We need new UI for next iPhone

soll82

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry but being totally honest I am really, really bored with the outdated and stale iOS UI. I am seriously interested in what Apple will do to upgrade the UI in the next iPhone.

After owning every generation of iPhone since 3, I am envious of the newer, more customizable interfaces that Droid and Win Phones offer.

Does anyone else share my boredom?

Don't get me wrong, I love Apple's devices but I almost feel like I'm stuck in the elementary school of interfaces while watching my friends play in the real stadium.

Is there any hope Apple could provide a choice of UI with maybe a standard (old) and an advanced mode?

Does anyone else feel like me?:confused:

Nope absolutely not. I actually love the UI. It's nice and most stuff looks way prettier than the things I have seen on WP and Android.

If you want a lot of customization? Go for it. But I actually dislike all those little gadgets and stuff being on all of those screen, not being looked at ever.

StormJH1

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
How is the Apple OS boring? Sure, I'm speaking as someone who just moved to Apple products two months ago from BLACKBERRY of all places. But I don't see how it's boring. You're probably just so used to the way that it operates that you don't appreciate it anymore. Little things like dropping one icon into another to make a folder, the icons vibrating when you're in "delete" mode, even the way the icons within a folder display and then scroll up...those are creative touches IMO.

Apple's OS is "rigid", however, by which I mean they are overly restrictive on customization. The fact that I can't shortcut something like Bluetooth Off/On without a jailbreak or workaround is ridiculous. The fact that the weather icon says it's 73 degrees and sunny is stupid, especially when the calendar icon demonstrates that variable icons are possible. (Even BlackBerry has this capability).

But Apple can and has made fixes to key OS problems in the past, like multitasking, problems with the mail, new gestures, etc. I'm all for improvements but there's no reason to blow it all up.

JnCrWe

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
While it wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing for Apple to introduce more significant changes to iOS's UI, I'll second the notion that any interface will become boring after a good amount of use.

Android's interface, even with things like HTC's Sense and custom launchers and such, isn't that exciting. After close to two years of using it, a big reason I made the switch to iOS is simply that I was bored with Android, even with the many customization options available. I'm sure many long-time iOS users feel roughly the same way in reverse.

I suppose that, if anything, Apple should keep the current interface, but offer out-of-the-box customization beyond what's available now. The problem, of course, is keeping things smooth and stable. Also, it may be a difficult paradigm shift for a company that has historically emphasized a polished, but uniform, user experience. Then again, under (somewhat) new leadership, who knows what'll happen next?

Last edited:

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
While it wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing for Apple to introduce more significant changes to iOS's UI, I'll second the notion that any interface will become boring after a good amount of use.

Android's interface, even with things like HTC's Sense and custom launchers and such, isn't that exciting. After close to two years of using it, a big reason I made the switch to iOS is simply that I was bored with Android, even with the many customization options available. I'm sure many long-time iOS users feel roughly the same way in reverse.

I suppose that, if anything, Apple should keep the current interface, but offer out-of-the-box customization beyond what's available now. The problem, of course, is keeping things smooth and stable. Also, it may be a difficult paradigm shift for a company that has historically emphasized a polished, but uniform, user experience. Then again, under (somewhat) new leadership, who knows what'll happen next?
Good post. I feel exactly as you did. I'm bored with the current iPhone, and long for more customizations right out of the box. You should NOT have to jailbreak, to get what you want from your device. If i don't read some exciting news coming out of Cupertino soon, i'm jumping ship for an Android phone.:(

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
While i am bored without the customization of the iPhone I wouldn't jump ship, everyone I know who has an android plus every one I have ever played with drove me nuts lol

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
While i am bored without the customization of the iPhone I wouldn't jump ship, everyone I know who has an android plus every one I have ever played with drove me nuts lol

For me, it's all about the customizations. I refuse to have to JB, to get what i should have right out of the box. The biggest knock on Androids is the battery life. It's a non issue for me, as my phone is always on or near a charger. Anyway, there are new batteries out there, at over 3000m/ah, which would solve that problem. I think that i just need a change. Apple's OS's are more stable, no argument there, but they come in dribs and drabs, with tiny improvements that leave you hanging on for more. I guess that i'm just tired of the BS, because i know that they can do so much more, but they just leave you waiting, and wanting more. I believe that it's part of Apple's marketing strategy, and it works! You don't see people waiting outside a store for hours, to buy a BB, or an Android, do you?:)

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
For me, it's all about the customizations. I refuse to have to JB, to get what i should have right out of the box. The biggest knock on Androids is the battery life. It's a non issue for me, as my phone is always on or near a charger. Anyway, there are new batteries out there, at over 3000m/ah, which would solve that problem. I think that i just need a change. Apple's OS's are more stable, no argument there, but they come in dribs and drabs, with tiny improvements that leave you hanging on for more. I guess that i'm just tired of the BS, because i know that they can do so much more, but they just leave you waiting, and wanting more. I believe that it's part of Apple's marketing strategy, and it works! You don't see people waiting outside a store for hours, to buy a BB, or an Android, do you?:)

On the upside since the battery is larger it will be easier to pull when the phone freezes up due to all the customizations. I have no problem with the fact I can't customize. I enjoy a phone that just works. Of course I have only had the iPhone for about a year but have not missed all the freezing and worrying about app conflicts.

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
On the upside since the battery is larger it will be easier to pull when the phone freezes up due to all the customizations. I have no problem with the fact I can't customize. I enjoy a phone that just works. Of course I have only had the iPhone for about a year but have not missed all the freezing and worrying about app conflicts.

That's your opinion, and you're entitled to it. However, anybody who uses the Yankee's logo as their avatar, doesn't impress me with anything that they have to say!:rolleyes:

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
That's your opinion, and you're entitled to it. However, anybody who uses the Yankee's logo as their avatar, doesn't impress me with anything that they have to say!:rolleyes:

The last thing I was doing was looking to impress you- Comments like yours are what I hate about these forums- This is an iPhone thread- please keep your sports opinions to yourself.

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
The last thing I was doing was looking to impress you- Comments like yours are what I hate about these forums- This is an iPhone thread- please keep your sports opinions to yourself.

And keep your sarcasm to yourself. The part about "freezing" is pure speculation. I know people who have owned Android phones for years, with no "freezing" at all. As far as my sports comment is concerned, i have only one thing to say...BITE ME!

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
And it's apparent that neither of you have mastered the subtleties associated with text when there's no vocal inflection and you don't see smiley face emotis.

So back on topic and quit picking at each other like children.

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, didn't they goof and move something in an icon 2 pixels to the left and everyone threw a fit? No matter what they do, it won't please everyone.

eprisencc

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Its time for a new coat of paint.

I like the iPhone as much as the next person but its time for a new coat of paint. It is not necessary to copy Android or any other phone but a new coat of paint would be welcome.

For starters Apple could change the default layout of iOS to not litter the spring board pages with all icons. How about the 1st page only have four icons so we can see more of the background.

Another idea would be to decrease the icon size to about 80% of the current size. Again this would allow more of the background to be seen and looks more aesthetically pleasing (see the jailbreak app shrink).

Another tweak could be to overhaul all of the default apps with a new look and app icon (ie add pictures to the contact scroll list).

Imagine if Microsoft still had the XP look in Windows 7? iOS is longer over due for a change in the UI department.

ray6712

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
I agree with wanting something fresh but there is another problem that apple faces trying to improve ios without fragmenting it. Now I like the hiring of Jon Micheal Cart and his os changes with the dynamic icons and such it will be an interesting year

Sent from my iPhone 4s
using Tapatalk

Roose00

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Just switch to a Windoze phone. Bye bye.

The UI is not going to make any significant changes, so you will never be happy until you go somewhere else....

This is a sad comment. Let ppl express opinions and talk about it.

I get bored with EVERY phone I've had. This phone has worked best overall and that wins out. But it gets boring just like the rest!

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods