IPhone 5 Exclusive on Sprint?

liquidzoo

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Launching with Sprint support: 80/20 yes

Sprint Exclusive: 100% no.

As much as one of my friends would like to argue this point, there is no way it will be Sprint exclusive.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone here really think that Apple would enrage their loyal users on AT&T and Verizon to give Sprint this deal?

If you do, send me some of what you're drinking and/or smoking because I want to live in a fantasy world too :D

pilsbury

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
LOL@kch. No way AT&T is not going to get the i5. Sprint couldnt handle an exclusive, and ATT and Apple have a VERY lucrative partnership (for both parties) going.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Is this Apple's attempt to bully AT&T and Verizon back into offering unlimited data plans?

Because if it is, I LIKE IT.

That would actually make sense. But there's absolutely no way Apple is giving Sprint the iPhone 5 and no one else.

I can see Apple and Sprint having some serious marketing together though, if Sprint does indeed keep unlimited data for the iPhone.

liquidzoo

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Might also explain why Apple Stores have been installing 4G equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apple already has a deal with Verizon, who is running a 4G (well, 3.5G officially) LTE network. AT&T also has a LTE network up, though it's very small right now.

Sprint's LTE network is still in testing last I heard, and only their WiMAX network was up (though incredibly spotty in a lot of places I've heard).

The rest of the world is going with LTE (the big carriers anyway), though it has been reported from Apple (a year-ish ago, can't find the link atm) that the first 4G iPhone will be the iPhone 6 (at the earliest). Very little chance of a 4G iPhone this time around, and a much less chance of it being WiMAX when no other large carrier in the world could use the technology.

Seriously, don't get your hopes up for a Sprint exclusive iPhone 5. Sprint's network, as robust as they make it sound, would be crippled.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I can't see them changing it just for Sprint. Look how they kept the same one when verizon got it. I can't see them staggering a release on the nations two largest carriers. They would be losing out on a ton of customers.

DrewBear

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Let's not confuse the two main stories that just broke.

WSJ is reporting a NON-EXCLUSIVE agreement for Sprint to buy $20 billion worth of iPhones over 4 yrs. Nothing about 4G/WiMAX. This is a credible story.

BGR is reporting an exclusive agreement for Sprint to get the 4G iPhone 5 months before it is released to AT&T and Verizon as a LTE phone. This is total BS.

Netherscourge

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Why would Sprint just go buy $20 billion worth of iPhone 5s if they weren't getting some sort of trade-off?

Not only are they paying $20B up front, they'd have to eat some of the iPhone 5's actual per-unit cost just to get people to buy it and sign up on their network.

That's a pretty huge gamble if they aren't getting something from Apple to make it worth it.

Neutrino

Banned
Jun 7, 2009
Visit site
Let's not confuse the two main stories that just broke.

WSJ is reporting a NON-EXCLUSIVE agreement for Sprint to buy $20 billion worth of iPhones over 4 yrs. Nothing about 4G/WiMAX. This is a credible story.

BGR is reporting an exclusive agreement for Sprint to get the 4G iPhone 5 months before it is released to AT&T and Verizon as a LTE phone. This is total BS.

Absolutely true on both parts. The bit about 4G/WiMax is entirely from BG's speculation. I wouldn't call it BS. It is insightful into the possible goings on of Sprint. Credible, maybe not. Only one way to validate that - tomorrow!

"I have been going back and forth for weeks with one of my incredibly solid industry contacts on a piece of information that I couldn?t really process at first ? information that is so unbelievable, even from a source this solid, that I couldn?t report it. With this new WSJ report on an Apple/Sprint deal, however, it doesn?t look so crazy. Hit the break for more.

I have been told that Sprint will be getting the iPhone 5 ? yes the real iPhone 5, not the iPhone 4S ? as an exclusive. And it will be a 4G WiMAX device. AT&T and Verizon would launch the iPhone 4S and get the iPhone 5 some time in the first quarter of next year as an LTE device. Globally, the iPhone 5 might be available as a 4G HSPA+ device."

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods