iPhone 5 will have LTE

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Apple to Add 4G LTE to IPhone 5, IPad 3 - Forbes

Apple is reportedly adding 4G LTE to its iPhone 5 and iPad 3, as the company looks to level the playing field with Android devices.

The Cupertino, Calif.-based company?s CEO, Tim Cook, met with executives at NTT DoCoMo, a Japanese wireless carrier, to talk about when the devices will be available, according to Nikkei Business. The iPad 3 will reportedly hit the carrier in the summer, with the iPhone 5 following it in the fall.

Apple continued its tablets? early spring release schedule in the U.S. with the iPad 2 this year, and Japan got the device six weeks later. The current reports about the release of the iPad 3 would follow this same model, and analysts believe the iPhone 5 would come next fall, following the shifted release of the iPhone 4S from June to October.

Many consumers were disappointed by the lack of LTE support in the 4S when it launched earlier this year, after several Android devices capable of the 4G speeds had already been released.

Some customers may be upset they can?t purchase an LTE-capable Apple device, but it?s hard to argue the company has made a mistake. The iPhone 4S is selling at a higher rate than any of its predecessors, and the iPad has continued to power Apple to the top of the list in tablet market share.

Meanwhile, early LTE smartphones have proven to have poor battery life, a bulky design, or both. Apple likely bypassed LTE with its fifth-generation iPhone, choosing instead to put a premium on a slick design and strong battery performance, which has paid off in sales.

Waiting for next year to add LTE capabilities to its devices makes sense for the company. The evolving technology will make it easier and cheaper for the company to incorporate LTE chips in their devices without compromising its designs or the efficiency of its batteries. In addition, Verizon?s LTE network will be serving even more of the country, and AT&T will be at the height of its LTE rollout.

Next year may be the perfect time for Apple to add LTE capabilities to its iPhone and iPad devices, but if it doesn?t, the company will run the risk of truly falling behind the pack.

This post originally appeared at Mobiledia.

Kristy_Lyn

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
I agree it is pretty much a given, however apple first has to figure out how to make it and still have decent battery life on the phone. I'm expecting to see a slight design change to accommodate a bigger battery.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I agree it is pretty much a given, however apple first has to figure out how to make it and still have decent battery life on the phone. I'm expecting to see a slight design change to accommodate a bigger battery.

That's what I just told my wife

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phil DeLong

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I personally don't care that much if it has LTE or not, 3G is still doing me just fine. If they do include it, maintaining battery life better be their first concern.

DaPhoneking

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site

Honestly it's time for a whole new redesign...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
AT&T's LTE network is now on in a few markets and being rolled out so they should have it for the next iPhone.

greasemuntney

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
I waited and did not upgrade to the i4S for this reason. I want a 4G iPhone and the next should be. The speed differences I have seen with 3G to 4G is pretty amazing. 2-5 meg 3G and 16-22 meg 4G is a pretty good jump. I know Apple will have to figure for more battery usage with the new system. But if anyone can produce a high quality 4G phone Apple should be able to. My wife and I both are almost due a update and we both decided to just wait for the i5. Hope we are making the right chose.

0pusX

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
With verizon announcing at CES that ALL smartphones realeased from this point forward are required to have LTE capabilities on their network just reaffirms what we all have been assuming....it will have LTE

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I personally don't care that much if it has LTE or not, 3G is still doing me just fine. If they do include it, maintaining battery life better be their first concern.

With verizon announcing at CES that ALL smartphones realeased from this point forward are required to have LTE capabilities on their network just reaffirms what we all have been assuming....it will have LTE

My only concern is about losing my unlimited data if I have to switch from a 3G iPhone to an LTE iPhone.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site

That isn't what they said and was proved wrong by another article.

Shooter03

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

Yes please bigger battery. HUGE!!!!

Timhewitt

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Apple will wait until the low power LTE chipsets are available in volume. Could easily be another year. No one wants an iPhone you have to charge three times a day.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR