A bigger iPhone

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I hope that much improved phone includes a notification light. As much as I like Apple, I have to admit Android OS is way ahead of Apple in many areas. Since we seem to have gotten just about everything people were looking for with iOS5, I really hope iOS 6 brings us widgets finally.

I don't care what they make it look like or if they redesign the shell, give me a bigger screen, or at the very least a notification light and widgets. I didn't buy a 4S because I don't see any reason too, I'll only buy the 5 if it has 2 of the 3 improvements I mentioned in any combination.:cool:

If it's just a cosmetic case change, and another spec bump, with the same stale ui, and no real challenge to the competition I'll pass.:(

I respect your opinion but to say the Android OS is better than iOS or vice versus is just pointless. Right now all I know about it what's going on with the iPhone hardware. I have zero idea about what iOS 6 will bring to the table.

And to everyone saying Apple needs to do this or needs to do that... you must have very short memory spands as it's the same song we heard from you not long ago and look what happened. Apple will do enough (perhaps even satisfy you) to make the next phone sell even better. I promise you. Take it for what it's worth.

Last edited:

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
And to everyone saying Apple needs to do this or needs to do that... you must have very short memory spands as it's the same song we heard from you not long ago and look what happened. Apple will do enough (perhaps even satisfy you) to make the next phone sell even better. I promise you. Take it for what it's worth.

I get your point, but I wouldn't say my memory is bad, yet. ;) It's just that all I seem to read about on other forums that include iOS and Android is how many new features were added to the newer Androids, and how nice the hardware is. Ever seen some of the newer screens on the Androids? They are much brighter and the text easier to read than before. Even though the iPhone already has a clear, and easy to read screen, it is still long overdue for an increase in size.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I get your point, but I wouldn't say my memory is bad, yet. ;) It's just that all I seem to read about on other forums that include iOS and Android is how many new features were added to the newer Androids, and how nice the hardware is. Ever seen some of the newer screens on the Androids? They are much brighter and the text easier to read than before. Even though the iPhone already has a clear, and easy to read screen, it is still long overdue for an increase in size.

I have a Galaxy Nexus. The "top" Android phone at the moment and the only one with the official ICS (latest software) and while it is a great phone the hardware does not come close to the iPhone in terms of build quality. The screen while it is nice and big and a better contrast - it is not better than the iPhone display. If you ask certain people who work on the products if the iPhone will we get a bigger screen, the answer you are likely to receive is "that's what an iPad is for". And back to Android phones, no matter which one I have I always go back to my iPhones. iOS is just a more fluid and the hardware is top notch. (just my opinion people, not looking to debate)

Last edited:

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
The next phone will look different and be much improved. Trust me. And if you think the Nexus would be selling anywhere near iPhone numbers, I don't know what to tell you. Just would not happen.

Look how well the galaxy s 2 sold with how many android phones are out there and yes if there was only 3-4 androids sales would increase dramatically. I mean if they can sell 10+ million when there are hundreds of similar phones out there that says something..

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Look how well the galaxy s 2 sold with how many android phones are out there and yes if there was only 3-4 androids sales would increase dramatically. I mean if they can sell 10+ million when there are hundreds of similar phones out there that says something..

It's likely if Android was one phone it would never have taken off. For instance look how well the first Android (G1) phone sold... Now compare that to the original iPhone sales.

Adawg1203

May 9, 2011
Visit site
It's likely if Android was one phone it would never have taken off. For instance look how well the first Android (G1) phone sold... Now compare that to the original iPhone sales.

Well I believe the Original Moto Droid (verizon exclusive) was the one device that breathed new life into the android platform. It also brought Motorola back from the dead.

_heatherly

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
The iPhone is the perfect size. I can understand maybe a slight, slight increase. But I honestly don't like the giant Androids and I certainly do not want the iPhone to be one of those giant phones. I love that it's sleek, minimalistic, and the perfect size for my hand. In fact, I adore the 4/4S design and really don't want that to change too much. I'd be happy with internal upgrades only instead of a complete aesthetic redesign.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
The iPhone is the perfect size. I can understand maybe a slight, slight increase. But I honestly don't like the giant Androids and I certainly do not want the iPhone to be one of those giant phones. I love that it's sleek, minimalistic, and the perfect size for my hand. In fact, I adore the 4/4S design and really don't want that to change too much. I'd be happy with internal upgrades only instead of a complete aesthetic redesign.

I wouldn't want the screen to increase to the point that the iPhone becomes Samsung Skyrocket in size, but I do think Apple could still increase it to 4" and still maintain the iPhones overall slim appearance. :)

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Well I believe the Original Moto Droid (verizon exclusive) was the one device that breathed new life into the android platform. It also brought Motorola back from the dead.

For sure, I agree with that. Still didn't bring in anywhere close to iPhone numbers though. (sorry had to include that) :p

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
I respect your opinion but to say the Android OS is better than iOS or vice versus is just pointless. Right now all I know about it what's going on with the iPhone hardware. I have zero idea about what iOS 6 will bring to the table.

Not better, I said it's better in some areas, look at the new browser they have, or compare Apple's maps app to Google nav, or their widgets. Apple is clearly outclassed in some areas.

True for those that bought it, my contract was up, I chose not buy the 4S as for me it is a very very minor update of the iPhone 4, so that's one sale they lost, how long can that go on? Eventually things will change, maybe it will take years, who knows, I think Apple certainly is world's better than Blackberry ever was, doesn't mean they can't fall into the same trap though. When I think forward 3 years, we'll be talking about iOS 9.0, if it's still the same as it is now, with a hundred different functions being operated by that poor home button, and the stale os, I see it being taken over and dominated by the Android os. At the rate things are going I believe if Apple keeps up with the same pace, Android will leapfrog iOS and not look back. Just look at how long it will be since 5.0 came out to 5.1, all so Apple can add a delete picture option to Photostream, almost comical compared to what Android gets in that timeframe.

I hope I'm wrong, but this whole line of thinking that the iPhone is "perfect" so it never needs to change is exactly how Blackberry lost it's crown. The 3.5 inch screen size is "perfect", iOS is "perfect", etc.
There are things in which Apple is way ahead of the competition obviously, it just seems that the competition is in a race to beat them, and Apple seems to not realize they are being targeted.

_heatherly

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
redbeard, one person's perception of "perfect" may not be your perception of "perfect". For me, the iPhone is the perfect device and I love it the way it is.

However, I really hope they don't fall into the same trap as BlackBerry. I visit Crackberry every now and then and most of the BlackBerry users sound desperate over there, defending RIM and their outdated software. I don't want that to ever be us iPhone users. I hope Apple continues to innovate and revolutionize and I know that is going to require change. I'm open to change. :)

Sent from my iPhone4S using Tapatalk

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Not better, I said it's better in some areas, look at the new browser they have, or compare Apple's maps app to Google nav, or their widgets. Apple is clearly outclassed in some areas.

True for those that bought it, my contract was up, I chose not buy the 4S as for me it is a very very minor update of the iPhone 4, so that's one sale they lost, how long can that go on? Eventually things will change, maybe it will take years, who knows, I think Apple certainly is world's better than Blackberry ever was, doesn't mean they can't fall into the same trap though. When I think forward 3 years, we'll be talking about iOS 9.0, if it's still the same as it is now, with a hundred different functions being operated by that poor home button, and the stale os, I see it being taken over and dominated by the Android os. At the rate things are going I believe if Apple keeps up with the same pace, Android will leapfrog iOS and not look back. Just look at how long it will be since 5.0 came out to 5.1, all so Apple can add a delete picture option to Photostream, almost comical compared to what Android gets in that timeframe.

I hope I'm wrong, but this whole line of thinking that the iPhone is "perfect" so it never needs to change is exactly how Blackberry lost it's crown. The 3.5 inch screen size is "perfect", iOS is "perfect", etc.
There are things in which Apple is way ahead of the competition obviously, it just seems that the competition is in a race to beat them, and Apple seems to not realize they are being targeted.

Perfect is all relative. And to me there is no perfect device. Something can always be improved.

CH1N087

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
They really should go with a bigger screen... Even if it was only 3.7/3.8 I would still be happy. It just seems like there is so much free space on the front, then again I've completely torn apart my iPhone and know the space on the outside has nothing to do with the internal space hahaha... Man I destroyed my iPhone 4. White line across the top of the screen, the volume rocker and the silent/loud switch doesn't work.

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
redbeard, one person's perception of "perfect" may not be your perception of "perfect". For me, the iPhone is the perfect device and I love it the way it is.

However, I really hope they don't fall into the same trap as BlackBerry. I visit Crackberry every now and then and most of the BlackBerry users sound desperate over there, defending RIM and their outdated software. I don't want that to ever be us iPhone users. I hope Apple continues to innovate and revolutionize and I know that is going to require change. I'm open to change. :)

Sent from my iPhone4S using Tapatalk

I agree, I used to think the 3.5" screen was the perfect size, until I got a GPS app that could use a little more space, played certain games, etc.. After using a different phone with a 4" screen to watch a movie I've decided that 4" is the happy medium, not too big, not too small, and this phone was the same size of my iPhone, it just didn't have the huge bezel like the iPhone does. The added real estate of the 4" screen really did make a huge difference, if they could give us that, with the same 326+ ppi it would be amazing, and they wouldn't have to make the phone any larger either.

I hope Apple continues to innovate too, consumers might find aspects of their current phones "perfect", yet Apple as a company needs to always see room for improvement so that they stay on top, and I'm sure they do.

aceofspadesxx

Mar 4, 2012
Visit site
I just don't think that apple will follow the samsung way and make bigger phone (galaxy note)..i dont wanna cover my face while trying to reach people nor blocking my sight while driving and using the phone.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I just don't think that apple will follow the samsung way and make bigger phone (galaxy note)..i dont wanna cover my face while trying to reach people nor blocking my sight while driving and using the phone.

I can pretty much assure everyone Apple will never put out a smartphone as big as the Note. Ever.

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
It doesn't have to be one extreme or another, the Note has a 5.3 inch screen, a 4 inch screen could fit in the current iPhone chassis and would be 1.3 inches smaller still than the Note.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
It doesn't have to be one extreme or another, the Note has a 5.3 inch screen, a 4 inch screen could fit in the current iPhone chassis and would be 1.3 inches smaller still than the Note.

I agree with you, that's no secret. I've told you what I've heard so far. I double checked this weekend as well. Same answer. If I hear anything changes, I'll drop a note on the forums.

Reactions: redbeard

Arelunde

May 17, 2011
Visit site
I went from the Droid X with it's 4.3-inch screen to the iPhone4 a year ago. Even tho the iPhone screen is smaller, it's so easy to view that the size doesn't seem to be important - other than maps and a few apps, as a poster mentions here).

However, the iPhone4 (on iOS4.x) at that time was far behind the capabilities of the Droid X and I was very disappointed. Then came iOS5, which brought the iPhone into direct competition with androids.

By this time - less than a year after the DX launch - the Droid X was "ancient" and there were no less than 300 versions of the android-based devices - many on older operating systems. I opted for the Moto Bionic for it's LTE/4G right after release, and was dismayed when Motorola launched the Razr, then Razr Maxx, then another and another in quick succession - leaving the Bionic a troubled, issue-plagued disaster (IMO).

Two major factors keep me in the iPhone camp:
1 -- Apple's attempt to protect iDevice owners from malware
2 -- Google's loose security and willingness to provide Android owner-info to advertisers

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW