by us. You aren't over reacting.

I'm out $500 on a Bose system in a few months if I get the 5. I was going to sell my 4s to get the 5.

Now I'm going to take a harder look at wp8.

NinoMH

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
There will most likely be adapters for sure if they decide to change the port size. Stop overreacting people. They will not force people to buy all new accesories for a new phone.

Don't be thick.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
No, apple has done a ****ty thing because they think anything Cupertino releases will be lapped up by us. You aren't over reacting.

I'm out $500 on a Bose system in a few months if I get the 5. I was going to sell my 4s to get the 5.

Now I'm going to take a harder look at wp8.

WP8 fixes this problem how? Does the WP8 phone work with your iOS-dock Bose system? The Bose works with the device(s) that it was designed to work with... you got what you paid for. Get over it.

Reactions: DaPhoneking

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I actually wouldn't be apposed to an adapter because if I go with a LifeProof, or something similar, I'd need an extender anyway to fit my iHome.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
The point is a WP8 device uses a microUSB port so while it doesn't work with his Bose system, he isn't looking to support Apple by buying another phone that won't either.

Beyond that though, yes their would likely be adapters by Apple, maybe the OEM's like Bose will offer a new adapter or cable/adapter to work. For those (like me) who have the Bose Wave systems, that was a $150 accessory to that will be useless (for me) so I would likely sell that accessory and get another one.

Tytanious

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Instead of over reacting, don't upgrade. Keep your phone and accessories. The 4 won't be obsolete for 2-3 years, the 4S even longer.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Cult of Mac is reporting that Tech Crunch has confirmation on the 19-pin dock connector...

New iPhone?s 19-Pin Mini Dock Connector ?Confirmed? | Cult of Mac

While its four-inch widescreen display may still be the source of much debating, according to one report, the new iPhone?s 19-pin ?mini? dock connector has now been confirmed by independent sources. The port will replace the existing 30-pin setup that was first introduced to the third-generation iPod many, many years ago in ?a move that will surely send shocks through the iPhone accessory ecosystem.?

TechCrunch reports:

Although the form factor and actual size are still unknown, TechCrunch has independently verified that Apple is working on adding a 19-pin port, replacing the current 30-pin port, to the new iPhone. It is a move that will surely send shocks through the iPhone accessory ecosystem.

The port is said to be similar in size to the Thunderbolt port seen on recent Macs, but according to three independent manufacturers, the pin-out will be different.

We already have a relatively good idea of what it will look like externally thanks to those leaked images of a purported sixth-generation iPhone back cover than have been circulating in recent weeks.

The existing 30-pin connector, although significantly larger than other smartphone connectors like the microUSB, is considered to be a more stable solution for certain accessories ? such as docks. But it does limit Apple?s design flexibility somewhat. The iPod nano, for example, could physically get any smaller with the existing 30-pin connector.

As it seeks to make the iPhone and the iPad even thinner, then, a smaller, sleeker dock connector seems inevitable. The downside to this, of course, is that all of your existing accessories won?t be compatible:

Three independent manufacturers all agreed that the 19-pin dock port is in the works and many accessory manufacturers are facing an uneasy few months as they wait for official news of the standard to be announced.

Having said that, there?s certainly a possibly that Apple will release an adapter that allows new iOS devices to connect to older accessories ? just like it has done with the MagSafe 1 to MagSafe 2 adapter. Although this won?t be a perfect solution for certain accessories, it may mean that you don?t have to sell all of your existing gadgets after all.

ray6712

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm thinking it will probably be very similar to a MagSafe connector Apple already has the patents showing they can transfer data with the MagSafe plus it would seal the largest single port on the phone making it very hard to damage it with water.

ray6712

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
but in all likely good there will be an adapter for it if it changes and even if it does change you know the aftermarket will support it so I would say its an easy overreaction. Apple usually does things to improve the experience not just to do them so just hold off before making an assumption that may or may not be true

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro