This is why I don't think there will be a iphone 5 today

durangojim#AC

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
First of all, I could be very wrong (obviously) but I don't think there's going to be a newly designed iphone 5 announced today, or if there is an iphone 5 it will be what we've been calling the iphone 4s.
Here's my reasoning:
1. All the parts leaks we've seen have been for a device that looks the same/similar to the iphone 4
2. All the software leaks (itunes) we've seen has been for the iphone 4s
3. Most importantly, and something I don't see many speaking about, from a price perspective I don't see how Apple could charge $99 for an iphone 4s with an updated processor, more memory, and better camera. I do see them dropping the price of the iphone 4 to $99 and introducing the new model iphone 4 at $199 and $299, which would then mean if they did make and introduce an iphone 5 it would have to cost more than that starting at $399 and going higher for more memory, which makes little business sense. The top of the market seems to support phones less than $300 and even with the Apple tax I don't see them selling an iphone 5 for $399 no matter how nice it is.

Just my reasoning, we'll see later if I'm correct.

tlo07

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
How about: Drop the 3gs altogether, $49 iPhone 4 (w/ contract), $99 iPhone 4s (w/contract) and iPhone 5 at the usual price points? I like that idea much better! :)

AgentHeracles

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
How about: Drop the 3gs altogether, $49 iPhone 4 (w/ contract), $99 iPhone 4s (w/contract) and iPhone 5 at the usual price points? I like that idea much better! :)

But what about those buying the iPhone 4 off contract, how much would that be considering the obvious price drop of previous models? I believe that either way they are dropping shelf-space for the 3gs, marking the iPhone 4 it's replacement at lower price point. If they announce 2 phones instead of one they could do the 4s with 16/32gb of memory and the 5 with 32/64gb of memory. If they do this 2 phone announcement the 5 could be 3g/4g LTE but I believe this will happen because iOS5 is coded to work with 4g LTE, with the 4s being just 3g. The biggest they could make the screen would be 4" just .5 bigger than it is now.

DJ