So let's say there was some talk inside Apple of eliminating the Home button. Let's say this has been in discussion for a while and has been worked on in the labs, and has had gestures experimented on in iOS as a way to navigate without it. Let's say it's remained in the lab alongside a bunch of other concepts and prototypes and obviously hasn't been released in any consumer facing device yet. Let's just say all that.

If a future iPhone were to come out without a Home button, which of these options would you prefer?

1. Same sized device with bezel/case gestures to handle navigation (like the Palm Pre)
    2. Longer screen, approaching 16:9, to show more listview items
    3. Bigger screen but same aspect ratio screen, with the bezel/casing reduced to keep package size down
    4. Same size screen with the casing shrunk to make a smaller overall device

Keeping in mind that Apple is going to want to make as usable a device as possible, and it's tough to see them doing anything that would break app compatibility, where would you like to see them go?
    04-11-2012 12:25 PM
    the one with the Home Button looks very awkward

i like the one on the right, for sure
    04-11-2012 12:42 PM
    Shorter one looks the best IMHO
    04-11-2012 03:25 PM
    I say number 3.
    04-11-2012 07:14 PM
    I like the second one, but I thought it's going to be a whole new design, so these essentially "stretched" iPhone 4/4s-looking devices is kinda mute.
    04-11-2012 08:15 PM
    +1 for the second one. In my opinion, it makes better use of the available screen real estate.

Just Me, D
    (Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)
    04-11-2012 08:30 PM
    If the second one is more proportional in that the area where the home button would be is equal to the area of the earpiece, light sensor, and FaceTime camera, then I choose that one. Just my $0.02
    04-11-2012 09:19 PM
    the one with the Home Button looks very awkward

i like the one on the right, for sure
    Agree I can't see them making it long and skinny like that, it just looks very awkward
    04-11-2012 09:35 PM
    I'd like to see the home button go away. As an Android ROMMer, and former Crackberry abuser, I'd like to have a physical way of shutting down unresponsive apps (eg, pulling battery) or performing a hard reset (home button and power button at same time). If we had other means to force a reset without a physical home button, that would be great. Maybe power button and volume toggles?

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?u5ydb4
    04-11-2012 09:41 PM
    Apple will not make a physically shorter device. Consumers will feel that they are paying the same for less [phone].

I would love to see the home button replaced by a gesture area, but the discover ability will be nil, so I don't hold my breath.

Also I don't see them taking the home button away - it's a recipe for a (casual) user rebellion.

And as for the freakishly tall phone - if this thing goes into production and it's the only device on the market, my next upgrade will be to the 4S. It will be different if they start a "new" product category and call it the "iPhablet"
    Last edited by iDonev; 04-12-2012 at 04:01 AM.
    04-12-2012 03:56 AM
    Rene must be reading my mind with that second picture.
    04-12-2012 09:46 AM
    I like the idea of the same size device with a larger screen via the absence of a home button.
    04-12-2012 10:05 AM
    I would choose option 1
    04-12-2012 10:10 AM
    Second picture. Hands down. I've never liked the home button on an iPhone. Ever.
    04-12-2012 11:17 AM
    They might make the iPhone shorter, but not like how you've done it.

The bezel at the top and the bottom would have to be of equal size. Apple have a real thing for bezel symmetry. And I have to agree with them, watching a video in landscape with the screen off center would be just weird.
    04-12-2012 04:19 PM
    With how many issues people seem to have with the longetivity of the home button it would make sense for them to eliminate it to save money in the long run.
    04-13-2012 02:15 PM
    I agree, it would eliminate a known problem with home buttons failing, free up space for more battery and with a new smaller connector (if true) that would be even better. Plus its time for Apple to move to a touch enable home button and get rid of the single point of failure.

They could create a different multi button method to reset if the physical home button was gone. Like hold down power and Volume Up/Down all together and it resets the phone.
    04-13-2012 04:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD