Screen resolution

ray6712

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
Hey y'all with all the retina displays apples dropping on the industry how many find it hard to believe that Apple will double the resolution on the iPhone 5 or 6 whatever it's called. They have proven they have the gpu to move the screens now the just have to put it in a better battery which is what I think has held this phone back te battery tech needed because if the A6 is ready and they use Sonys 12 megapixel sensor then this phone with that larger screen will be a beast

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Hey y'all with all the retina displays apples dropping on the industry how many find it hard to believe that Apple will double the resolution on the iPhone 5 or 6 whatever it's called. They have proven they have the gpu to move the screens now the just have to put it in a better battery which is what I think has held this phone back te battery tech needed because if the A6 is ready and they use Sonys 12 megapixel sensor then this phone with that larger screen will be a beast

Dream On ~ Steven Tyler

Apple will NOT double the resolution of the iPhone 4/4S for the new phone (iPhone 5?)... Never.Gonna.Happen. Isn't the iPhone retina display already the highest resolution phone on the market?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Although the retina display is gorgeous, I can get along without it. As long as the screen is responsive, clear and allows me to zoom in and out when necessary, I'd be satisfied.

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

Paradocks

May 5, 2012
Visit site
Dream On ~ Steven Tyler

Apple will NOT double the resolution of the iPhone 4/4S for the new phone (iPhone 5?)... Never.Gonna.Happen. Isn't the iPhone retina display already the highest resolution phone on the market?

Nope. I know the HTC Rezound has a higher PPI resolution than the iPhone. How do I know? I own one. :p

Sent from somewhere

ray6712

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
iPhone 3GS resolution doubled to retina quality 2 years ago this year iPad upgraded to retina resolution in fact it doubled. MacBook pro resolution highest of any laptop on market. Now if they are going to actually change the screen size why would they stick with a similar resolution when they could easily double it basically future proof their product lines and in a way destroy the competition going forward for the foreseeable future

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
iPhone 3GS resolution doubled to retina quality 2 years ago this year iPad upgraded to retina resolution in fact it doubled. MacBook pro resolution highest of any laptop on market. Now if they are going to actually change the screen size why would they stick with a similar resolution when they could easily double it basically future proof their product lines and in a way destroy the competition going forward for the foreseeable future

They won't because (1) the iPhone is already retina display and (2) their developers would mutiny. The cost of the higher res screens would be prohibitive as well (if a 4", 1920 x 1024 even exists)... Apple did not raise the price of either the iPhone 4 or the iPad 3 when it added retina display... but the cost of the MacBook Pro with retina display went up $400 at the entry price point...

taylorz_412

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
They won't because (1) the iPhone is already retina display and (2) their developers would mutiny. The cost of the higher res screens would be prohibitive as well (if a 4", 1920 x 1024 even exists)... Apple did not raise the price of either the iPhone 4 or the iPad 3 when it added retina display... but the cost of the MacBook Pro with retina display went up $400 at the entry price point...

But with the new MacBook pro the also changed some other specs which could also be the reason why it was 400$ more,but I do agree with you they can't change the price point it's perfect where's it at IMO

Sent via tapatalk

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
But with the new MacBook pro the also changed some other specs which could also be the reason why it was 400$ more,but I do agree with you they can't change the price point it's perfect where's it at IMO

Sent via tapatalk

You are correct that other architectural changes were included in the MBP w retina display... but those changes (including the SSD) were also added to the MacBook Air line at their existing price point... so one could argue that those changes were coming anyway...

ray6712

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
The debs won't have a mutiny they will develop the apps because apples where's the money is. Also the cost of the screen will be driven down to apples liking just based on the shear volume that apple will purchase at so a double resolution iPhone is feasible at its current price point.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
The debs won't have a mutiny they will develop the apps because apples where's the money is. Also the cost of the screen will be driven down to apples liking just based on the shear volume that apple will purchase at so a double resolution iPhone is feasible at its current price point.

Believe what you have to to get through the day? but remember where you heard this? it ain't happening for iPhone 5.

Last edited:

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Dream On ~ Steven Tyler

While the iPhone's 3.5" retina display is the highest ppi today, it won't be for long. LG Display debuts five-inch Retina Display killer with 1080p HD resolution and 440ppi pixel density LG Display debuts five-inch Retina Display killer with 1080p HD resolution and 440ppi pixel density -- Engadget.

Drummertist

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
A screen with higher resolution than 300 ppi is a waste. A waste of battery and waste of manufacturing money. In the print world, 300 dpi (dots per inch) is the de facto standard for high resolution "can't-see-the-dots" print worthy material. Over 300 ppi ends up just being a meaningless spec that Android phones can throw around. Look at your iPhone 4 or 4S screen up close. It's insanely hard to find the pixels. Why waste battery on more pixels when you won't notice a difference?

Adding a higher resolution screen is ridiculously unneeded. And you're obviously high.

ray6712

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
And in the world of technology there is no such thing as overkill if they can do it and keep the power consumption in check then why not they want the highest resolution screen

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
And in the world of technology there is no such thing as overkill if they can do it and keep the power consumption in check then why not they want the highest resolution screen

Because there's just no need for it. Save that power for other uses. Just because you "can" doesn't mean you "should".

ray6712

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
Which is true yet that's just not the way any company has or will ever do it because as long as they can sell it and have bragging rights and a valid selling point then why not do it I've never seen a commercial saying the products good enough well never improve it

ray6712

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
Every year apple Samsung and every other companies smartphone get better I haven't heard any of them say we won't do it because the current screen is good enough, my point is if they are going to enlarge the screen for the first time in 5 years then I'm thinking why not increase the HELL out of the resolution why were at it and get folks saying how pretty the screen is again because the entire phone is based off the screen

NinoMH

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
Because again, there's no need for it. The current screen in the iphone is gorgeous, and you simply cannot see the pixels as it is right now. A 0.5" bump in screen size, doesn't call for a higher PPI. Waste of resources.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Because again, there's no need for it. The current screen in the iphone is gorgeous, and you simply cannot see the pixels as it is right now. A 0.5" bump in screen size, doesn't call for a higher PPI. Waste of resources.

and it will also drive up the cost of the device... which will either squeeze Apple's profit margin or raise the cost to the consumer (us).

ray6712

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
and it will also drive up the cost of the device... which will either squeeze Apple's profit margin or raise the cost to the consumer (us).

Yet as i said before the cost will be driven out of the equation by Apple themselves they will order what close to 75 million of these screens in under a year maybe more and they know they will sell at least 75% of what they will order. Now if your a panel maker do you not meet their demands on pricing plus they now own a flash memory maker so that all but eliminates that cost, therefor the price of the handset remains. Listen what did they do quadruple the mac book pros resolution for what reason because they could now you could be right but if the resolution got doubled it would surely make it easier on the devs to configure the apps for it and if they do whose the competition now, nobody remember they didn't have to do it the first time they did it. Now they will have an even more valid reason to increase resolution to knock another home run out of the park as well as future proofing themselves in the resolution game for at least another 5 years. And with the A6 processor driving a new gpu they will have the horsepower as well as the battery savings its a win win for them

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods