I'm reaching here but I believe the new iPhone will feature a 4 inch screen with double the current phones resolution while retaining its 3:2 aspect, my reasoning for this is simple. Since the intro of the iPad Apple has always supported 3 resolutions for ios, and I'm thinking the 3GS won't be supported by ios 6. Thus Apple could keep its 3 different resolution model it currently has and the same aspect ratio while all current devices that can run ios 6 will run retina anyway. I see them doubling the current retina resolution to 1920*1280 and in a way future proofing their products for a while in terms of resolution. No other product on the market would have a better screen. They would have a great marketing strategy it would be a larger screen we'd all be happy, and it will probably be thinner and about the exact same dimensions.

I have read to many reports about Apple working with Sony and Hitachi as well as Toshiba on this as well as investing over a billion into the tech IGZO tech resulting in lower power cunsumption and better screen response time. Now we know they have the money and resources to pull it off now let's just see if they can pull it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    05-12-2012 12:39 PM
    This sounds very interesting! Great info!

05-12-2012 01:44 PM
    That just introduces display fragmentation. 320x480, 1024x768, 640x960, 2048x1536 and then whatever display the new iPhone may have.......
    05-12-2012 02:48 PM
    While what you say sounds very interesting and if they could pack that many pixels into a 4 inch display I'm sold sight unseen. But I don't think they will double the resolution I would think it would be more realistic to see a 9601440 display. But I really hope your right
    05-12-2012 05:00 PM
    Yes but the fragmentation you speak of In Apple already exist. They already design IOS around the specific device it's going on if they do this now and just introduce a staggering resolution in as little as 3 years the could eliminate almost all the fragmented versions of ios because all would be retina and all would be above 1080p resolution. and if any company could pull this off it would be apple, and I got the aspect ratio wrong for the phone but you guys get what I'm saying. They haven't waited 2 years to develope the phone to just release anything and these display makers will produce a display for apple because of the loads of cash they would get for it over the next 2 years would be staggering

05-13-2012 08:16 AM
    I mean think about it the first iPhone they doubled the resolution to the current status the iPad the doubled the resolution to its current status I don't think it would be impossible to do it again. I almost expect it

05-13-2012 08:22 AM
    I mean think about it the first iPhone they doubled the resolution to the current status the iPad the doubled the resolution to its current status I don't think it would be impossible to do it again. I almost expect it

It isn't impossible at all, just people feel the dev's will not want to rework their apps for the different resolution, but the fact remains they aren't going to miss out on the opportunity to make money so they will adjust.
    05-13-2012 03:40 PM
    Sounds good but why stop at a 4" screen then? It'd still be considered the smallest flagship phone. If they're going to go to all the trouble of doubling the res again, you'd think they would make the size leap significant. To be honest, i doubt most would know a 4" screen from the present one.

That said, most i talk to are just ready for something "different." Not necessarily bigger. Just a different design so that it doesn't look like the 4/4S. Don't ask me why..after all, they'll shove it in a cheap plastic case with only the screen visible. That's just how it is..
    05-13-2012 06:14 PM
    it will be a different design but I doubt it will be plastic I mean it could be but I'm betting on a unibody made of say Kevlar or titanium from apple just because nobody else ha it and the reason they would probably go with a 4 inch screen is keeps battery in check and it's not to big that it requires 2 hand use

05-13-2012 10:42 PM
    Apple prepares new iPhone with larger screen

Read ALL about it !!!!

Apple iPhone larger screen: Apple prepares iPhone with larger screen - OrlandoSentinel.com

Just double click on the news line....
    05-16-2012 12:33 PM
    now hopefully they will double the resolution and they will have an instant smash hit on their hands especially if they make it sexy like they always do

05-16-2012 03:49 PM
    I just noticed they reported the potential new screen size on the local evening news. Time will tell whether all of the rumors will pan out.
    05-16-2012 05:49 PM
    now hopefully they will double the resolution and they will have an instant smash hit on their hands especially if they make it sexy like they always do
    And if they don't change the screen size and/or resolution, they will have a smash hit on their hands... #justsaying
    05-16-2012 07:43 PM
    If they don't do something big this year they will sell another Android phone... #justsaying
    05-16-2012 07:54 PM
    Well with verizon and other carriers are getting rid of unlimited grandfathered data which I am sure will be shortly before this comes out, It is almost a waste to have an lte device if you have to monitor your data usage. maybe I will switch to a gsm carrier so at least if I am not in a lte market they have faster 3g speeds.
    05-16-2012 10:12 PM
    Well with verizon and other carriers are getting rid of unlimited grandfathered data which I am sure will be shortly before this comes out, It is almost a waste to have an lte device if you have to monitor your data usage. maybe I will switch to a gsm carrier so at least if I am not in a lte market they have faster 3g speeds.
    Not only did Verizon end unlimited, they're looking to raise prices. Using Verizon logic, just because they (supposedly) didn't hear a lot of complaints, raising the upgrade fee was "the right thing to do."

Verizon plans price hikes for Fios, wireless users | Mobile - CNET News

He (Verizon CFO) also promised investors that wireless customers would soon be spending more on its service after the company implements a new "data share" plan for its 4G LTE network.

I'm only including that because several think data sharing is going to save them money. Let's just say that's not Verizon's intentions.
    05-17-2012 07:52 AM
    ...(snipped)... #justsaying
    (Laughing)...I thought I was the only one who uses that hash tag (on Twitter, of course)...

Just Me, D
    (Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)
    05-17-2012 08:18 AM
    WSJ has confirmed that the 6th gen iPhone will have a 4" screen. Apple has already put in orders for June and production starts in August!

http://www.todaysiphone.com/2012/05/...4-inch-screen/

Now my question is, since this is my first time with Verizon, do they let us do early upgrades??
    05-17-2012 11:02 AM
    Here's my take on what the possibilities are, and what benefits and challenges come with them.

http://www.imore.com/2012/05/17/4-inch-iphone/
    johnkey likes this.
    05-17-2012 03:13 PM
    I don't mind if they make a bigger screen. Just as long as they do it by eliminating the dead space and not by making it all around larger. I still want to be able to stuff it in my pocket and not need a man purse to carry it. .
    05-17-2012 03:34 PM
    A 4 inch iPhone will not be that much bigger than the current iPhone. I carry a HTC Rezound in my front shirt pocket, and it has a 4.3 inch screen PLUS the extended battery, which makes it thicker than normal. No problems with portability or usability, IMHO.
    05-17-2012 04:30 PM
    I think it is time to go Android. The Galaxy S III is sure looking good and it isn't just smoke. I, for one, am a little tired of Apple's tight lip policy. I wanted a new phone when I had the iPhone 4, Apple responded with the 4s. I'm a little disappointed. The S3 is not just a rumor. I respect Apple, they have come back from near obscurity to become, if not the largest the second largest company in the world. This means they are doing something right. Now it seems that their competition is making a challenge that I find inviting. A few more days and I will be able to hold the S3 in my hand and make a decision for myself, but it already has a strong pull. The screen is larger than even the rumors of an iPhone x(5, 4x, 6?). I just tired of the 'somebody said' this one might be better.
    05-19-2012 09:33 AM
    I think it is time to go Android. The Galaxy S III is sure looking good and it isn't just smoke. I, for one, am a little tired of Apple's tight lip policy. I wanted a new phone when I had the iPhone 4, Apple responded with the 4s. I'm a little disappointed. The S3 is not just a rumor. I respect Apple, they have come back from near obscurity to become, if not the largest the second largest company in the world. This means they are doing something right. Now it seems that their competition is making a challenge that I find inviting. A few more days and I will be able to hold the S3 in my hand and make a decision for myself, but it already has a strong pull. The screen is larger than even the rumors of an iPhone x(5, 4x, 6?). I just tired of the 'somebody said' this one might be better.
    You don't have to justify yourself to anyone here. If you want to go Android, then go Android. It's your prerogative and your money. I've liked every smartphone I've ever purchased and if I decide that my next one will be a non-Apple device, I won't care who shuns that decision. It's my money, my prerogative and my decision. Period! Having said all of that, I'm satisfied with my 4S and I don't foresee getting rid of it unless the next iPhone is a worthy upgrade.

Just Me, D
    (Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)
    Raptor007 likes this.
    05-19-2012 09:48 AM
    You don't have to justify yourself to anyone here. If you want to go Android, then go Android. It's your prerogative and your money. I've liked every smartphone I've ever purchased and if I decide that my next one will be a non-Apple device, I won't care who shuns that decision. It's my money, my prerogative and my decision. Period! Having said all of that, I'm satisfied with my 4S and I don't foresee getting rid of it unless the next iPhone is a worthy upgrade.

Just Me, D
    (Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)
    Well said! Its an individual choice based on a users needs. In the last year alone I have owned, sold, swapped, in and out of iPhone, BlackBerry, Android, WindowsPhone and all around back and forth again in no particular order. The end result was a never ending quest to find what suited my needs at that time.

Given so much diversity in all of the devices I have owned I can say each OS has benefits and failures, and yes even iOS has failures or negative parts to it. I will be getting the next iPhone based on what I am seeing so far, it was the lack of LTE that has bothered me the most, although I do want a 4" screen and it could be a deal breaker.
    06-01-2012 04:44 PM
    Here's my take on what the possibilities are, and what benefits and challenges come with them.

http://www.imore.com/2012/05/17/4-inch-iphone/
    I have to say Rene it was not too long ago you were pretty emphatic that the iPhone would NOT get a larger screen and that there was no possibility of it. Yes things do change rapidly in the world of technology . . . even Apple has to answer to the changes.
    06-01-2012 04:45 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD