It's the 6th generation don't you guys think it'll be the iPhone 6 or something? I'm thinking the iPhone 4G or even 4G[s] if they really wanna confuse us but the fact is the iPhone was called the iPhone, next (the second gen) was called the 3G, then the 3G[s] then came the 4 for the 4th generation and finally the 4[s]. It seems to me it will be called anything but the 5.
    12-22-2011 02:21 PM
    Lol I know right

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    12-22-2011 02:37 PM
    probably because most people are trained to go in some sort of chronological order

personally i think it is time to go away from the #'s and name it something cool!
    12-22-2011 02:43 PM
    I consider the 4S to be the iPhone 5 since its 5th gen but until anything becomes officially announced, TiPb has chosen to call the next gen the iPhone 5 since it has to be called something for now.
    12-22-2011 02:45 PM
    Likely because Apple will label it an iphone5 and then the 7th generation phone maybe the iPhone 5s or 5gs. ohhhh or wait maybe they will call the next one iPhone 4GS.......ohhhh that would really upset people.

Just curious was everyone all worried about it when they made the 3GS, or did they just accept it because there was no "iPhone 2"
    12-22-2011 03:41 PM
    Honestly they can call it whatever they want, I'm more concerned with features than what they decide to call it.
    DaPhoneking likes this.
    12-22-2011 08:29 PM
    It almost sounds strange. I always thought they would eventually reset the name and just call it an iPhone.
    12-23-2011 02:01 AM
    iPhone LTE
    12-23-2011 11:41 AM
    Well Apple completely missed 2.
    Though they kept the number game going from 3 to 4.
    Who knows what they are going to call the next phone.
    They will either keep the sequence going or call it something else.
    12-23-2011 04:55 PM
    I wish they'd stop with the "S" thing. They started a very annoying trend among smartphone naming with that crap.

I want them to name the next one something cool, OR just drop the suffixes altogether! When new iPod versions come out they don't change the name, even when it's drastically different.

It's not that hard to just have it called "iPhone". Let's cut the crap finally and just call it what it is.
    12-23-2011 06:11 PM
    They can call this one the iPhone 5 but after that they need to use something else besides numbers
    12-25-2011 03:56 PM
    I wish they'd stop with the "S" thing. They started a very annoying trend among smartphone naming with that crap.

I want them to name the next one something cool, OR just drop the suffixes altogether! When new iPod versions come out they don't change the name, even when it's drastically different.

It's not that hard to just have it called "iPhone". Let's cut the crap finally and just call it what it is.
    You have to have a name that differentiates the different iPhone models otherwise consumers get confused you could walk into a store an say give me an iPhone and they could hand you a 3GS instead of the 4s. Gotta be something labeled different

12-29-2011 08:14 AM
    They can call this one the iPhone 5 but after that they need to use something else besides numbers
    Why? The numbers have worked just fine for the iPhone thus far. I see no reason why Apple shouldn't continue with their current trend.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk.
    12-29-2011 09:58 AM
    You have to have a name that differentiates the different iPhone models otherwise consumers get confused you could walk into a store an say give me an iPhone and they could hand you a 3GS instead of the 4s. Gotta be something labeled different

I agree. There are currently 3 iPhone models in the stores. If they were all just called "iPhone" no one would know which one was which. Especially when you got 2 like the 4 and 4S that look exactly the same with the exception of the antenna.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk.
    12-29-2011 10:02 AM
    They should call it the iPhone Ultra Xtreme...iPhone 5 is too pedestrian, we need something with some ultra...and extreme (but spelled wrong).
    cardfan likes this.
    01-06-2012 08:08 AM
    They should call it the iPhone Ultra Xtreme...iPhone 5 is too pedestrian, we need something with some ultra...and extreme (but spelled wrong).
    We should start naming them after a fictional character in a specific universe. Coughandroidcough

iPhone Voldemort
    iPhone Yoda
    iPhone Bornstellar makes eternal lasting (+5 internet points if anyone gets this)
    01-06-2012 03:24 PM
    iPhone Bornstellar makes eternal lasting (+5 internet points if anyone gets this)
    That's very Cryptum...I mean cryptic of you.
    Bias X likes this.
    01-08-2012 11:15 AM
    As long as an X is in the name, it's gold right? Steal the obvious xphone name that MS might take 5 more years to come up with.
    01-08-2012 03:36 PM
    It could be worst, imagine if the iPhone 4s was named the iPhone Galaxy S2 Epic 4g Touch.
    iquinn likes this.
    01-08-2012 04:55 PM
    That's very Cryptum...I mean cryptic of you.
    I think a like and a thanks equates to about 5 internet points. haha.
    01-08-2012 08:30 PM
    probably because most people are trained to go in some sort of chronological order

personally i think it is time to go away from the #'s and name it something cool!
    You mean like Samsung, with phones named Impression, Rumor, Exhilarate, Exhibit, Captivate, Admire, Replenish, etc... (I didn't make any of these up)

Maybe they'll name it the iPhone Anticipate, or the iPhone Procrastinate, possibly the iPhone Hesitate.
    01-10-2012 08:51 AM
    The name doesn't annoy me too much. I think it was a bigger deal when they changed it to a new number (iPhone 4) and then you had 4G networks rolling out. I talk to a lot of casual users looking at phones who just assume it's a 4G phone because of the name.

But they seem to have a pattern of changing the name whenever there's a major body redesign. The iPhone 4 body was well-received, but it has some technical problems, and the 4s fixes those without really changing the form factor. I think that they didn't want to call it an "iPhone 5" and get flamed for really not offering any dramatic improvements.
    01-13-2012 10:20 AM
    Lets have iPhone X with redesigned iOS X
    01-28-2012 10:02 PM
    So keep going with numbers??? Who the hell is gonna buy an iPhone 45? Now switching to roman numerals for a bit might not be a bad idea, iPhone X.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    01-28-2012 11:07 PM
    The name doesn't annoy me too much. I think it was a bigger deal when they changed it to a new number (iPhone 4) and then you had 4G networks rolling out. I talk to a lot of casual users looking at phones who just assume it's a 4G phone because of the name.

But they seem to have a pattern of changing the name whenever there's a major body redesign. The iPhone 4 body was well-received, but it has some technical problems, and the 4s fixes those without really changing the form factor. I think that they didn't want to call it an "iPhone 5" and get flamed for really not offering any dramatic improvements.
    Changing the form factor isn't a dramatic improvement. Dramatic improvements are a combination of improved screens, better processors, more memory, better battery, better camera, etc.

The 4S was "dramatic" improvement in my opinion as it had a lot of improvements.. I'd have no problem if they had called it iphone 5. Just about everything but the form factor changed for the better. Here's a few:

1. 2x processor of previous and 7x graphics. A big deal and it improves every other feature speeding things up.
    2. Much better camera, including more MP, face detection, 5 element lens, lets more light in.
    3. 1080p video including stabilization.
    4. Better mic.
    5. More storage.
    6. Siri
    7. HSPA+ and gsm/cdma dual mode
    8. Bluetooth 4.0
    9. Wireless mirroring
    10. Better antenna

I hear the "it looks like the iphone 4" arguments but that's just looks. Personally, i don't want something different each year meaning all the accessories are incompatible. Bored with how the phone looks? I don't get it when most cover it up with a case.
    01-29-2012 12:10 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD