iPhone 5 will have LTE

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Something to keep in mind - late last year Apple installed LTE equipment in some of their stores. Whether that was for an iPad, Mac, iPhone... I'll let you guys/gals debate that.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I believe it will ahve LTE but just if it does, they give us the option to switch to 3G. There are days when I'm not around a charger and need to make sure my phone lasts for the day.

Thegreatone3

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm switching to Verizon so I really want it to have LTE. The 3G speeds on Verizon (maybe 0.5-1.0 Mb/s) pale in comparison to AT&T's (3-6 Mb/s) in my area.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Something to keep in mind - late last year Apple installed LTE equipment in some of their stores. Whether that was for an iPad, Mac, iPhone... I'll let you guys/gals debate that.

yeah and some at&t stores got cases for a supposed iphone with a larger screen and look how that turned out....

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
yeah and some at&t stores got cases for a supposed iphone with a larger screen and look how that turned out....

Actually prove to me that happened. That was total BS and I said it back then. You don't want to go around in the same circle we went around last time do you?

*And I'm not saying the next iPhone will or will not have LTE. Just to be clear.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Actually prove to me that happened. That was total BS and I said it back then. You don't want to go around in the same circle we went around last time do you?

*And I'm not saying the next iPhone will or will not have LTE. Just to be clear.

I'm just saying you can't believe every possible rumor that goes out. Apple is the last to move to something so I could see them waiting again for lte. People would still buy it just like they did the 4s.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Just how much faster is 4G, or 4G LTE over 3G?

Much faster. But don't think many of apple's target audience cares. A retina screen will sell the ipad 3 while a new form factor (along with iOS 6) would be enough for the iphone 5.

The question really isn't can apple do LTE. But do they want or need to yet? Thinking ahead, what's compelling about an ipad 4? At that point after we've already gotten the retina we're all craving, it's internal bumps (no complaints from me) and yawns (from the clueless). With an iphone 5S, it's a repeat of the 4S critics crying how it will look the same. Saving LTE for those upgrades in 2013 could be smarter.

Personally, i don't care much yet given i probably won't see LTE (AT&T)in my area for a long time.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I'm just saying you can't believe every possible rumor that goes out. Apple is the last to move to something so I could see them waiting again for lte. People would still buy it just like they did the 4s.

Okay, I agree with that. That happens to be true though. But what it's for I truly don't know.

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Much faster. But don't think many of apple's target audience cares. A retina screen will sell the ipad 3 while a new form factor (along with iOS 6) would be enough for the iphone 5.

The question really isn't can apple do LTE. But do they want or need to yet? Thinking ahead, what's compelling about an ipad 4? At that point after we've already gotten the retina we're all craving, it's internal bumps (no complaints from me) and yawns (from the clueless). With an iphone 5S, it's a repeat of the 4S critics crying how it will look the same. Saving LTE for those upgrades in 2013 could be smarter.

Personally, i don't care much yet given i probably won't see LTE (AT&T)in my area for a long time.

I know that it's only talk, but people that i know in my area (Sarasota, Fl.), say that LTE will be here within the year. If Apple does go with a new form factor, a la Android, isn't Apple running the risk of people jumping ship, by not keeping up with the latest trends? Just my opinion.:)

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site

I think more care about lte than you think especially with verizon and how slow their 3g network is not to mention they are getting less and less 3g phones and wanting to move as many customers as they can to their lte network. Not to mention at&t and sprint are rolling out/will be rolling out their lte networks.

Timhewitt

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
People may care about LTE but they won't stand for 4 hour battery life.

Apple will wait until the low power chip sets are available in quantity - which is most likely another year.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
There comes a point where the numbers become more attractive than the actual usefulness, and i personally think this is the case with LTE. I form this opinion much like i do with Comcast, where people brag about the various speeds they experience in different cities, but many don't realize that the difference between those getting 12mbps and 20mbps are really negligible when it comes to what they will actually use or speeds they will actually experience while surfing the web or downloading things.

With LTE vs. the speeds you see with 3G/4G in today's market, what you actually use is pretty negligible...i mean sure, it's nice to be able to see a substantially higher speed coming from your hopped up hot rod of a phone, but it's essentially like driving a pro drag car on the street, you can smoke the tires and show off the big shiny engine to everyone, but when it comes down to it, the guy driving the nice sports car is nearly as fast where it counts, and is laughing at you when you've run out of gas a mile down the road.

Bottom line, i know some people are purely about numbers...it'll never change. Overclock this, LTE that...it becomes less about what they actually use and more about having the fastest everything according to the numbers. I've got no problem with that, some people love to show off muscle...I'm happy with the speeds i get from the 3G service on my iPhone both tethering and on the handset itself...even if it doesn't grunt and intimidate people, its certainly as potent as anyone would really use in the real world these days.

LTE
bolo-yeung.jpg

3G/4G
brucelee1.jpg

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I think more care about lte than you think especially with verizon and how slow their 3g network is not to mention they are getting less and less 3g phones and wanting to move as many customers as they can to their lte network. Not to mention at&t and sprint are rolling out/will be rolling out their lte networks.

Since when did Apple start worrying about what a few people care about? Apple will do what's best for Apple. And right now that isn't LTE. Its target mainstream market isn't there yet (that's apple's priority, not us, the techie or geeky segment of their market).

Please note, i'm not saying LTE is a bad thing. We all want faster. I'd like it as well. This is about do we think the iphone 5 will have it. I don't think so. There's good reasons for both pro & con. But when it's apple, i usually side on the cons. It's usually been the case that it's not likely to happen in such cases.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
There comes a point where the numbers become more attractive than the actual usefulness, and i personally think this is the case with LTE. I form this opinion much like i do with Comcast, where people brag about the various speeds they experience in different cities, but many don't realize that the difference between those getting 12mbps and 20mbps are really negligible when it comes to what they will actually use or speeds they will actually experience while surfing the web or downloading things.

With LTE vs. the speeds you see with 3G/4G in today's market, what you actually use is pretty negligible...i mean sure, it's nice to be able to see a substantially higher speed coming from your hopped up hot rod of a phone, but it's essentially like driving a pro drag car on the street, you can smoke the tires and show off the big shiny engine to everyone, but when it comes down to it, the guy driving the nice sports car is nearly as fast where it counts, and is laughing at you when you've run out of gas a mile down the road.

Bottom line, i know some people are purely about numbers...it'll never change. Overclock this, LTE that...it becomes less about what they actually use and more about having the fastest everything according to the numbers. I've got no problem with that, some people love to show off muscle...I'm happy with the speeds i get from the 3G service on my iPhone both tethering and on the handset itself...even if it doesn't grunt and intimidate people, its certainly as potent as anyone would really use in the real world these days.

I agree and have always felt this way. My 6-8 down is more than ample. I don't need to go faster on a mobile network just to have horrid battery drain. Not to mention go thru my data even faster if AT&T is going to be throttling.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Since when did Apple start worrying about what a few people care about? Apple will do what's best for Apple. And right now that isn't LTE. Its target mainstream market isn't there yet (that's apple's priority, not us, the techie or geeky segment of their market).

Please note, i'm not saying LTE is a bad thing. We all want faster. I'd like it as well. This is about do we think the iphone 5 will have it. I don't think so. There's good reasons for both pro & con. But when it's apple, i usually side on the cons. It's usually been the case that it's not likely to happen in such cases.

So 80 million+ customers are a few people?:confused::confused:

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I agree and have always felt this way. My 6-8 down is more than ample. I don't need to go faster on a mobile network just to have horrid battery drain. Not to mention go thru my data even faster if AT&T is going to be throttling.

The only difference is verizon customers don't get that luxury on 3g.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
So 80 million+ customers are a few people?:confused::confused:

You trying to say all of verizon's customers care about LTE? I suppose the iphone 4S never had a chance on verizon. Oh wait.. Bet ya an iphone 5 without LTE will still murder all the other phones released on Verizon this year.

Last edited: