A bigger iPhone

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Same reason all those were so "upset" that the 4s didn't have a larger screen and it still sold better than any previous iphone.

True, but I don't think Apple can continue with this success next time without at least updating to a slightly larger screen next year.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
True, but I don't think Apple can continue with this success next time without at least updating to a slightly larger screen next year.

I think if anyone could get away with it apple would be able to. I am sure if they just added lte and some more ram it would sell as well if not better than the 4s and you would still have some upset it has the same size screen but I guess we will see what route apple goes over the next few months.

yojojo3311

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
I was watching a video on the Dell Windows phone and it is the size of a paperback book - I don't think we have to worry about it being that big - - keep your old device if the size doesn't work for you.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I was watching a video on the Dell Windows phone and it is the size of a paperback book - I don't think we have to worry about it being that big - - keep your old device if the size doesn't work for you.

There are a host of various sizes that they could make and it wouldn't be that large overall. The nexus s wasn't that much larger than the iphone and it had a 4 inch screen.

Arelunde

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Some of the mock-ups last year for a possible iPhone 5 showed a slightly wider, and minimally taller prototype with a rectangular rocker home button way at the bottom and a single "line" speaker at the top with the rest of the front significantly larger display real estate. The form was similar to the iPad - aluminum curved back and glass front. It was really nice!! Some companies even jumped the gun and manufactured cases for this form.

When the 4S was announced ... Wow! What a disappointment.

vaytan

May 10, 2010
Visit site
I do love the size of the 4s, but if they tightened up the empty space on the phone you could maybe possible squeeze a nice size screen out of it.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com

You and a million other people said that last time around as well. A redesign alone with the same size screen will sell even more than the 4S. Guaranteed.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
You and a million other people said that last time around as well. A redesign alone with the same size screen will sell even more than the 4S. Guaranteed.

True, I "could" be wrong here. Just remember RIM was once on top of the wireless industry as well and look at where their lack of change has gotten them. ;)

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.

Reactions: redbeard

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
RIM and Apple are two completely different companies.

I understand this, however, different of not, I was using RIM as an example of what "could" happen when a corporation gets relaxed into thinking that they don't need to offer there customers very many changes short of software as it'll still continue to sell. Remember how far behind Android was just a few years ago? Now look at where they are in terms of innovation.... Feel free to disagree with this, but I feel Android has already caught up to Apple and if it weren't for their laggy OS updates they would be on top of the wireless food chain.

Last edited:

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I understand this, however, different of not, I was using RIM as an example of what "could" happen when a corporation gets relaxed into thinking that they don't need to offer there customers very many changes short of software as it'll still continue to sell. Remember how far behind Android was just a few years ago? Now look at where they are in terms of innovation.... Feel free to disagree with this, but I feel Android has already caught up to Apple and if it weren't for their laggy OS updates they would be on top of the wireless food chain.

Android is more than one phone and hardware manufacturer. There are a ton of different Android phones out there. Apple has one phone essentially. So all of this Android is caught up or has surpassed Apple is nonsense the way I look at it. You can also look at it this way, Google makes one flagship Nexus device a year. Now take the numbers that phone brings in and compare it to the iPhone. It pales in comparison. (And I am in no way bashing it, I love that phone.) I can assure you Apple is not going to sit on their hands and become RIM anytime soon. The people that work there are on a completely different level than those at RIM. I wish I could explain that better but I can't. :eek: And back to the screen size effecting sales, won't happen and I'm in the camp hoping for a larger screen someday.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Android is more than one phone and hardware manufacturer. There are a ton of different Android phones out there. Apple has one phone essentially. So all of this Android is caught up or has surpassed Apple is nonsense the way I look at it. You can also look at it this way, Google makes one flagship Nexus device a year. Now take the numbers that phone brings in and compare it to the iPhone. It pales in comparison. (And I am in no way bashing it, I love that phone.) I can assure you Apple is not going to sit on their hands and become RIM anytime soon. The people that work there are on a completely different level than those at RIM. I wish I could explain that better but I can't. :eek: And back to the screen size effecting sales, won't happen and I'm in the camp hoping for a larger screen someday.

Yeah well apple is in the same boat that RIM was in with just releasing minor changes to the new model while others were going every different direction. You can bring in android is more than 1 phone and manufacturer but that still doesnt change anything. If android was like apple and all that there was was the nexus line I'm sure sales would be close to what the iphone sells. The only reason no 1 android phone comes close to sales of the iphone is because there is so many makes and models. It makes it easier to sell more when you only make 1/2 different phones than if you make 5+.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Yeah well apple is in the same boat that RIM was in with just releasing minor changes to the new model while others were going every different direction. You can bring in android is more than 1 phone and manufacturer but that still doesnt change anything. If android was like apple and all that there was was the nexus line I'm sure sales would be close to what the iphone sells. The only reason no 1 android phone comes close to sales of the iphone is because there is so many makes and models. It makes it easier to sell more when you only make 1/2 different phones than if you make 5+.

The next phone will look different and be much improved. Trust me. And if you think the Nexus would be selling anywhere near iPhone numbers, I don't know what to tell you. Just would not happen.

Adawg1203

May 9, 2011
Visit site
The next phone will look different and be much improved. Trust me. And if you think the Nexus would be selling anywhere near iPhone numbers, I don't know what to tell you. Just would not happen.

I think the next iPhone has to be much improved. Apple's iPhone is clearly lagging several Android devices on the market today not just the Nexus. I am basing this on specs alone and not so much the performance of the devices.

Also, I think if Apple redesigned the iPhone but kept the same screen size it would be a huge mistake. The reason I say that is, when you take into account that end users, are using there device for more and more things a larger display will make for a better experience. I am not saying it has to be absurd in size, just not 3.5 and I think 3.7 is still too small.

It would be in Apple's best interest to introduce a device with a WOW factor surpassing the specs on the latest android devices. Because Apple only updates device hardware on the iPhone once a year, that leaves very little margin of error to not get something right, or they will cede more ground to the Android device onslaught.

I do agree with you that Apple is not RIM. Apple understands the competition and knows what has to be done in order to retain there market dominance.

Last edited:

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site

I hope that much improved phone includes a notification light. As much as I like Apple, I have to admit Android OS is way ahead of Apple in many areas. Since we seem to have gotten just about everything people were looking for with iOS5, I really hope iOS 6 brings us widgets finally.

I don't care what they make it look like or if they redesign the shell, give me a bigger screen, or at the very least a notification light and widgets. I didn't buy a 4S because I don't see any reason too, I'll only buy the 5 if it has 2 of the 3 improvements I mentioned in any combination.:cool:

If it's just a cosmetic case change, and another spec bump, with the same stale ui, and no real challenge to the competition I'll pass.:(

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

I am in full agreement with this. The Android has more than one device is getting a little long in the tooth. I think if there was only one Android model out per year it would be a whole different ball game. With their larger screens and OS innovation they would be far ahead. The only thing I think Android lacks in is battery life ( due to larger screen and home screen widgets) and OS updates pushed out to older devices in a more timely manner..... That said, I absolutely want a larger screen on the next iPhone. :)

Reactions: Premium1

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I think the next iPhone has to be much improved. Apple's iPhone is clearly lagging several Android devices on the market today not just the Nexus. I am basing this on specs alone and not so much the performance of the devices.

Also, I think if Apple redesigned the iPhone but kept the same screen size it would be a huge mistake. The reason I say that is, when you take into account that end users, are using there device for more and more things a larger display will make for a better experience. I am not saying it has to be absurd in size, just not 3.5 and I think 3.7 is still too small.

It would be in Apple's best interest to introduce a device with a WOW factor surpassing the specs on the latest android devices. Because Apple only updates device hardware on the iPhone once a year, that leaves very little margin of error to not get something right, or they will cede more ground to the Android device onslaught.

I do agree with you that Apple is not RIM. Apple understands the competition and knows what has to be done in order to retain there market dominance.

+1 to these points. There definitely needs to be a bigger improvement than what we've seen with recent iPhones if Apple is going to maintain their leverage in a world where people want more.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2