View Poll Results: What will it take in order for you to upgrade?

Voters
109. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bigger display

46 42.20%
  • Quad core CPU

7 6.42%
  • Improved camera

3 2.75%
  • Other - see my post below for details!

17 15.60%
  • All of the above!

36 33.03%
    Ok so I know that you know that I know that you know what the screen size will be. So that's what I want and some sort of form factor change.

So to the OP what's the display size going to be?? I know that you know!!
    I'll tell you right now, 3.5 inches, with a re-designed case, same old home button and front glass, some minor internal spec boosts, and iOS 6 with some minor tweaks. Sorry, but if anyone expects anything big from Apple, they are dreaming..

Millions of people will buy it, but not me, my money goes to the company that truly innovates in 2012, not rests on past success..
    03-04-2012 08:33 PM
    I am holding out for the new iPhone. I want a bigger display, dual/quad core, more ram and 10 meg pixel camera. I held off getting the i4S to wait for the newer version. I also hope it has LTE/4G. I and my wife both are waiting for this. I am really excited and it is hard to wait but for now I am more than happy with my i4. To me the i4S was not a upgrade worth missing out on the next version. I just hope it is released in June or July and not October or November. But still going to wait.
    03-13-2012 07:49 PM
    I'll tell you right now, 3.5 inches, with a re-designed case, same old home button and front glass, some minor internal spec boosts, and iOS 6 with some minor tweaks. Sorry, but if anyone expects anything big from Apple, they are dreaming..

Millions of people will buy it, but not me, my money goes to the company that truly innovates in 2012, not rests on past success..
    So what is exactly innovative in the smartphone world? What's out there that already hasn't been done? What would be groundbreaking to the scene?
    03-13-2012 09:22 PM
    So what is exactly innovative in the smartphone world? What's out there that already hasn't been done? What would be groundbreaking to the scene?
    The iPhone 4 was innovative and groundbreaking, the 4s was not, there is always room for improvement and innovation, when you stop, you become BlackBerry. Think about it, where can Apple go from the 4/4s? I can think of many things, some of these things are already being done by the competition. I really do not want to be forced to get a phone from anyone other than Apple, but if they stop innovating then oh well. Apple also has more talented minds working for them, and more cash than any company on the planet, so yes, I expect a little innovation and things never seen before. They've done it before and they can do it again.
    Last edited by redbeard; 03-14-2012 at 03:52 AM.
    Ariyala likes this.
    03-14-2012 03:49 AM
    Honestly, was the iPhone ever really "cutting edge"? Think about it. When all the Android guys were making their screens larger, bumping processor speed and introducing 4G, iPhone was always just....well....there. They didn't compete by following in the footsteps of those companies. They stuck to their roots and made phones and an iOS that just plain WORKS. As an Android guy, my opinion was the iPhone was antiquated. I didn't make the jump earlier because of it. I thought of Apple as the company who made the computer I used for work and hated. But I got sick of my home PC always updating, crashing, and getting viruses. So I got a Mac, and love it. Then, I got tired of my Droid turning off for no reason, overheating, apps crashing or working slowly, and despite the processor speed, it seemed slow. So I switched to iPhone, and I'll never go back after seeing how flawlessly it operates for me.
    The thing about innovation is a company making something that WORKS instead of churning out crap year after year that has so many issues you want to chuck it out the window. Small updates to change things like allowing you to delete individual photos in the stream shows they listen to their users and try to adapt to make people happy. Their customer service proves that. Try getting the same level of service from Dell or Motorola like you get at the Genius Bar or over the phone. Innovation doesn't always means making the same crap your competition turns out. It means being different but making sure you have a quality product to begin with.
    DaPhoneking likes this.
    03-14-2012 08:17 AM
    Quad-core CPU
    LTE
    32GB, 64GB, and 128GB sizes
    03-23-2012 08:47 AM
    I chose bigger display, still want and need a 4" display, if they can rework the phsyical device size and get the bigger display then I'm cool with that. I would have selected all of the above, but quad core isn't a big demand for me, LTE wasn't listed and while we are clearly expecting it nothing is a given and Apple could easily roll out yet another 3G only iPhone and the masses will still buy it (sad but true).

So LTE, bump in screen, remove the home button and perhaps save a small amount of space at the bottom for a slide to home feature
    03-25-2012 11:28 AM
    I don't like Sprint's rules, that's why I have 2 lines!

I would upgrade no matter what it has. I have an extra line just so I can get a new iPhone every year.
    I'm not sure that I understand that concept... The extra line is at a minimum $10/month = $240 on a 2 year contract (plus taxes)... and the required data plans are $25-30/month = $600+ on a 2 year contract (plus tax)... so that's a minimum of $840 plus tax to get a $300 discount on the phone... and that doesn't include a texting plan...

What am I missing here?
    03-25-2012 12:07 PM
    It's a huge deal because for some people who cannot waste time checking their phones for one reason or another, just being able to glance at the phone to see if we need to go through the act of picking up our phones is a big time/battery saver. And can be a safety issue depending on what you're doing.

Do you not see what you just wrote? You just highlighted the problem, people are constantly checking their iPhones over and over and over again needlessly because there is no notification light to let you know you need to check for missed notifications!! With a notification light, you can just glance at the phone to see if you need to check it in the first place, saving wear and tear on the home button, and saving battery life since you'd no longer need to power up the phone gazillions of times a day to see if you missed something.

That makes no sense, how is it quicker to stop what you're doing, pick up the phone, and press the power/home button, than it is to just glance at the phone? Especially if you cannot just do so at work whenever you please so you have to wait, and do so needlessly if their isn't a missed call/message? With a notification light I'd no longer have to worry about it and not have to stop and check my phone constantly which is driving me nuts.

I think that's because you aren't actually considering what people are asking for when they talk about notification lights.

Apple's new notification center is great once you're in it, however, there's no way of knowing you have a missed notification unless you open it up, making it pretty half ***. A notification light and statusbar icon are necessary additions.
    OMG... here we go again... {running for cover under my desk}
    03-25-2012 12:07 PM
    I'm not sure that I understand that concept... The extra line is at a minimum $10/month = $240 on a 2 year contract (plus taxes)... and the required data plans are $25-30/month = $600+ on a 2 year contract (plus tax)... so that's a minimum of $840 plus tax to get a $300 discount on the phone... and that doesn't include a texting plan...

What am I missing here?
    He may transfer the upgrade from the secondary line to his primary line. He could also have a non-smartphone as the add a line for $9.99 a month just so he can get the upgrade.
    03-26-2012 01:32 PM
    Why cant an iphone have option of memory card witha blutooth transfer facility and a direct download of any file to the memory, that can increase the sale of iphone

04-07-2012 11:05 AM
    Bigger screen..After having the original EVO, I've been spoiled and would like a bigger screen on the next iPhone
    04-12-2012 10:36 AM
    Would love to get a bigger display. As of now I'm happy with the camera.
    04-16-2012 06:22 AM
    I love my ancient Siri-challenged iPhone 4 (from June 23, 2010), but it's time for an upgrade. I'm 99.9% committed to getting this year's iPhone. (Unless Apple does something insane like making them only in hot pink or adding a sliding keyboard or something...)

I still think Apple will keep the new iPhone about the same size overall as the 4/4S, but stretch the screen slightly and make the "bezel" on the longer edges thinner. 3.9" max. But no, I doubt Apple will change the aspect ratio to 1152x640. That would be an enormous pain for every single developer out there. I think it'll stay 960x640.
    04-19-2012 01:31 PM
    I'd need LTE coupled with a big enough battery to make it through the day without charging.
    I totally agree! 4G like the new iPad will make this phone a real hot seller and I will totally buy! I use tethering on a regular basis and this would be a great advantage.
    05-12-2012 05:41 PM
    I will upgrade no matter what because I'm currently using the iPhone 3GS. I could upgrade today to the 4S, but why do that when the next iteration is right around the corner?

Some of the things I think would be really great though:

• Durable design
    • More RAM (1GB)
    • 10 Megapixel camera
    • A better front facing camera
    • Better speakers (Beats Audio?)
    • Better camera position on the back. Its current position can cause shadowing on pictures depending on how you hold the phone.
    • Glowing apple logo!!!
    • It would be great to see a battery that can last 36 hours with moderate use.

I'd still be happy if we only got a few of the things listed above.
    05-18-2012 02:38 PM
    Bigger screen, better battery life, LTE, better camera, turn by turn directions w/ Siri.
    05-18-2012 02:50 PM
    What is wrong with the camera on the 4S? I find that it takes exceptional photos and the 8MP is more than enough, in my opinion.

Just Me, D
    (Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)
    05-18-2012 03:06 PM
    Better camera (specifically low-light, better flash), LTE, bigger battery
    05-18-2012 03:59 PM
    I voted "other". I will upgrade if my 4S stops working, at which point I might just go back to a regular old phone. I'm tired of paying AT&T for my "unlimited" data.
    Last edited by BrindawithanI; 05-22-2012 at 04:32 PM.
    05-22-2012 04:30 PM
    I voted other because:

1) my upgrade isnt due till mid 2013 (and i refuse to pay full price for ANY phone in mid-contract)
    2) i plan on going as long as i can with my 4S, and as long as the new iPhone(5?) doesnt have any new features that i absolutely have to have, i will just wait it out.

i've never been the type to 'need' the latest and greatest as far as smartphones goes-if what i have works for me and i'm happy, which is most important, then thats all that matter to me
    05-23-2012 08:48 AM
    Truthfully, a lot will depend if I can still sell my current iPhone 4S for the upgrade cost. With the new carriers now having the iPhone, I don't know what that will do to reselling costs. Previously, when a new upgrade came out, I would sell my phone for the cost of upgrading to a new one. If I can't do that anymore, that will be a big factor in determining whether I upgrade or not.

Otherwise, assuming there is ANYTHING better, I will upgrade.

Chris
    05-23-2012 12:18 PM
    Yet another delay with BlackBerry 10 is what's getting me to look seriously at the next version of the iPhone or whatever high end Android device maybe out in the fall. I'm leaning more towards the iPhone though, simply because of my familiarity with iOS and its ecosystem.
    06-30-2012 01:50 PM
    Verizon LTE compatible.
    Agreed. That will make it a must have for me.
    07-08-2012 04:55 PM
    Just a faster processor. That's all I ask for. 4G LTE will be there and also be amazing.
    07-08-2012 08:10 PM
77 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD