A bigger iPhone

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
Maybe I should have been more clear, same screen size. Again not 100% set in stone but as it stands right now, it is the same size.

After comparing my phone with an Android with a 4" inch screen I think 4" is the sweet spot, I really hope they don't stick with the same screen size again, 3.5 was great when there was no app store with thousands of games, turn by turn navigation, incredible photo and video editing apps, etc. The thing is, all the Apple fans are worried about the phone becoming larger, but the 4" screen phone I used was no bigger than my iPhone.

If the next iPhone doesn't have a bigger screen I hope it's got a boatload of other incredible new features, if it's just another 4S kind of upgrade that will be very disappointing. The iPhone 4 is still an amazing phone, I do believe that with the rate of technological improvements, and the fact that most people are on 2 year contracts, Apple really does wait to do major upgrades every 2 years. I first bought a 3G back in 08, didn't see much reason to buy a 3GS so I waited for the 4 which was a huge upgrade, passed on the 4S, so I see the 5 as the next big iPhone upgrade again. If they keep the same screen size I'd like to see the bezel reduced, and no more home button, and give us a notification light finally so it catches up to my 6 year old dumbphone that had one. I also expect nothing less than than a 4 core A6, 1 gig of ram, widgets, ui overhaul in iOS6, better camera, and some other mind blowing stuff I cannot even imagine. I don't care what people say here and on other pro-Apple websites, Android is getting better faster, and is quite impressive, and is available on pretty much whatever kind of phone you'd like. Apple needs to step it up to keep people like me around who aren't brand loyal and love high tech toys. I think my number 1 request after a bigger screen is that notification light, if it has one I'd buy it for certain:p

Last edited:

ArGiEs

Jan 23, 2010
Visit site
The phone doesn't need to get any bigger to make the screen slightly larger, there is so much bezel on the iPhone it's ridiculous, I hope they finally do away with the home button as well as it's over-used, unreliable, and Jobs wanted a button less phone anyways. The tech is good enough for a capacitive home button now, not only is my home button broken (only works half the time), it developed a hairline crack a couple weeks ago, just too much wear and tear.

Make it 4", give it a notification light, and capacitive home button and I'm in.

Exactly my thots!

Regards,
Bob
Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I think it was a bit troubling that Apple had to rely (and still is) on a gimmick (Siri) pretty much to market the 4S. But in doing so, they don't push the real strengths of the 4S. I'm seeing a lot of ignorance of iOS features lately from other smartphone users that i talk to.

C'mon, a .5" increase of the screen isn't going to revolutionize the iphone. We've already heard how Apple is in a spot with apps in regards to increasing res or screen size while maintaining their retina marketing that they don't push anymore. In addition, where does it end? Android users will claim the new "sweet spot" is 4.3" or 4.5" or 4.65." This is a battle Apple cannot win and should not engage in given the limitations and fragmentation it would impose on their chief strength. But it's up to Apple to market why the iphone is (no, remains) the perfect size.

iOS apps work best on the iphone at that size and resolution. You can talk about android all day but isn't the iOS experience still king? You increase that screen or bump the res some and that experience starts to take a hit. Apple starts to introduce android like fragmentation and they'll suffer for it.

Sure Apple needs to change up the looks of its hardware to keep it appealing to the masses, but if they want to keep me, then they have to focus on improving iOS, services, and ecosystem like Apple TV. They also need to market the heck out of the key advantages of all this. These sappy commercials of late are sapping the life out of them. It'd be be nice to see them get back to being Apple going up against the chaotic world of android. Half of all smartphone sales is android and continues to increase.

http://www.imore.com/2011/07/11/apple-releases-iphone-commercials-airplay-facetime/ Remember those "If you don't have an iphone" commercials? Where's the sequel to the "airplay" commercial? iOS 5 airplay mirroring anyone? According to Rene: (Of course, iOS 5 AirPlay mirroring will make a future commercial like that much, much more exciting?) Nope, we get lame marketing like this http://www.imore.com/2012/02/09/iphone-4s-siri-commercials-road-trip-call-rock-god/ (Rock God? Seriously? ) instead that they've been pushing since Oct 2011. I wonder if Jobs would've done things differently..

Last edited:

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
After comparing my phone with an Android with a 4" inch screen I think 4" is the sweet spot, I really hope they don't stick with the same screen size again, 3.5 was great when there was no app store with thousands of games, turn by turn navigation, incredible photo and video editing apps, etc. The thing is, all the Apple fans are worried about the phone becoming larger, but the 4" screen phone I used was no bigger than my iPhone.

If the next iPhone doesn't have a bigger screen I hope it's got a boatload of other incredible new features, if it's just another 4S kind of upgrade that will be very disappointing. The iPhone 4 is still an amazing phone, I do believe that with the rate of technological improvements, and the fact that most people are on 2 year contracts, Apple really does wait to do major upgrades every 2 years. I first bought a 3G back in 08, didn't see much reason to buy a 3GS so I waited for the 4 which was a huge upgrade, passed on the 4S, so I see the 5 as the next big iPhone upgrade again. If they keep the same screen size I'd like to see the bezel reduced, and no more home button, and give us a notification light finally so it catches up to my 6 year old dumbphone that had one. I also expect nothing less than than a 4 core A6, 1 gig of ram, widgets, ui overhaul in iOS6, better camera, and some other mind blowing stuff I cannot even imagine. I don't care what people say here and on other pro-Apple websites, Android is getting better faster, and is quite impressive, and is available on pretty much whatever kind of phone you'd like. Apple needs to step it up to keep people like me around who aren't brand loyal and love high tech toys. I think my number 1 request after a bigger screen is that notification light, if it has one I'd buy it for certain:p

This device will look different, there is no doubt about that. So no, it will not be a 4S like upgrade. Trust me I hope things change from now to the release but right now it is not headed in that direction.

Totalimmortal363

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
I agree the screen needs to be bigger. When you think about it they could add screen size without making the device much larger. The front of the iPhone has a lot of unused space just make it screen. Also, Apple is going to want a device that keeps pace, in screen size, with Samsung and Moto.
I believe once people actually experience the larger screen they will learn to love it just like the current one. Coming from android devices I really do miss the larger display.

If Apple does release something larger I know they will make it ergonomically comfortable.

No they wont want to do that. Name one phone that Motorola or Samsung makes that even approaches the sales numbers Apple enjoys. You cant.

Bob Sanders

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
The rumors about the same size make me sad. I have owned a 3GS, 4 and 4S and I simply don't see myself buying another phone of any kind under 4" in the case of the iPhone's 3:2 ratio or 4.3" in the case of 16:9 Android phones. I would love to see both 4.5" and 3.5" models of the new iPhone. I would sell an organ to buy a 4.5", 1920x1280 resolution iPhone.

Adawg1203

May 9, 2011
Visit site
No they wont want to do that. Name one phone that Motorola or Samsung makes that even approaches the sales numbers Apple enjoys. You cant.

Moto and Samsung release more phones than Apple. Besides, I never said anything about device sales. What I was getting at is Apple's strongest competitors offer larger screen displays therefore, it would only make sense for them to keep pace by offering a 4" device or better.

ryrycalguy

Jul 14, 2008
twitter.com
A 4" iPhone screen wouldn't really increase the size all that much especially if Apple is able to get the bezel down to a minimum. I want at least a 4" screen but I also don't want the physical phone itself to become any larger than it is.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I would love to see as 4" screen on the next iPhone, however, I don't want the iPhone to be much bigger than it is right now. I think the current iPhone is the perfect size.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Just remember, a 4" screen means one of two things:
1. Lose the retina quality as Apple defined it
or
2. If the res was bumped up to keep retina quality, lots of apps become incompatible and introduces the kind of fragmentation Apple doesn't want.

http://www.imore.com/2011/01/19/problem-2x-ipad-2-retina-display/ still applies here.

So update the apps to work on various resolutions. And don't give me the bs that apple can't do it. I know you hate anytime android is mentioned but if android apps can work fine on every possible screen size apple and their developers can adjust their few apps to work with more than just 3 resolutions.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
So update the apps to work on various resolutions. And don't give me the bs that apple can't do it. I know you hate anytime android is mentioned but if android apps can work fine on every possible screen size apple and their developers can adjust their few apps to work with more than just 3 resolutions.

To be fair, the app situation with Android is a giant mess. I ran into the issue with a lot of apps not displaying properly on my Galaxy Nexus.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
To be fair, the app situation with Android is a giant mess. I ran into the issue with a lot of apps not displaying properly on my Galaxy Nexus.

Absolutely correct. Some of the apps on the Rezound that I had were terrible in relation to the size of the screen. The text was so small on the banking app that I used I ended up deleting it as it was useless anyway.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Just remember, a 4" screen means one of two things:
1. Lose the retina quality as Apple defined it
or
2. If the res was bumped up to keep retina quality, lots of apps become incompatible and introduces the kind of fragmentation Apple doesn't want.

http://www.imore.com/2011/01/19/problem-2x-ipad-2-retina-display/ still applies here.

If Apple can do it on the 9.7" iPad 3 screen I think the 4" screen on an iPhone will be a piece of cake.

Reactions: Premium1

Totalimmortal363

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
Moto and Samsung release more phones than Apple. Besides, I never said anything about device sales. What I was getting at is Apple's strongest competitors offer larger screen displays therefore, it would only make sense for them to keep pace by offering a 4" device or better.

Since when has Apple ever really cared what other tech companies are doing?? Never.

That's what makes them who they are, they march to the beat of their own drum. They don't keep pace with anyone but themselves, which is something they should never change.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Since when has Apple ever really cared what other tech companies are doing?? Never.

That's what makes them who they are, they march to the beat of their own drum. They don't keep pace with anyone but themselves, which is something they should never change.

You're right they don't care. All they will do is take everyone to court that is the only time they care about other companies.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure what you mean here.

The iPad 3 is set to come out next month with a 9.7" retina display. What I meant was, if Apple can handle apps on a screen of that size with a retina display, they should have no problems with the apps on a screen with a 4" retina display.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods