iPhone 5: No to big screen, yes to LTE

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
What I've noticed is that if you put a bumper on your iPhone, it makes is look and feel bigger than it really is. Plus, you keep the same screen size, so your apps are in perfect scale, and your fingers can touch the screen without issue.

I use a Speck case, my iPhone looks the same size as my friend who uses a bumper. Apps look the same with a case or a bumper, IMHO.

Adawg1203

May 9, 2011
Visit site
What's so great about LTE?

Its 10 times faster than 3g and even more in therory. It has extremely low latency which is a key element and huge difference.

What's that mean to us? Streaming video without delay for one and a sleuth of other capabilities.

Adawg1203

May 9, 2011
Visit site
If most people can't get a signal with 3G everywhere, what makes them think that they'll be able to get LTE?

VZ's 4G network will mimic there 3G network (eventually). The last I checked there 3G service was about as far reaching as you could get. They have been aggressively rolling out 4G services, hands down faster, than even there biggest rival, ATT.

ATT is just now getting on board with LTE rollouts and soon Sprint will start there massive build. Although, Sprint is in a much worse situation (financially) than VZ or ATT who can afford to be much, much, more aggressive with there plans.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Its 10 times faster than 3g and even more in therory. It has extremely low latency which is a key element and huge difference.

What's that mean to us? Streaming video without delay for one and a sleuth of other capabilities.

Streaming video on LTE is great, until you eat up your 2GB (or 4GB w/ double data on Verizon) in a week or so then its overageville and $10 a Gig more. Fortunately I still have unlimited data but one has to wonder how long Verizon will allow that to stay around on your contract.

Adawg1203

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Streaming video on LTE is great, until you eat up your 2GB (or 4GB w/ double data on Verizon) in a week or so then its overageville and $10 a Gig more. Fortunately I still have unlimited data but one has to wonder how long Verizon will allow that to stay around on your contract.

Agreed. I think all the service providers will have to figure out very quickly what the appropriate data packages should be when it comes to LTE service. It's clear unlimited data is too much to offer and 2gb is too little of an offering. Hopefully, they find the sweet spot before, I have to give up my unlimited data plans.

Pirate

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
I agree 100%. I have large hands and the 3.5" screen just doesn't cut it anymore. It drives me nuts that the general thinking seems to be "Apple has thought this out, and they know best." This statement always seems to imply that anyone who wants a bigger screen is wrong, which Apple can never be. Perhaps they don't have enough large handed individuals in their company (take that for just what it says, I'm not implying anything, there is no intended double meaning). I had a Droid X for a little while, and that screen size was perfect. The phone was terrible, but the screen size was just right for me. I've heard many people make the argument (and I think it's true) that very little iPhone usage is actually as a phone anymore. That eliminates the argument that, "People look ridiculous with those huge things held up to their face." Who cares? I wish the iPad had phone capabilities so I could just carry one iOS device around. And yes, I'm dead serious. I've got headphones I can use for calls, and it would eliminate the issues I have with small screen size. 3.5" might be the "right size" for most people, but there is a large contingent out there that could use something larger. Ultimately, it's not a deal breaker for me. I have no interest in going back to Android or moving to Blackberry, but I'd at least like to see Apple consider a change in this one area.

Just out of curiosity, how does one not get good battery life? I'd seriously like to know how much one would have to use their phone to experience bad battery life. And what is bad battery life for an iPhone 4S? Everyone I know has Android phones, and their phones are dead by mid-afternoon, and again by the end of a night. If it's a weekend, and we're going out for an evening, they'd have to charge it again before we leave. I can easily get two days on my iPhone.

You can use line2 app to make calls from your iPod touch, iPad, and iPhone. Check it out.

SockRolid

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
My wish list for the "new iPhone":

Things I think are pretty likely:
- Slightly increased screen size (3.9" max)
- Same pixel geometry
- Metal back (most likely aluminum)
- Reduced screen bezel width on long edges
- LTE connectivity
- Mini dock connector

Things I think are less likely:
- MagSafe mini dock connector
- LiquidMetal back enclosure
- Inductive charging
- NFC for e-wallet purchases
- Thinner form factor (despite LTE battery hit)

Things I think are unlikely:
- Quad-core ARM

dwayne.williams

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I don't want a larger screen size. I like the size of the iPhone. I also don't want to see a new dock connector. That would screw up all of my accessories. LTE would be expected. A quad core CPU and maybe a bump in the camera. That would make the iPhone 5 perfect for me. I am getting tired of the oversized phones. They are great for watching videos and web pages, but for everything else they are too big. If I want to view multimedia on a bigger screen I will use my iPad.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

dublex

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I don't want a larger screen size. I like the size of the iPhone. I also don't want to see a new dock connector. That would screw up all of my accessories. LTE would be expected. A quad core CPU and maybe a bump in the camera. That would make the iPhone 5 perfect for me. I am getting tired of the oversized phones. They are great for watching videos and web pages, but for everything else they are too big. If I want to view multimedia on a bigger screen I will use my iPad.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

I never understood the purpose for bigger screened phones. It makes the device way too awkward to hold. I was using my friends HTC One X and held it up to my face to simulate a phone call. Instantly, my hand started to cramp up. Now if Apple could but in a bigger screen while keeping the phone the same size as the iPhone 4 / 4S, that would be PERFECT. And I'm sure everyone would agree. I just don't know how realistic that may be.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Like i've said every other time an iPhone has been released...im content with the screen size, and would much rather have a legitimate battery life increase vs. a bigger screen.

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
If companies never changed, and never added new features, we'd all still be using Motorola Star-Tacs, or carrying our cell phones around in briefcases.

I've used phones with 4" screens that were no bigger than an iPhone, they just didn't have the massive, wasteful bezels that the iPhone has. Just about every app can be made better/more useful with a larger screen, and I don't think anybody wants or expects Apple to come out with some ridiculously big 5" screen like some of the competition. 4" really is perfect.

Apple really needs to step it up on the hardware side this year, with iOS falling to the back of the pack, the hardware better be revolutionary. As good as Android 4.1 and the latest Galaxy 3 are, I can't even imagine what they'll be pumping out in the next 6-10 months, the iPhone 5 will have to stay competitive until Fall 2013. It's already lost it's cool factor, and most people I know don't even have a new iPhone on their radar, compared to 2-3 years ago when everybody had to have one. I think fanboys forget that the general population isn't brand loyal like them, look at how quick people dropped Blackberry, if Apple lets the iPhone stagnate, people will drop it too.

brucep1

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Like i've said every other time an iPhone has been released...im content with the screen size, and would much rather have a legitimate battery life increase vs. a bigger screen.

How about both?

I think it would be a mistake to launch with a battery that only matches that of the current 4/4s. They need to go big with this release.

Bigger screen, twice the battery, LTE.

*High hopes over here

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
How about both?

I think it would be a mistake to launch with a battery that only matches that of the current 4/4s. They need to go big with this release.

Bigger screen, twice the battery, LTE.

*High hopes over here

Don't take my comments wrong...I'd love to have a bigger screen and a better battery and LTE and a partridge in a pear tree. My approach isn't that i do NOT want a larger screen, it's just that it's not a make or break situation because I'm happy with the phone's size as it is right now.

Larry Pager

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Apple really needs to step it up on the hardware side this year, with iOS falling to the back of the pack, the hardware better be revolutionary. As good as Android 4.1 and the latest Galaxy 3 are, I can't even imagine what they'll be pumping out in the next 6-10 months, the iPhone 5 will have to stay competitive until Fall 2013. It's already lost it's cool factor, and most people I know don't even have a new iPhone on their radar, compared to 2-3 years ago when everybody had to have one. I think fanboys forget that the general population isn't brand loyal like them, look at how quick people dropped Blackberry, if Apple lets the iPhone stagnate, people will drop it too.

I think iOS 6 has a lot of neat features. Does it have the flash of Android? No. But to me it seems like they thought about what features to put in. Android can sometimes feel that they took the shotgun approach to features. Yes they can come up with some amazing ideas where you think, "Why didn't Apple think of this?" But that's Android- move at hyperfast speed, try all kinds of things and leave the bad ideas (mainly) and the past behind.

The iPhone is still very relevant. And still cool among the general public. I feel that among techies it's beginning to lose its luster a bit, but for everybody else, it's still hot.

It has been the king. But I will admit that this is the first year that an Android handset has a real chance at becoming an "iPhone killer". The Android fanboys have been harping that their phones are all iPhone killers. Not really. They get closer, but the S3 is the first actual competitor. If Samsung keeps this up, the S4 will really be the one to eat into iPhone sales.

mountainman

May 9, 2011
Visit site
If companies never changed, and never added new features, we'd all still be using Motorola Star-Tacs, or carrying our cell phones around in briefcases.

I've used phones with 4" screens that were no bigger than an iPhone, they just didn't have the massive, wasteful bezels that the iPhone has. Just about every app can be made better/more useful with a larger screen, and I don't think anybody wants or expects Apple to come out with some ridiculously big 5" screen like some of the competition. 4" really is perfect.

I didn't know a phone could loose its cool factor before it's released.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2