We need new UI for next iPhone

Hammer

Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
I'm sorry but being totally honest I am really, really bored with the outdated and stale iOS UI. I am seriously interested in what Apple will do to upgrade the UI in the next iPhone.

After owning every generation of iPhone since 3, I am envious of the newer, more customizable interfaces that Droid and Win Phones offer.

Does anyone else share my boredom?

Don't get me wrong, I love Apple's devices but I almost feel like I'm stuck in the elementary school of interfaces while watching my friends play in the real stadium.

Is there any hope Apple could provide a choice of UI with maybe a standard (old) and an advanced mode?

Does anyone else feel like me?:confused:

Timhewitt

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Just switch to a Windoze phone. Bye bye.

The UI is not going to make any significant changes, so you will never be happy until you go somewhere else....

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
While the UI may be a little stale it is however fantastic. I have used both android phones and Windows Phone 7.5 devices and can tell you they suffer the same problem. It's just very easy to get bored with a UI. Even when theming on android the basic UI options work the same just look a little different. For me I am hoping that apple opens a theme store in the next revision so that we can get supported themes for our devices.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
It's unfortunate that threads like this always get flamed...as much as I love my iPhone, I think it's fine to point out areas where Apple could step up their game. And I agree that the UI is one of those places--even if only on the springboard, or even if it were only the lockscreen. It's not enough to make me switch to what I consider a lesser platform, but that doesn't mean it can't be pointed out and discussed in a sensible way.

OP, if you haven't explored jailbreaking, you might enjoy it, not only for the great apps and tweaks it offers but also for the chance to customize your UI (including animations, lockscreens, icon theming, how apps are launched, etc.) It opens up a vast world of options.

Reactions: CR4V3 and Premium1

ChaosShadow

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
It's unfortunate that threads like this always get flamed...as much as I love my iPhone, I think it's fine to point out areas where Apple could step up their game. And I agree that the UI is one of those places--even if only on the springboard, or even if it were only the lockscreen. It's not enough to make me switch to what I consider a lesser platform, but that doesn't mean it can't be pointed out and discussed in a sensible way.

OP, if you haven't explored jailbreaking, you might enjoy it, not only for the great apps and tweaks it offers but also for the chance to customize your UI (including animations, lockscreens, icon theming, how apps are launched, etc.) It opens up a vast world of options.

^^^ This

I also suggest looking into the JB options for your phone. If you currently have a 4S, the JB should be released soon. I say give JB'ing a chance, and if the UI is still feeling stale to you, I recommend looking into an Android phone :cool:

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
While the UI may be a little stale it is however fantastic. I have used both android phones and Windows Phone 7.5 devices and can tell you they suffer the same problem. It's just very easy to get bored with a UI. Even when theming on android the basic UI options work the same just look a little different. For me I am hoping that apple opens a theme store in the next revision so that we can get supported themes for our devices.

I think they eventually will, another way for devolopers and apple to make some $$ lol

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Android is boring (vanilla, not the silly UI layers added by 3rd party OEMs). iOS is boring. WebOS is boring. Metro is fresh, but boring too after you settle into it. They all have a boring UI. You can customize some more than others, but I don't care to. I am satisfied with iOS, but only because I am trapped into the Apple ecosystem for the last 6+ years.

Last edited:

neur0tk

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
I got bored with UI customization cause you get so caught up with
making changes to it, it starts to consume your life and my phone spends most of its time in my pocket lol so it's not really showing off I am satisfied how the Apple UI looks and I am happy with it and don't want to change it up ;)

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Bias X

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
It really doesn't matter the phone you have.
All phone UI's get boring after a very short period of time.

Themeing is a great alternative.
If you can jailbreak do it.

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
Agreed, it looks exactly the same after almost 5 years now, it's boring, the only thing Apple lets you customize is the wallpaper, time for something new.

Imagine if every new car looked exactly the same inside and out year after year after year? There's a reason cars get re-designed ever year or two and totally overhauled at around 5 years. The top two complaints I hear from friends and family that have left the iPhone are "it's boring" and "the screen is too small".

Thankfully we have a jailbreak..

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
And to those saying "go elsewhere" or "get used to it", imagine if Apple had listened to fanboys like you, we'd have no facetime, no Siri, no multi-tasking, no MMS, no notification center, none of it, Apple would still be selling the iPhone 2g with it's low res screen and it wouldn't even have an app store. Change is good.

9thWonder

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm sorry but being totally honest I am really, really bored with the outdated and stale iOS UI.

I don't find it remotely outdated or stale.

After owning every generation of iPhone since 3, I am envious of the newer, more customizable interfaces that Droid and Win Phones offer.

Not me. I have not owned every iphone since 3. This is my first iphone and thus i'm not bored and i'm surely not envious. I've used other phones and some have strengths, example Google's voice activated navigation. But I don't want to change the way the U.I looks if that's what you mean by customizable. I've no interests in skins and such. No offense but i find most phone skins like on WebOS really tacky. I don't like the flat look of wp7. That metro look is plain to me. I never liked the zune. Android 4 is better then before but it's still that flat unrendered look in many places. Not for me. There are things i'd like tweaked or added like LTE because sprint data speed is, well, zero. icloud and the whole backup process and sync is needlessly cumbersome. At no time should my phone force me to choose between doing what it wants and deleting stuff off my phone. But other then that I'm extremely satisfied.

But i don't need change to the UI for the sake of change.

Last edited:

Totalimmortal363

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm sorry but being totally honest I am really, really bored with the outdated and stale iOS UI. I am seriously interested in what Apple will do to upgrade the UI in the next iPhone.

Don't get me wrong, I love Apple's devices but I almost feel like I'm stuck in the elementary school of interfaces while watching my friends play in the real stadium.

Is there any hope Apple could provide a choice of UI with maybe a standard (old) and an advanced mode?

Does anyone else feel like me?:confused:

No not at all. Buy a garbage win7 phone or DROID and have fun with the phone force closing every other minute.

The UI is the way it is for a reason, it's simple and powerful. Customizing and changing things leads to problems and compatibility issues, the things that plague android phones. Period.

Bias X

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
No not at all. Buy a garbage win7 phone or DROID and have fun with the phone force closing every other minute.

The UI is the way it is for a reason, it's simple and powerful. Customizing and changing things leads to problems and compatibility issues, the things that plague android phones. Period.

CoughsenseUICough

I was just about to say, you might call it boring. I call it simple.

Hot94Z28

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I like playing with the droid I have laying around. It's fun but I like having my iPhone for day to day use. It's fun to play with android but when you use it everyday it gets cumbersome.

Sent from my iPhone using TapaMFtalk

Reactions: datboicastro

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
Blackberry was once at the top, they didn't change, look where they are now.

So how long do people think nothing should change? 10 years? 20? Never? Why not just buy a Jitterbug? They have loud ringers, you can call and text, simple as can be, then you won't have to worry about distracting colors and wallpapers. Simple phone for simple minds..

Bias X

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
It wasn't blackberry's UI that was the problem.
Their UI has stayed relatively the same over the years and no one is complaining about it.
QNX even still has some similarities with the old system. Although its taking a 'webOS' look and feel to it.

RIM fell behind because they refused to adapt to trends that Apple and Google started for smartphones. They believed that it wouldn't catch on, "who wants to play angry birds? its a business phone."

What exactly does the Android UI have over the iOS UI?