If the iPhone 5 ended up looking like the original iPhone...

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It depends on the specs and other things it may offer. I'm a person who's stated on numerous occasions that if Blackberry offered today's technological advances in a 7290 shell, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. The keyboard on that series was the best ever made, in *my* opinion.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
ha! my first reaction after reading this title was "Hell No" but then after i was done wiping the kool-aid off my chin i realized of course. of course i will :rolleyes:

Sonlon

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
If the new iPhone was basically a replica of the original iPhone, would you buy it?

I believe iPhone 4S, iPhone 4 and iPhone 3G are all the phone which basically from the original iPhone, so I don't think it can affect people to buy the new iPhone.

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
There's a possibility right? Whenever you've reached the height of your success, you always go back to your roots? That usually happens right after the 4th release of something.

Bias X

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Ive stated it before and I'll state it again. I prefer the feel of the original iPhone and 3G to the current. Does it look better? Debatable, but the general consensus would be no. Is it as classy? Same as the last.
But gosh darn it, it feels amazing in my hands.
So yes, yes I would.

Motorbones

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
To care what it looks like above what can it do does not compute!!! Function should always come before form (Hmmm... sounds familiar),,,

richard_rsp

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I'd likely buy it, but there would be a greater chance of device-migration before contract end.
I have an iPhone 4 and I have already started looking at other smartphones. I actually bought (but returned) a Droid RAZR because I am bored with the iPhone style (both in screen size, wanting of 4G, and a different interface). The iPhone 4s (and honestly even the iphone 4) processor, screen resolution, and camera are all satisfactory, so if it does look the same, I dont really know what else they would improve on to make it desirable enough for a 2 year contract.

While I dont think the software interface will change much, refreshing the physical design a bit would at least make people feel like they have something new... I would think for people who arent tech-heads, if the iPhone5 looks the same, there would be little reason to update to it.

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I'd likely buy it, but there would be a greater chance of device-migration before contract end.
...(snipped)...
I agree that some people would migrate to another mobile platform, however, a majority, in my opinion, would continue their support of Apple if only because of their investment into its ecosystem. Furthermore, if the specs and features are desirable, many current IPhone users will indeed fork over the money to get it. ;)

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPad 2)

richard_rsp

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I agree that some people would migrate to another mobile platform, however, a majority, in my opinion, would continue their support of Apple if only because of their investment into its ecosystem. Furthermore, if the specs and features are desirable, many current IPhone users will indeed fork over the money to get it. ;)

Perhaps. While some might feel they are too invested to switch, I have had an iPod touch, iPad, iPad2, an iMac and an iPhone 4 (so you can imagine I have a few iOS apps/accessories) and I still felt the desire to switch out of boredom; I'm sure I am not the only one.

When I shell out $200+ and a 2 year contract for a new phone, I expect it to be different from the one I previously had (I would imagine most of the population feels the same). While bazillion-core processors and super resolution screens can go a long way, I feel it will only go so far before its a numbers war instead of providing actual benefits. The iPhone 4S is super fast, has a fantastic camera, and I don't see people really ditching their current phones if the iPhone 5 doesn't have a noticeable difference in form or function. If all Apple does is LTE and a Mhz spec jump, do you think non-technical people will even notice (unless they are the type of person that just HAS to have the "best available")?

Yes, I'm sure some people got rid of their iPhone4 for Siri, faster processor, and the 8mp camera on the iPhone4S, but I didnt because it wasn't different enough for me to justify the extra cash - i decided to wait on the iPhone 5, hoping for a something different/better; Not just a "improved rehash' of the same old thing.

We need an iPhone 5, not an iPhone 4S II or an iPhone Classic S....

Last edited:

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
The thing about the iPhone though is no matter what color they change it to, it's always going to be the same anyway. They really only have 3 colors to choose from, 4 if you count silvery chrome. And that's Black, White and Grey.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I actually like the look of the 3gs more than the 4/4s so if they went with a similar design to that for the new iphone and no glass I would like it better.

jburke82

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I have always loved the look of the original, and the look and feel of the 3g/3gs. I have seen a couple concepts that were put together using the aluminum (?) back like the original, and they look pretty good.

cooknn

May 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm reading that Steve Jobs was very involved with the design of the forthcoming iPhone. I would assume that he worked side by side with Jonathan Ive. There was probably a conversation between the two of them something like this "It's already perfect. Why should we change the design, just for the sake of change?"

I'm writing this post on my Power Mac G5 that I bought back in 2003. The case design has not changed (with the exception of an additional optical drive bay) in almost 10 years ;)

MrJDCurtis

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Ive stated it before and I'll state it again. I prefer the feel of the original iPhone and 3G to the current. Does it look better? Debatable, but the general consensus would be no. Is it as classy? Same as the last.
But gosh darn it, it feels amazing in my hands.
So yes, yes I would.

Exactly! I like the feel of the first one too.

I'm not saying I want that to happen, but if it did I wouldn't mind. I'd still buy it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods