iPhone 5: No to big screen, yes to LTE

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I agree with that. Battery and LTE will dictate some sort of physical change and I can't see the design change being wasted if there is indeed room for a screen bump. Apple doesn't use the same size screens as anyone else so I would expect it to be 3.9" instead of 4" so that the ppi formula works for them.

DaPhoneking

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I agree with that. Battery and LTE will dictate some sort of physical change and I can't see the design change being wasted if there is indeed room for a screen bump. Apple doesn't use the same size screens as anyone else so I would expect it to be 3.9" instead of 4" so that the ppi formula works for them.

Given the design of the new iPad's display, I'm sure the technology will work it's way down to the next iPhone, regardless of actual screen size. I wouldn't be surprised if they developed a way to make the pixel microns even smaller.

anon(231010)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I don't usually post, but here's something I've been thinking about in regards to the bigger screen/not retina display argument.
Apple said that people hold their 3.5" phone about 12" away from their face and that 300 ppi is the magic number for pixels to be indistinguishable right? Then the iPad came around and it's at what? 260-something ppi? but their argument is that you're holding the iPad a further distance away because it's bigger.

Using that logic, wouldn't you hold a 4" screened phone slightly farther away than a 3.5" screened phone? So they could still get away with a ~290 ppi (or whatever the number is) by saying that most people hold it at 16" away from their face and at THAT distance, 290 is the magic number.

just a thought...bigger screen, still stays retina, everyone's happy. no?

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Here is something for those complaining a 4" screen would make the device huge and unusable. My co-worker has a Moto Atrix with a 4" screen.

Atrix Dimensions VS. iPhone 4/4S Dimensions
H 117.5mm VS. H 115.2mm
W 63.5mm VS. W 58.6mm
D 10.95mm VS. D 9.30mm

So if Motorola can manage to get a 4" display into a phone that adds a mere 2.3mm x 4.9mm x 1.65mm then how is it Apple isn't able to do some equally impressive magic.

First thing is replace the home button which takes up way too much space at the bottom and is a point of failure and second is the charging/dock connector. Seems simple enough given Apples ability to maximize space.

Last edited:

Link

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Why wait until October to release it? A 4G iPhone should already be available now... I hope they release it in June.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
If most people can't get a signal with 3G everywhere, what makes them think that they'll be able to get LTE?

LTE is rolling out fairly quickly and honestly I don't remember the last time I was somewhere where I did not get 3G let alone HSPA+.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
i too guessed that the launch would be approx the fall(Oct.) sometime--that seems to be Apple's pattern the last couple of releases.

As for the screen, i'm petite so a larger screen to me is not necessary, BUT maybe just a teeny tiny bigger i wouldnt mind either. I'm not due for an upgrade till mid 2013 anyway. As for LTE, call me crazy, but i'm really not that worried if this is an option or not. If i'm not mistaken, arent the data plans for an LTE device more? :confused: (i know little about lte)

What i'm definately interested in is if the iphone 5,1 has changed its shape/form overall.

Last edited:

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
If the screen does get a bump I would expect something below 4" given Apple's focus on not conforming to the what everyone else does. The fact that there is a new article up here (and other blogs) about Apple working on a controller for iPhone/iTouch/iPad for gaming would indicate that they know the screen is too small for comfortable use when gaming. Even I don't want a 4.5-5" screen I am looking for something edge to edge better use of the available physical size not a bigger phone.

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
What I've noticed is that if you put a bumper on your iPhone, it makes is look and feel bigger than it really is. Plus, you keep the same screen size, so your apps are in perfect scale, and your fingers can touch the screen without issue.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro