How is the Apple OS boring? Sure, I'm speaking as someone who just moved to Apple products two months ago from BLACKBERRY of all places. But I don't see how it's boring. You're probably just so used to the way that it operates that you don't appreciate it anymore. Little things like dropping one icon into another to make a folder, the icons vibrating when you're in "delete" mode, even the way the icons within a folder display and then scroll up...those are creative touches IMO.

Apple's OS is "rigid", however, by which I mean they are overly restrictive on customization. The fact that I can't shortcut something like Bluetooth Off/On without a jailbreak or workaround is ridiculous. The fact that the weather icon says it's 73 degrees and sunny is stupid, especially when the calendar icon demonstrates that variable icons are possible. (Even BlackBerry has this capability).

But Apple can and has made fixes to key OS problems in the past, like multitasking, problems with the mail, new gestures, etc. I'm all for improvements but there's no reason to blow it all up.
    01-13-2012 10:16 AM
    While it wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing for Apple to introduce more significant changes to iOS's UI, I'll second the notion that any interface will become boring after a good amount of use.

Android's interface, even with things like HTC's Sense and custom launchers and such, isn't that exciting. After close to two years of using it, a big reason I made the switch to iOS is simply that I was bored with Android, even with the many customization options available. I'm sure many long-time iOS users feel roughly the same way in reverse.

I suppose that, if anything, Apple should keep the current interface, but offer out-of-the-box customization beyond what's available now. The problem, of course, is keeping things smooth and stable. Also, it may be a difficult paradigm shift for a company that has historically emphasized a polished, but uniform, user experience. Then again, under (somewhat) new leadership, who knows what'll happen next?
    Last edited by JnCrWe; 01-13-2012 at 09:38 PM.
    01-13-2012 09:36 PM
    While it wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing for Apple to introduce more significant changes to iOS's UI, I'll second the notion that any interface will become boring after a good amount of use.

Android's interface, even with things like HTC's Sense and custom launchers and such, isn't that exciting. After close to two years of using it, a big reason I made the switch to iOS is simply that I was bored with Android, even with the many customization options available. I'm sure many long-time iOS users feel roughly the same way in reverse.

I suppose that, if anything, Apple should keep the current interface, but offer out-of-the-box customization beyond what's available now. The problem, of course, is keeping things smooth and stable. Also, it may be a difficult paradigm shift for a company that has historically emphasized a polished, but uniform, user experience. Then again, under (somewhat) new leadership, who knows what'll happen next?
    Good post. I feel exactly as you did. I'm bored with the current iPhone, and long for more customizations right out of the box. You should NOT have to jailbreak, to get what you want from your device. If i don't read some exciting news coming out of Cupertino soon, i'm jumping ship for an Android phone.
    Adawg1203 likes this.
    01-14-2012 11:44 AM
    While i am bored without the customization of the iPhone I wouldn't jump ship, everyone I know who has an android plus every one I have ever played with drove me nuts lol
    01-14-2012 08:10 PM
    While i am bored without the customization of the iPhone I wouldn't jump ship, everyone I know who has an android plus every one I have ever played with drove me nuts lol
    For me, it's all about the customizations. I refuse to have to JB, to get what i should have right out of the box. The biggest knock on Androids is the battery life. It's a non issue for me, as my phone is always on or near a charger. Anyway, there are new batteries out there, at over 3000m/ah, which would solve that problem. I think that i just need a change. Apple's OS's are more stable, no argument there, but they come in dribs and drabs, with tiny improvements that leave you hanging on for more. I guess that i'm just tired of the BS, because i know that they can do so much more, but they just leave you waiting, and wanting more. I believe that it's part of Apple's marketing strategy, and it works! You don't see people waiting outside a store for hours, to buy a BB, or an Android, do you?
    01-14-2012 09:07 PM
    For me, it's all about the customizations. I refuse to have to JB, to get what i should have right out of the box. The biggest knock on Androids is the battery life. It's a non issue for me, as my phone is always on or near a charger. Anyway, there are new batteries out there, at over 3000m/ah, which would solve that problem. I think that i just need a change. Apple's OS's are more stable, no argument there, but they come in dribs and drabs, with tiny improvements that leave you hanging on for more. I guess that i'm just tired of the BS, because i know that they can do so much more, but they just leave you waiting, and wanting more. I believe that it's part of Apple's marketing strategy, and it works! You don't see people waiting outside a store for hours, to buy a BB, or an Android, do you?
    On the upside since the battery is larger it will be easier to pull when the phone freezes up due to all the customizations. I have no problem with the fact I can't customize. I enjoy a phone that just works. Of course I have only had the iPhone for about a year but have not missed all the freezing and worrying about app conflicts.
    01-14-2012 09:45 PM
    On the upside since the battery is larger it will be easier to pull when the phone freezes up due to all the customizations. I have no problem with the fact I can't customize. I enjoy a phone that just works. Of course I have only had the iPhone for about a year but have not missed all the freezing and worrying about app conflicts.
    That's your opinion, and you're entitled to it. However, anybody who uses the Yankee's logo as their avatar, doesn't impress me with anything that they have to say!
    01-14-2012 10:28 PM
    That's your opinion, and you're entitled to it. However, anybody who uses the Yankee's logo as their avatar, doesn't impress me with anything that they have to say!
    The last thing I was doing was looking to impress you- Comments like yours are what I hate about these forums- This is an iPhone thread- please keep your sports opinions to yourself.
    01-15-2012 10:10 AM
    The last thing I was doing was looking to impress you- Comments like yours are what I hate about these forums- This is an iPhone thread- please keep your sports opinions to yourself.
    And keep your sarcasm to yourself. The part about "freezing" is pure speculation. I know people who have owned Android phones for years, with no "freezing" at all. As far as my sports comment is concerned, i have only one thing to say...BITE ME!
    01-15-2012 10:21 AM
    And it's apparent that neither of you have mastered the subtleties associated with text when there's no vocal inflection and you don't see smiley face emotis.

So back on topic and quit picking at each other like children.
    01-15-2012 10:51 AM
    And it's apparent that neither of you have mastered the subtleties associated with text when there's no vocal inflection and you don't see smiley face emotis.

So back on topic and quit picking at each other like children.
    Mea Culpa.
    01-15-2012 11:23 AM
    Yeah, didn't they goof and move something in an icon 2 pixels to the left and everyone threw a fit? No matter what they do, it won't please everyone.
    01-16-2012 04:30 PM
    I like the iPhone as much as the next person but its time for a new coat of paint. It is not necessary to copy Android or any other phone but a new coat of paint would be welcome.

For starters Apple could change the default layout of iOS to not litter the spring board pages with all icons. How about the 1st page only have four icons so we can see more of the background.

Another idea would be to decrease the icon size to about 80% of the current size. Again this would allow more of the background to be seen and looks more aesthetically pleasing (see the jailbreak app shrink).

Another tweak could be to overhaul all of the default apps with a new look and app icon (ie add pictures to the contact scroll list).

Imagine if Microsoft still had the XP look in Windows 7? iOS is longer over due for a change in the UI department.
    01-16-2012 07:59 PM
    I agree with wanting something fresh but there is another problem that apple faces trying to improve ios without fragmenting it. Now I like the hiring of Jon Micheal Cart and his os changes with the dynamic icons and such it will be an interesting year

Sent from my iPhone 4s
    using Tapatalk
    01-16-2012 09:51 PM
    Just switch to a Windoze phone. Bye bye.

The UI is not going to make any significant changes, so you will never be happy until you go somewhere else....
    This is a sad comment. Let ppl express opinions and talk about it.

I get bored with EVERY phone I've had. This phone has worked best overall and that wins out. But it gets boring just like the rest!
    redbeard and Adawg1203 like this.
    01-16-2012 10:03 PM
    I've had an iPhone since the original, and I agree it is stale, and I agree with others that the perfect solution is a theme store. Developers make more money, Apple is the first with a theme store which puts them ahead, people that like the current theme can stay, those that want a change can pay for it in the App store. Everybody wins. I really hope Apple has already thought of this and we see it in iOS 6 this June.
    01-17-2012 01:31 AM
    It would be nice to be able to change themes. That is the ONLY thing I miss about the Blackberry.
    01-17-2012 08:20 AM
    I miss the Android UI customization for sure, and trying new ROM's. But I think the simple UI is what works for Apple. People pick up an iOS device and instantly know how to navigate it. Android took much longer for me to get, and forget my wife even trying. I would like more customization and to see the UI enhanced, but they will have to be careful with any changes. It still has to be intuitive out of the box.
    01-17-2012 01:02 PM
    I miss the Android UI customization for sure, and trying new ROM's. But I think the simple UI is what works for Apple. People pick up an iOS device and instantly know how to navigate it. Android took much longer for me to get, and forget my wife even trying. I would like more customization and to see the UI enhanced, but they will have to be careful with any changes. It still has to be intuitive out of the box.
    This may not make me very popular, but i believe that jail breaking should be made redundant. Everything that you need or want to do to your phone, should be made available to you, right out of the box. Customize it your own way, or not, it should be your choice. App Store, Cydia or whatever, should either come on the phone, or be an easy download, without the risk of screwing up your phone with a jailbreak or root. Just my opinion, folks.
    ladyc0524 likes this.
    01-17-2012 01:25 PM
    This may not make me very popular, but i believe that jail breaking should be made redundant. Everything that you need or want to do to your phone, should be made available to you, right out of the box. Customize it your own way, or not, it should be your choice. App Store, Cydia or whatever, should either come on the phone, or be an easy download, without the risk of screwing up your phone with a jailbreak or root. Just my opinion, folks.
    I understand your reasoning for wanting that.
    But coming from a companies standpoint that would be a no no.
    Android doesn't produce its own hardware. So as far as messing with the phones goes, its usually in the manufacturers hands to replace and fix phones. Android might say, hey mess around, explore! I'm sure the manufacturers have a different standpoint.
    Apple on the other hand produces both, they have to make sure that their hardware and software works. Adding jailbreaking right off the bat would produce a lot of problems that Apple would have to deal with and fix.
    01-17-2012 04:57 PM
    The reason the iPhone is so popular is because all the crap that can crash your phone is removed, settings that can screw things up, gone.

Wouldn't have it any other way.
    01-17-2012 06:00 PM
    It would be nice to be able to change themes. That is the ONLY thing I miss about the Blackberry.
    i disagree with this. when i had my bb, i literally had over 100 themes (stored on bbsak) and even changing from one to another couldnt make me happy. Just in one day, i would change my theme 3,4, sometimes even 5 times. i just couldnt settle for what ever reason being. when i got my iphone, the theme is what it is and no changing it without a jb, which i'm not even interested in doing. I like the iphone's theme just the way it is and i'm glad i dont have to wrestle with myself deciding on what theme i want to use, lol.

i checked out the htc rhyme before 100% deciding on the iphone in Nov. I have to say, i'm not an !diot when it comes to navigating around a phone menu, but i can honestly say in the hour i spent at the VzW store that particular day, i was completely frustrated beyond belief trying to use it !!

I like the way the iOS is and how it functions. it just works
    01-17-2012 08:23 PM
    i see your point here grunt, and i'm sure there are many people that would enjoy this function/feature right out of the box too. BUT, what this would also bring is opening a new 'can of worms' so to speak with more/new problems that would lay on Apples responsibility even more so than the stable iOS they now have, where some issues do arise here and there, because not every phone/OS is perfect.

I'm one of the people that do not want a jb, and i'm really happy with the iOS the way it is now
    grunt0300 likes this.
    01-17-2012 08:27 PM
    i see your point here grunt, and i'm sure there are many people that would enjoy this function/feature right out of the box too. BUT, what this would also bring is opening a new 'can of worms' so to speak with more/new problems that would lay on Apples responsibility even more so than the stable iOS they now have, where some issues do arise here and there, because not every phone/OS is perfect.

I'm one of the people that do not want a jb, and i'm really happy with the iOS the way it is now
    My phone has virtually everything themed, and has dozens of tweaks, and you have to remember these are running on top of Apple's stock OS, and my phone works just as good as a stocker. So I don't see why or how themes, which are nothing more than the same UI elements but with different colors or patterns would cause any problems, especially if they were built into the OS by Apple. A theme store would rake in the dough as well.

Choice is good, After 4 years I'm bored of it, it looks exactly the same as it did on my old 3G! Time for a change, they don't have to completely re-do everything, just a re-fresh would do, some new colors (the dull faded grey and baby blues everywhere look dated and stale) a more modern look.

And of course there are still glaring holes in iOS, like the fact you still cannot reply to a text message without interrupting what you're doing and going into the SMS app. Widgets would be nice, and for all that is holy, that stupid weather icon that is stuck on 73 degrees and sunny is a joke.

So there is plenty they can do without hurting anything, it seems the people bored with iOS are those of us that have been using it for years now, Apple needs to do something to keep us around, there are only tens of millions of us!
    Last edited by redbeard; 01-17-2012 at 10:20 PM.
    01-17-2012 10:18 PM
    My phone has virtually everything themed, and has dozens of tweaks, and you have to remember these are running on top of Apple's stock OS, and my phone works just as good as a stocker. So I don't see why or how themes, which are nothing more than the same UI elements but with different colors or patterns would cause any problems, especially if they were built into the OS by Apple. A theme store would rake in the dough as well.

Choice is good, After 4 years I'm bored of it, it looks exactly the same as it did on my old 3G! Time for a change, they don't have to completely re-do everything, just a re-fresh would do, some new colors (the dull faded grey and baby blues everywhere look dated and stale) a more modern look.

And of course there are still glaring holes in iOS, like the fact you still cannot reply to a text message without interrupting what you're doing and going into the SMS app. Widgets would be nice, and for all that is holy, that stupid weather icon that is stuck on 73 degrees and sunny is a joke.

So there is plenty they can do without hurting anything, it seems the people bored with iOS are those of us that have been using it for years now, Apple needs to do something to keep us around, there are only tens of millions of us!
    I agree with your viewpoint and feel the same. Once you use Handcent or something similar on Android, iOS handling of messaging seems behind. You can reply inline with your current task and then move on.

However, I still think whatever customization Apple adds has to be paired with ease of use and understanding. It has to be intuitive so more people who don't know or want to know much about their phone can still use them without issues. I guess a more controlled customization system is what they need compared to Android's everything is open approach.
    01-18-2012 08:18 AM
65 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD